MsMollimizz' writings

Post your short stories, articles, etc. here.
MsMollimizz

MsMollimizz' writings

Post by MsMollimizz »

This winter I need to get my butt off the puter
and put pen to paper again. I haven't written anything
in awhile. Maybe I can soon ? I love to write when it's
raining ! Okay, enjoy Gentle People !

Watch Where You Step

The pressures of everyday life started to pull me down, deep into an abyss. When things get to me, I’d go for a walk by the water. This time, I was compelled to go walking in the woods, as if drawn. Something about being surrounded by trees, listening to the wind blowing through the branches, appealed to me.
Hearing the animals scurry across the fallen leaves as I approach, assures me I was not alone. The air is crisp and clean, the rocks glistening with moisture from recent rains. In shadows of trees, rain still clung to leaves of the mighty oaks. Up ahead on the path, a patch of fog still lingered at the base of some ancient oaks, as if forgotten.
I’ve always liked walking in the fog; it gives a sensation of isolation. The fog mixes with the subjects in the crowded mind, making it easier to single out a few at a time. I can sort through and clear out those thoughts not needed.
Walking into the fog, I felt a chill run through me, although the fog was strangely warm, like a muscle-soothing bath after a long day. It engulfed me with a misty white all around; dark columns were the only visible difference. I stood looking about. This was larger than it first appeared.
Behind me, the same warm, misty white, and I knew I’d only taken a few steps into it.
“I am looking behind myself?” I wondered, as I take a couple steps in the direction I came; finding only more fog. Walking in small circles, hoping to find the edge.
Feeling the sun on my back as it tried to break through the density, I headed in that direction. Clearing the fog, I found myself in an open pasture. The sounds of a stream bubbling and splashing over rocks. I didn’t remember living near such a beautiful pasture.
Better get an idea of where I am, don’t want to get into any trouble from being on someone’s property.
Going parallel with the tree line, I hoped to spot a house to see if I could figure out where I was. Trees, open meadows and horses, but no houses in sight. I decided to check out the horses since I had not spied any dwellings.
As I drew closer, a palomino stallion raised his head to look at me.
Instead of walking the other way as I approached, he walked towards me!
As I reached out to stroke the blonde mane, he stepped closer. His coarse hair felt combed smooth and tangle free.
Stroking his mane, I heard a voice. “What brings you here, human child?”
Glancing over my shoulder, I saw no one. Looking back towards the horse, I saw a dapple-gray mare approaching. She drew up beside the stallion and nuzzled me, I heard another voice.
“Have you no voice? No thought?”
Had I gone through the looking glass? Staring at these horses, I saw no difference about them.
“Where am I?” I blurted out, breaking the silence.
Startled, the horses jumped, but did not run away. The stallion walked back to me, leaning against my leg with his foreleg touching mine. Again, I heard a voice, distinct, yet full of pride, like what one would expect from a herd stallion.
How could this be happening? I wondered. Horses don’t talk to people, not in English.
“You do not have to yell. I hear your thoughts, when I want to, quite well.”
I must be dreaming, sure is vivid for a dream. Here I am, in a meadow. I can smell the damp earth with the dew lifting from the grass. The sun feels warm shining down on my back. I’m stroking this majestic stallion, which happens to be talking to me. Is there something wrong with this picture?
“Only through contact, may one of another species be able to hear us.” I heard him say, as if answering my thoughts.
Well, if I’m to figure out what’s going on, I’d better play along with this!
“Where am I?” I asked in thought, this time.
“You do not know?” the stallion replied, turning his head to look at me.
I shook my head. “No.” I thought to him.
“From where did you come?” he asked guardedly.
“I went walking in the woods behind my house, just after the rain,” I thought, going over the events that happened. “I came across a patch of fog in the shadows of some oak trees. Walking into it, it was strangely warm. I went in circles trying to find a way out, until I felt the sun burning through the fog. So here I am.”
The palomino smelled me, and eyed me cautiously.
“You did not, then, come from the mountain beyond the valley?”
He asked as he turned his head and pointed with his nose towards the mountains off in the distance.
I shook my head “no”, when he turned and looked at me again.
He looked at me for what seemed like forever. I almost felt like I’d done something wrong.
“Human child,” he finally spoke to me. “I know not of the fog in which you say you came. I do not detect any malice from you; therefore, I will help you. First, I will chew a few more mouthfuls, I feel I may need my strength!” The mare nodded her head as if in agreement. They both went back to grazing.
I went in the direction of the stream I had heard bubbling earlier. Large granite rocks stood by the stream; I took a seat on one. Upstream, I saw the water splashing over a natural dam of fallen trees and branches, caught on their trip down stream. Small rocks appeared to have settled in place just to hold the wood. In front of me, the water, calm, ran on smoothly, so clear that you could count every pebble, if it weren’t for the slight ripple in the water’s surface. Cupping my hands for a drink sure is cold. A slight taste of clover blossoms. I was about to take another drink, hearing footfall and a whinny behind me; I stopped and turned around.
The mare was heading towards me; she was shaking her head and tossing it in the direction of upstream.
“I wish I could hear you without contact.” I thought to her as I walked towards her, then I got an idea…
Not sure if it would even work, and if so, would the horses? The mare tilted her head as if curious. Did she understand what I was contemplating? Standing beside her, I laid my arm over her withers.
“It is not wise,” she told me. “To drink from the still pool. Drink only from the water that moves swift, least you become ill.” She pointed again with her nose towards the small waterfall.
“I’ll remember that next time. I have a wild idea, mare, I’m not sure if it’ll even work.” Contemplating the possibilities, she eyed me strangely, I knew then, she understood.
