What is "The seal of the Dragon"?

Michigannerdrage

What is "The seal of the Dragon"?

Post by Michigannerdrage »

It is also referenced as the dragon's circle. In texts on kung fu, whenever magic is used in harmony with the martial arts, it is said to use the dragon's circle. What is it?
Planet Earth is both my living room and my bed room and the only things that suck about it is that I can't reach the thermostat and some times the shades leak on me.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: What is "The seal of the Dragon"?

Post by SnowCat »

I vaguely remember references to that in the television series Kung Fu. Kwai Chang had dragon tattoos burned into his forearms. It was some sort of "Rite of Passage."

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I took wah lun tam tui kung fu and have never heard of it.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I studied tai chi and never heard of it. Google isn't turning up anything either.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I doubt it has anything to do with a proper dragon.

In Taoist alchemy, dragon is the opposing force of tiger -- both qualities of energy within the human body.

Dragon is mystical and heavenly, tiger is earthly and primal.

So I would guess it has to do with the more esoteric understandings of the martial arts.

You might start by looking into the philosophy of Aikido.
Michigannerdrage

Post by Michigannerdrage »

Thank you corvidus
Planet Earth is both my living room and my bed room and the only things that suck about it is that I can't reach the thermostat and some times the shades leak on me.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

No problem. The esoteric side of the martial arts is very interesting to me ;)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I did some looking, out of curiosity, and found that the brands David Carradine had in Kung Fu, we're a tiger and a dragon. Apparently, liberal artistic license was taken in that respect. It does fit with what friendly neighborhood SpiderCrow (Corvidus), said. Yeah, SpiderCrow, I'm in a nutty mood.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

SnowCat wrote: It does fit with what friendly neighborhood SpiderCrow (Corvidus), said. Yeah, SpiderCrow, I'm in a nutty mood.

Snow
Hahaha how did you know the spider was another of my totems, is the real question! ;)

Here's an informative 'web'site on the Taoist perspective:
http://www.egreenway.com/dragonsrealms/DT4.htm
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Good question!

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The "Red Dragon Grimoire" is used by "Christian" magicians, a traditional occultist that uses grimoires or a ritual magician. The grimoire is a classic French text that sells for 3-5 thousands dollars in it's original hardcover edition, spiral bound editions sell for 3-5 hundred. All the original Sigils, Seals and other important drawings are included in their original form. I Just happened to come across the book and remembered this old post.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

SpiritTalker wrote:The "Red Dragon Grimoire" is used by "Christian" magicians, a traditional occultist that uses grimoires or a ritual magician. The grimoire is a classic French text that sells for 3-5 thousands dollars in it's original hardcover edition, spiral bound editions sell for 3-5 hundred. All the original Sigils, Seals and other important drawings are included in their original form. I Just happened to come across the book and remembered this old post.
Interesting! As a christo-pagan, I'm always interested to learn of "Christian Magicians". Is this is any way related to Gnosticism? I only ask because many gnostics who use the craft, or read tarot, refer to the,selves as magicians. How can I learn more?

Rosie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The book was offered on Amazon, & I had just browsed the description. The Red Dragon Grimoire was listed with hundreds of titles. Magic is a hot topic. And if I recall, there were Gnostic and Sumerian magical texts. Do a separate search. Just beware of price gouging. Some dingbats think if it has "magic" in the title it's rare. I Googled it as well to check for the publisher.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

SpiritTalker wrote:The "Red Dragon Grimoire" is used by "Christian" magicians, a traditional occultist that uses grimoires or a ritual magician.
Curiously enough, so is "The Black Dragon" -- which makes up half the book "Crossed Keys"
The other half of the book is the "Enchiridion of Pope Leo III" and contains some very interesting prayers to JC.

It is an interesting book. In the first chapter of "The Black Dragon" it says that the spirit of the book will visit you to give you its 'seal' -- which is then written in the book to create the connection to help guide you through it.
RosieMoonflower wrote:Interesting! As a christo-pagan, I'm always interested to learn of "Christian Magicians". Is this is any way related to Gnosticism?
IMO, it depends on how the knowledge in the books are used. If it's for the pursuit of Self, then it could be considered gnosticism; if it's used for gain in the material world, then it is not gnostic.
I only ask because many gnostics who use the craft, or read tarot, refer to themselves as magicians. How can I learn more?
Learn more about magicians or about using the 'craft' for gnostic pursuits?
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Thank you Corvidus, I actually meant how can I learn more about the seal of the dragon and it's relationship to Christian magicians.

Rosie

Return to “Dragons”