Healing my lemontree

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
blue_moon

Healing my lemontree

Post by blue_moon »

I really hope someone here has an idea what I can try.

I have this lemon tree that's very special to me. I grew it from seed 4 years ago <3 it is so special to me.
In summer I put it out on my sunny balcony and bring it in when it gets cooler. Its right by a window facing south and gets watered frequently.

But.... I have these terrible bugs on its leaves. Last winter I even went out and baught a chemical - it didn't help - I had them all summer, they seemed to be gone but are back again and all over my tree.

I repotted and cleaned it in spring hoping to help heal it and get rid of those "bloodsuckers"

I'll try to add some pictures...
BB

Blue Moon
Becks

Re: Healing my lemontree

Post by Becks »

You probably have to re apply, and rinse it well in between. I know they are prone to bugs. I have a balcony that is glassed in, and I am close to other trees (high up 3rd floor and in a canopy of trees. For some reason my location is also bad for bugs. It's frustrating. Plants that are slightly susceptible to aphids will get them. I have to rinse and treat and I have actually given up on tasty species....like some of my culinary herbs....basil....etc. I feel that the good bugs and creatures don't get to my plants to help keep them pest free.

I know there are other aphid remedies that are supposed to be great. (Caution poisonous) Rhubarb leaves blended in water and sieved then the water is put in a spray bottle.

When I grew my ceremonial tobacco the aphids went nuts. I actually would smudge the plants and manually pull off the bugs to keep it under control. Talk about having to spend time and give back to the plant. That's okay, it deserved that be used it was given in terms of offerings frequently.

Good luck.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thank you becks -
I'm feeling really week today. Was planing on taking care of my sunny windiw plants today. I found a recipe using water, soda and some rubbing alcohol.

I live up in the 3rd as well... have the most sunlight! But thats about it. Now that winter finally arrived here I can't hope for helpfull bugs.

Rhubarb - I had no idea! Thanks for that tip!
BB

Blue Moon
SilverWort

Post by SilverWort »

You know about "winter oil"? It's an emulsion of oil that covers plants drying eggs deposited thereon preventing spring hatch. Use it when lemons are yellow. If you post some pictures I can help some more.
Becks wrote: Plants that are slightly susceptible to aphids will get them. I have to rinse and treat and I have actually given up on tasty species....like some of my culinary herbs....basil....etc. I feel that the good bugs and creatures don't get to my plants to help keep them pest free.
They really like culinary herbs. Potassium soap diluted in water and some colour traps may control the pest. I don't like to use chemicals in edible plants, soap is harmless.
Becks wrote: I know there are other aphid remedies that are supposed to be great. (Caution poisonous) Rhubarb leaves blended in water and sieved then the water is put in a spray bottle.

When I grew my ceremonial tobacco the aphids went nuts. I actually would smudge the plants and manually pull off the bugs to keep it under control. Talk about having to spend time and give back to the plant. That's okay, it deserved that be used it was given in terms of offerings frequently.

Good luck.
Never tried tobacco tincture? Put dried tobacco in a jar and fill with alcohol (pharmacy alcohol 96º). Soak for two or three weeks and apply it diluted in water. Caution, is very poisonous for all kinds of bugs, bees too.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Sorry almost forgot...
BB

Blue Moon
SilverWort

Post by SilverWort »

I can't see the picture. Is my problem or link is broken?

Return to “Gardening”