“Take hold of my mane.” She said. As I did, I removed my other arm to break contact.
“Can you hear me?” she asked.
I nodded. Taking hold of her tail, she asked again and again I nodded.
“How many do you think it’ll take?” I asked her.
“Try six first,” she said. “Hope this works.”
Counting six hairs from her tail, I saw the stallion on his way over to see what we were up to. I felt her tail jerk up and the hairs come out.
“Ouch!” I heard her say, wondering if it had been before or after.
“Well?” she said.
“It worked!” I said aloud, not thinking. My sudden outburst spooked both horses. After they both settled down, the stallion started back towards me, and I went to meet him also.
“I am glad, I would not like…” the mare’s voice began to fade as I got farther away. Walking back, I heard her finish, “…no reason.”
Feeling a warm breath on my neck, I knew he was there. He placed his head over my shoulder and “spoke”.
“What is this I hear? You two have overcome the barrier of conversing without contact?” He turned his head a bit to look at me, and then he spied the hairs in my hand.
“Yes,” I told him. “If I get more than a body’s length away the voice fades.”
Taking the hairs, I doubled them over. Wrapping them around my wrist I realized I couldn’t tie them with one hand, so, I placed them around my ankle.
“Are you not going to get some of his hair, that you could hear him also?” the mare asked. I could almost detect a smile on her muzzle.
I watched the stallion, waiting for a reply. The gray hair from her, and the palomino white hair from him, would good braided together.
“I concede. You may extract a few hairs from my tail, only if you promise not to tell any other humans here about this.” The proud horse replied. I promised. I counted out six hairs from his tail, I heard her tell him to pull up his tail. She called him by his name, I guessed, though I couldn’t repeat it.
Sitting down, I took off my moccasin and looped the hairs over my toe, and started braiding. The horses turned and started to walk. I heard her ask him if he had any good ideas about me.
“Yes,” he said. “If you…” as his voice faded. I tied the braid around my ankle, replaced the moccasin, and waited for them to return.
I wondered if there were any berries and such around. If I had to stay the night, I’d better start thinking about food. I am in the wilds, right? At least, there’s no sign of civilization, yet the comment about other humans here? Are there others here? My eyes fell to the braid around my ankle, I could hear them for a little ways, and I wondered how far away they’d hear me. Raising my head, I saw the two returning.
“You mean to tell me there are other humans here?” I asked as they drew near.
“In the mountains, beyond the valley, is a village of humans.” The mare told me.
“We do not need them!” the stallion told me. “We can handle your situation on our own.”
“I was just curious as to whether or not there are others here.” I told the stallion. “I had not considered asking for their input.”
“I see.” The stallion said, nodding his head slowly.
“You know, I was wondering, since I can hear you two from just so far away, how far away can you hear me?” I asked.
“On the way back over,” the mare said. “I heard you thinking about food. How far away, I have no idea.”
“Being a meat eater,” the stallion began. “It must be difficult to eat among the berries and nuts.”
“It will be different.” I told him, but at that moment I had thoughts of home.
This place is nice and peaceful, with no one placing demands on me or requesting my presence. This place doesn’t have the security of a roof over the head, or a nice warm bed to crawl into. I am not able to just go to the cupboard to get something to eat, or call my neighbor, just to hear another human voice.
This place, wherever it is, does have a calming effect on me, one that enables me to clear my head, and be thankful for what I do have, not what I don’t. Yes, I would like to be home again, even with all the pressures and demands that go along with it. At least, at home I would know what to expect when I turned around!
“Human child,” the stallion spoke to me through my thoughts. “I believe you have created your own foggy mist, to escape where you came from. I did not mean to listen to your thoughts, but since you have decided you were better off where you were, I now see a fog building around you. I leave you to your thoughts, good luck."
I looked up at him, only to see the fog around me; it was cold this time. Not knowing what to expect, I tried to get up, out of this fog, but my legs wouldn’t move. Panic started to set in as I held onto myself. I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best.
Feeling the sun once again on my back, I slowly opened my eyes to see that I was back in the woods behind my house. How could this be?
I was just in a pasture moments before, wasn’t I? I did leave the woods and go… Where was I? The stallion never did answer that question.
The stallion… When I started thinking about home, and the comforts I knew I had at home; the fog appeared, again? How can that…a pasture in my mind?
Thinking back over what had just occurred, maybe the horses were right. Maybe I did come from the mountains beyond the valley? How? Being there, made me realize I am grateful for what I do have. Pressures of everyday life make me lose sight of what is important. Stress never gets you anywhere but older, quicker. Rose-colored glasses in the mind? It all seemed so real, the water so cold, the smell of clover blossoms, everything; except talking to the horses.
“Created my own fog.” The stallion said; I could almost believe that.
Relaxing my arms, my hand brushed up against something. Looking down, I saw the braided horse hair anklet, only now it was all black!
When I touched it, I could almost swear I heard a horse’s whinny off in the distance. Gazing off in that direction, I saw the remains of the fog, still clinging to the ground by those ancient oaks.
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Becks

Re: Okay, I'll share this...

Post by Becks »

This is great! What's your process? Did you literally write an experience, or is this more stream of consciousness and writing of a vision? Cool stuff Miss M.
Deejean

Re: Okay, I'll share this...

Post by Deejean »

This is beautiful! I would love to know the background behind the creation of thos piece as well! :)

Return to “Creative Writing”