How do you know a God or Goddess is speaking to you

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
mangosandy82

How do you know a God or Goddess is speaking to you

Post by mangosandy82 »

Do you look for signs? Do you let the signs come to you? How do the gods come to you?

Do you pay attention to the animals around you and see if your pantheon is trying to get your attention?

Do the gods come to you in dreams or thoughts? Do they come to you in a time of need?

I need some idea but I think I figured it out just by these questions...

Tell me a time when your pantheon came to you.
Siona

Re: How do you know a god or goddess is speaking to you

Post by Siona »

It's such a personal process, it can be very different from person to person, and even with one person from one deity to another. I can't even explain how I felt the call to Artemis, it was just something I knew and felt in my heart. No signs, no dreams, I just... I just knew it was where I belonged.
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Siona wrote:It's such a personal process, it can be very different from person to person, and even with one person from one deity to another. I can't even explain how I felt the call to Artemis, it was just something I knew and felt in my heart. No signs, no dreams, I just... I just knew it was where I belonged.
So you had a strong feeling to follow your deity? Interesting. That's how I feel about Wicca. I feel like I belong to this path. I don't know how but I know it feels right. When I would do a journal ritual it felt right. But then I would back away and be scared. I don't know why. Maybe because of my up bringing. I was raised Christian but now I don't practice that religion anymore. I feel like there is something more to Wicca but I don't know what. It's a mystery to me. I'm still going to be studying it. But I wish I knew why I was holding myself back.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

It's okay to go slow. Learning not to doubt one's self is part of the journey.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SilverAntlers

Post by SilverAntlers »

I haven't found my own God or Goddess yet either. The best advice I can give is to keep searching. Read up on the different deities from all the different mythologies and see if any of them connect with you. Find out what symbols are associated with these deities and be on the lookout for them in your day to day life. Learn about the gods of your ancestors, wherever they're from. I wish you the best of luck in your search!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How do you know a God or Goddess is speaking to you

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I was seeking a patron, I had been anticipating a Greek figure because I have always been drawn to classical Greece history; but after seeing unexpected images of Kwan Yin five times in one day, and where i wouldn't expect them, I took the hint and did some research; next I began simple devotional practices. There are times in meditation that I smell a floral scent I associate with Her, or get an image or thought that comes out of left field and is slotted into my thought train. She is patiently and gently unyielding.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

My magickal name is that of my Goddess (a rather audacious taboo). For years I pondered my name selection with much trepidation and apparently my Goddess was aware and thought I needed reassurance. During a solitary circle She first appeared as a vaguely discernible density and left me with the thought that God/Goddesses are beyond the silly concerns of mortal etiquette and She was pleased that I should adopt Her name and Her as my Spirit Guide. She chooses if and when her presence is to be known but frequently as I stand before my Wicca altar in communion with eyes closed I clearly see Her as a moving luminous outline in the dark field of closed eyes. During Circle I seldom see Her but certainly always am aware of Her presence.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Cernunnos really connects to me..I believe, only because I see him everywhere!!! His name pops up frequently and randomly in my head, along with his face. I feel his masculine presence in big old trees, the wind, the heat of the sun, all wild animals remind me of him. I guess I know I'm connected to him because so many things brings his name and image into my head. I've read about many gods, but he's just more "present" than any of them.
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I'm in a well done meditation or in the hypnogogia state just waking up are the times that I have received the grace of a direct voice or vision. Deep adoration has also brought about various experiences, a few which knocked me on my behind following bursts of light that changed me in some personal way. The contents of these are naturally meant for me and would likely not mean anything if discussed. But I can share the state of consciousness I dwelt in to experience it.

Meditation and adoration are states of quiet mental focus, unyielding but gentle. They usually are inward-looking, to the deity-within. I save intense, outward focussing for spell stuff. And when I say inward, I think in terms of focussing my mental location within my heart chakra. I'm not standing behind my eyes, and between my ears up in my head; I'm present in my heart, with eyes and ears in that location. That is the best I can describe it.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”