Need recommendation hedge/green/fae witchery

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
blue_moon

Need recommendation hedge/green/fae witchery

Post by blue_moon »

I'd like to buy and read a new book. Sadly when i started buying books about the craft the content started repeating itself since most books seem to adress beginners.

Can someone recommend a good book?
My library consists of "white" magick, wicca and working with the elements.
BB

Blue Moon
Heartsong

Re: Need recommendation hedge/green/fae witchery

Post by Heartsong »

If you're interested in green witchcract, I highly recommend looking at Ann Moura's books of the same title (Green Witchcraft, volumes 1-3). She also has a fantastic grimoire available. What I like most about her books is that she delves deeply into her interpretation of green or hedge witchcraft. She does have exercises and such in the books, but they doesn't have that 101 textbook feel to them. There's a ton of information that's interesting and insightful. :)

Faery Craft: Weaving Connections with the Enchanted Realm by Emily Carding is a great book if you're interested in working with the fae.

I also recommend Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment by Poppy Palin and Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick by Ellen Dugan.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thank you heartsong!

I kept reading ann moura's name when searching.
And found poppy palin when researching today.

Since i don't live in the states i can't look into them in the library or possibly find them in a book store where i could look into the books.

Which of these book would be your number one recommendation?
BB

Blue Moon
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Ellen Dugan's books are excellent. Highly recommended.
Myrth
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Out of the ones listed, Ann Moura's books on Green Witchcraft would be my number one recommendation, if you're looking for something with less of a 101 vibe. I agree with Myrth, though, Ellen Dugan has AMAZING books and is very enjoyable as an author.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I really don't need another 101 book ;) thanks you two
BB

Blue Moon
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I often prefer books directly related to my interests within green witchcraft. I have several books on herbs, for example, as well as books on identification of trees native to my area, etc. 101 books are great to get you started. But if you are following your own path, you will probably want your library to focus on specific areas of interest within your craft and path.
Myrth
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I did get a chance to look into the ann moura book and its to basic for my needs.
On my shelf i already have several herb and plant books so i guess - this is all.i need.
I lend the wild spirituality book from the kindle library - its a really nice read so far!
BB

Blue Moon
Becks

Post by Becks »

Hi Blue Moon, I was just thinking that I think you're a bit stuck because the next step in reading isn't generalist books about "witchcraft". You've done that. Now it's time to decide what interests you and delve into speficic topics. Nobody can tell you what that is....kind of classic (regardless of what you think of her, I personally like her) for self defence is "Psychic Self Defence" by Dion Fortune. Ceremonial magic? "Ceremonial Magic" by Craig. Herbalism? Read herbal books. They don't have to be witchy......because it is witchy. I like "Plant Sprirt Shamanism" by Heaven and Craig.....so I think for you...now it's time to head down a rabbit hole and pursue a vein of interest. Now books you pick will be specific and you'll grow your body of knowledge.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Hey becks

Yes i think i might not have an other choice.. then really going into more specific directions.
BB

Blue Moon
Becks

Post by Becks »

People don't really talk about it, but the nature of the knowledge becomes more specific, and I think our practice ends up dictated by self directed study. I remain a generalist, as in that's what my interests are overall, but it's looked like me reading about herbalism or ceremonial magic etc. I think that's the great joy of it all.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Exactly, study becomes specific to one's particular interests. I am interested in tinctures and decoctions and my personal library is quite extensive on herbs, plants, nature and healing modalities (I also have quite a bit on Reiki). Etc. Only you can determine what to study next - a different pantheon, going deeper into a current pantheon, historical texts on esotericism and mysticism, shamanism, etc. No, you don't need to stop studying because you have a few books on herbs. That wasn't my point at all. Pick a topic of interest and explore it in greater depth. None of us can tell you what should interest you. None of us know your current library. I hope you find something you will enjoy reading.
Myrth

Return to “Book Reviews”