How will pixels change our vision

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

How will pixels change our vision

Post by Firebird »

Hi, wasn't sure where to post this but I've been thinking about digital TV and the way we view things in pixels. And with the added blue light that's transmitted from these devices it seems like change is going to happen to our vision in some way but I couldn't possibly predict what that change may be. We still view our daily lives in real time viewing of cones and rods, but we spend a lot of time in front of screens... so how is that going to evolve the way our eyeballs see if things in the real world, what will be fact and what will be fiction?

I remember the Olympics back in maybe 1984 was the first time they broadcast some events in Digital it was supposed to be all the rage but I noticed I couldn't see the free flowing form of the ribbon event or anything that had a lot of movement in it.... it just broke it up like jig jig jig jig jig and I could tell I wasn't seeing the true action. It really bothers me now when I'm watching TV and especially like the football games when they're viewing the feild from way up and the lines are all wavy.... just not not true vision, I don't know how to explain myself here.
My vision has declined greatly in the last 5 or so years, however I have no way of knowing if that's due to aging or to the fact that I've been in front of a screen more and more in that time frame.
Twilight Dancer recently mentioned a break away from her technology, which I think, personally, is a good idea. Heck, we old folks managed to navigate this world before all this high-tech garbage and we did okay.

The rate of increased agitation and depression as well as conflict war and turmoil in this world, I would say is directly related to everyone being so connected to this technology that will provide scenarios of war and other violent actios that are so real it's creating patterns in our brain that are rewiring the way we view the world in real life. All too often we're hearing of mass shootings it's becoming the norm and that's just not right.
This is just one extreem view of how technology is rewiring our brain.
I think of the saying that was not to place all your eggs in one basket, and it would seem to me that when we use our devices for all our banking and bills and purchases and whatnot we are placing all our eggs in one basket. What will happen when we haved placed all our reliability in this?... the day it goes down will be screwed.
I had a child at our house one day about 15 years ago... now I don't have this phone anymore but it was a dial phone, she wanted to call home. She looked at the phone looked at me, looked at the phone and asked how to use it, Wow.
I may also be one of the last persons on the planet who doesn't own a cell phone... I don't want to be so wired in that I can't think about anything else. Downside to this is because everyone does have their own phone, pay phones are becoming really scarce.
Anyhoo, I can see how this is just now turned into a technology rant..... my real point is how will these devices change our viewing?change our eyesight? change the way we see the world? kind of scary.
Kassandra posted about some meds for this...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 31884.html

Health to all! Slainte!

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
bluejay_1919

Re: How will pixels change our vision

Post by bluejay_1919 »

I see what you're talking about. I have a cell phone and I enjoy it. I check email, forums , recipes and play music on it all day. However, I make sure I don't stay on it all the time. I don't text that much or get many phone calls. When my husband and daughter are home, the phone is put up. When we got out to dinner,I don't reach for my phone. I cringe at the sight of couples sitting at a table, not talking or even looking at each other because they are on they're phones checking Facebook or whatever. Kind of makes me sad. I refuse to do any social media other than this forum and two other forums. I prefer to speak to a person than text out a whole conversation. Unfortunately, most would rather text.

Remember the days when you would receive a card or letter in the mail for a birthday or holiday?? Now I get stinking group texts saying the same thing.." happy bday!" "Merry Christmas " yada yada. There's alot of good to cell phones and alot of bad. I just try my best to not be too involved with my phone,hahaha.

Best memory of going without a phone...we took a trip to South America to find my family. Our phones wouldn't work there so my husband and I read books together and enjoyed every second of nature, in silence. No emails, no annoying texts. Just us. Loved it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

bluejay_1919 wrote:When my husband and daughter are home, the phone is put up.
This has always been a rule in our house, and when I was growing up, if the phone rang dad would answer and say sorry we are having dinner, they'll have to call you back, click. It used to annoy the heck out of him, like don't people know its the dinner hour?
Hahaha ....
I used to joke with my daughter because she was so gluuuuuuued to the phone that someday she would have an inplant just behind her earlobe. With a touch if the finger, click, hello? May I help you?....YIKES !! and now that isn't so far fetched....c'mon technology, I was just kidding. :annoyed:
bluejay_1919 wrote:Remember the days when you would receive a card or letter in the mail
yes, and I still try very much to send them. Just did...to me mum the other day, can't get away with sending her an e bitdhday...she does not have a computer. ..hahaha, but she does have a cell phone!, we kids kind of insisted because she likes to walk and she's alone a lot but then we get mad at her because she doesn't turn it on! She just turned 87.
Yea, ...the day of saying I'll meet you here on this day, via a prior land line or snail mail conservation, are gone. Wonder how we ever managed to find our camping buddies in all those remote places? halfsm

anyway back to pixels and evolution
Just saw this guy get an iris insert to change his eye color, heaZeus ! What are we doing?
At the risk of loosing that precious gift?
Are our eyes going to be able to morph with the change, or will everyone end up with corective lenses?
Bb,
Ponderingbird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Oh! Now they can go in a do a laser procedure to change people with dark brown eyes to blue. Apparently, everyone that has dark brown eyes has a beginning layer of blue underneath. So they can remove the brown pigment down to reveal the blue.

I have dark chocolate brown eyes and I find this weird. But to each their own. There are colored lenses for fun and they're not permanent. Once you remove your eye color, there is no getting it back.
Becks

Post by Becks »

It's a thought worth pondering for sure. I thought about that same thing when we went from 35 mm film to digital cameras, and again when we changed lightbulbs (here in Canada anyways) from incandescents to the new "full spectrum" Eco lights. I agree with an environmental move, but I miss the quality of the old lights and their warm glow. There is something off putting about the new lights for me. Like you say Firebird-These things change the way we perceive the world nina the our brain. We gain some things yes, but something is also changed. I was sad to think the world I live in and the light is different to that of my great grandmother and grandmother.

I also feel like life goes too fast now, but I think that would be another thread.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I should add that a friend and I were going colour testing for tiny different win between hues, and I know I would do a lot better, and pick it up instantly, if the samples weren't on computer screens. The colours just aren't the same....
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Haha, that's one thing that would make us florists crazy, is the color coordinating moms who would come in with a picture of the dress the girl is going to wear and trying to match the colour of the flower or the ribbon for the corsage, I kept trying to explain to them that the colors aren't true ...of course they know better :?

The plant lobelia has a beautiful bright vivid electric blue flowers that you absolutely cannot capture with a digital camera.
I miss my 35mm, but digital has turned me into a photo whore, and I love it. The pic is there instantly. I think my dad would have liked this technology.

Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Becks

Post by Becks »

Oh I agree. The ability to self edit and save money-while taking as many photos as you please gives people more feedback and we become much bette photographers so quickly now.

There are just some things that you can't see but with the eye.

Firebird, you're a florist? That's so cool. Then you are an artist. No wonder the quality of colour and vision means the world to you.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”