Housewife Witchcraft?

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Feather&Stone

Housewife Witchcraft?

Post by Feather&Stone »

I'm curious as to what category a witch whose focus is incorporating her craft into being a housewife/homemaker would fall into? I'm thinking like a hearth witch or kitchen witch but would love insight. My practice has evolved very much into home remedies, keeping a peaceful & safe home, making magick a part of my cooking, etc.
I would just really appreciate anyone's insight or tips! Thank you. :)

Fawn
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Housewife Witchcraft?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Absolutely -- hearth & kitchen witchcraft seem right up your alley. I practice a lot of kitchen witchcraft, and the basic principle behind it is that the ordinary things that we do (tidying the home, cooking, caring for our families) are often the most sacred. There are a lot of ways to do this -- some of the simplest ways are to simply meditate while doing household tasks like sweeping, or stirring your food sunwise to promote positive energy. You could also consider doing house blessings, keeping a kitchen altar, making herbal remedies, cooking special healing recipes, honoring household deities such as Vesta or local land spirits, etc. (in truth, that's probably where a lot of witchcraft originated from, and how many people practiced witchcraft on the sly for centuries)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

This is a great topic and I hope more chime in! I am a housewife/ stay at home mom. I care for our home, plants, 2 Sphynx kitties and my 3 year old and my 86 year old mother, who just moved into our mother in law suite out of a nursing home.

It is very important to me to keep our home clean and peaceful. I practice Feng Shui and I have small altars throughout our house. Any reminders of peace and beauty of nature I try to put everywhere since I go in every room several times a day. This includes pictures of family, plants, art of any kind. I burn incense and I have candles everywhere!! During the day I play peaceful music and take pleasure in making my coffee or tea. And in the evening I love to light my candles. The warm glow I find kind of calms everyone done and we relax.

I like that it was pointed out how these things are sacred. Yes!!! What a perfect word! Others may think my "job" is simple and forgettable...but to me, our home is our sanctuary and it's my job to keep the energy around us light and positive. Plus, caring for a toddler and an elderly person is hard and I find taking care of my household duties in a sacred way, helps me as well, to relax and find peace.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Feather&Stone, I thought of these when I read your post, Feather&Stone: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23990.html. I think the main thrust of practical witchcraft is for the aims you described, that of tending to the welfare of family and home, and these activities are, of course, not limited to just female witches, nor to adult witches.

Cheers.

mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

This is so me. .. Almost everything I do is for my family and keeping peace and happiness. .. It's just " folk magick " to me. It's what my ancestors did and what comes intuitively. .. Put your heart into everything. Never cook with a negative thought in your head it goes into the food. Do everything you can possibly do with love
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

Kitchen Witch, Hearth Witch, Hedge Witch, Cottage Witch, and even Traditional Witch.

It's all good.

Learn how to make oils and potions and incenses.

Also cook magickal meals.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

Xiao Rong wrote:Absolutely -- hearth & kitchen witchcraft seem right up your alley. I practice a lot of kitchen witchcraft, and the basic principle behind it is that the ordinary things that we do (tidying the home, cooking, caring for our families) are often the most sacred. There are a lot of ways to do this -- some of the simplest ways are to simply meditate while doing household tasks like sweeping, or stirring your food sunwise to promote positive energy. You could also consider doing house blessings, keeping a kitchen altar, making herbal remedies, cooking special healing recipes, honoring household deities such as Vesta or local land spirits, etc. (in truth, that's probably where a lot of witchcraft originated from, and how many people practiced witchcraft on the sly for centuries)
Thank you! I love the idea of keeping a kitchen altar, that's phenomenal.
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

bluejay_1919 wrote:This is a great topic and I hope more chime in! I am a housewife/ stay at home mom. I care for our home, plants, 2 Sphynx kitties and my 3 year old and my 86 year old mother, who just moved into our mother in law suite out of a nursing home.

It is very important to me to keep our home clean and peaceful. I practice Feng Shui and I have small altars throughout our house. Any reminders of peace and beauty of nature I try to put everywhere since I go in every room several times a day. This includes pictures of family, plants, art of any kind. I burn incense and I have candles everywhere!! During the day I play peaceful music and take pleasure in making my coffee or tea. And in the evening I love to light my candles. The warm glow I find kind of calms everyone done and we relax.

I like that it was pointed out how these things are sacred. Yes!!! What a perfect word! Others may think my "job" is simple and forgettable...but to me, our home is our sanctuary and it's my job to keep the energy around us light and positive. Plus, caring for a toddler and an elderly person is hard and I find taking care of my household duties in a sacred way, helps me as well, to relax and find peace.
I could not have phrased it any better! I really like that you have altars around the house. And keeping home a sanctuary isn't simple or forgettable! Thank you for your insight and encouragement. Blessed be!
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

mrsdavid1975 wrote:This is so me. .. Almost everything I do is for my family and keeping peace and happiness. .. It's just " folk magick " to me. It's what my ancestors did and what comes intuitively. .. Put your heart into everything. Never cook with a negative thought in your head it goes into the food. Do everything you can possibly do with love

Yes! Definitely doing everything with love. I'm so glad I started this thread!
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

Kassandra wrote:.

I thought of these when I read your post, Feather&Stone: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23990.html.

I think the main thrust of practical witchcraft is for the aims you described, that of tending to the welfare of family and home, and these activities are, of course, not limited to just female witches, nor to adult witches.

Cheers.

Thank you! I agree, the practice of caring for the home and keeping it sacred are for everyone. Blessed be! :)
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

Chalice wrote:Kitchen Witch, Hearth Witch, Hedge Witch, Cottage Witch, and even Traditional Witch.

It's all good.

Thank you!
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

Oh! And Kassandra, those cards are perfect!!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Chalice wrote:Kitchen Witch, Hearth Witch, Hedge Witch, Cottage Witch, and even Traditional Witch.

It's all good.

Hate to hijack this post, but where might one find a comprehensive list (if there is one) of these different types of witchcraft...? I'm just curious what all types would be listed. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Rosie
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Oo, now you're making me think (ouch, waking that little squirrel up so he could start running on the little treadmill hurts). There's actually a comprehensive list of types of witchcraft somewhere on this massive message board (the posts of this board go back 11 years, so yeah, it will be quite a hunt). I can't remember where it is. I'll have to leave it to you to use the search feature, I just don't have the time to look for it right now. I think I remember seeing more than one such list, actually. Sometimes things just come to me suddenly when I'm not thinking about them, so I'll let you know if I manage to remember, or if I have time to find it (them) in a search.

autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

Hello, is still someone here? I'm all for that type of witchcraft, that happens at home and is very mundane. A good book to start is Ellen Dugans 'Cottage Witchery', but there are a million other good books out there. It feels like every witch writes about magical house cleaning and such (Whitehurst, Cunningham...). Oh, but one that stands out is Denise Lynn, look her up, really good, and she not only writes about 'Sacred Space', really worth a look.

Can you recommend more books? And has anyone read Silver Ravenwolfs Hedge Witchery, I'm really interested but I couldn't find a good used copy (I buy most of my books used).
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”