Just chant, no tools?

Greek_Male_Witch

Just chant, no tools?

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Hey, I found some good chants and I was thinking if there was any way to use the chants without any tools? would they work? is there a specific way to say those chants in order to work? please elaborate and thanks! :)
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Lux

Re: Just chant, no tools?

Post by Lux »

Greek_Male_Witch wrote:Hey, I found some good chants and I was thinking if there was any way to use the chants without any tools? would they work? is there a specific way to say those chants in order to work? please elaborate and thanks! :)
Tools aren't required in your magick working; they're really cool (and I looooove shopping for tools) but they're not required. The most important thing is your intention. I've actually been practicing sans tools for a while to increase my proficiency in visualization.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Lux wrote:
Greek_Male_Witch wrote:Hey, I found some good chants and I was thinking if there was any way to use the chants without any tools? would they work? is there a specific way to say those chants in order to work? please elaborate and thanks! :)
Tools aren't required in your magick working; they're really cool (and I looooove shopping for tools) but they're not required. The most important thing is your intention. I've actually been practicing sans tools for a while to increase my proficiency in visualization.
This is def true. Sound itself can be powerful: magical voice. Mantras can really help.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I rarely use tools. I will sometimes use candles, but that's about it.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

SnowCat wrote:I rarely use tools. I will sometimes use candles, but that's about it.

Snow
Agreed. Tools are optional. What is required is, at a minimum:

1) raising energy; and
2) directing that energy very specifically with intent.

Tools, herbs, candles, etc. are optional, but useful for raising energy and focusing on intent.
Myrth
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

I sing little jingles all the time about stuff that I would like to be manifested. Sound is a marvelous way to project out to the universe. I use tools for rituals and spells but I believe a little intent and sound goes a long way ;)
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

A magickal tool is just that, a tool. Intended to aid you, not do the work for you. =]

Chant away! :fairy:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I love using tools because I feel like it helps me direct my energy :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Tools are used to help you focus but aren't absolutely necessary. Intent is the main thing, as already mentioned.
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Your answers are awesome...thanks
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chant+o+mati ... ss_fb_1_13

The Mystery of Chant-o-Matic’s by Ray Buckland
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

(thoughts)

Magic is born in the mind.

A tool for example is a physical representation of a symbolic thing.

Should you be, or develop, as a strong visualiser, become a student of symbolism and have a firm understanding and control of the magical triangle (Concentration, Visualisation and Willpower) physical tools become optional. They are props.

Personally I am against devoting too much energy into tools lest they move (in MY mind) from being props to being crutches - we create bans or taboos in the mind as well as methods and pathways.

Say... If you were an actor playing the role of a Knight: a costume and a sword would help you get into the role? If you were a child, lacking disbelief and brimming with imagination, a stick could quite easily be a sword, a costume less important then the theatre of the mind. If you were a witch who had studied to understand instinctively (not just know) what a sword is (what it is a representation and coorespondance of) in your particular system, if you could visualise the item as many symbolic things intimating a particular magical 'thing', if you had developed belief in it, its power and its purpose, if you had singular focus and intent (a purpose) magic may happen. To make things move however (to give the structure energy) you also need to emote, to feel. Thought on its own is only the key to one lock.

'Your' coorespondances - Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Spirit. Thought and passion (expressive), feeling and belief (receptive) and with a little bit of stardust.

Or as said better by our anticidents: To know, to Dare, to Will, to keep Silent: to Go.

----

In the same way peoples dreams are different - that some symbols are shared by everybody, some are personal - explains why people use different systems, because there is no such thing as disbelief: it's all belief, even if to the contrary. We are responsible for our pathways and limitations. And it kind of makes people arguing about 'which symbol is right' really a comment on 'which symbol is right for them'.

Chanting is one way certainly, drumming I'm told, repeated actions which encourage the critical forebrain to receed and allow the instinctual subconscious to arise. Daydreaming and trance (guided then otherwise) was the method I developed, I am fortunate that as a child I was a vivid imaginator and certain vivid memories remain to act like pathways for trance.

That's a potentially useful point for people who find it difficult to visualise, start with the vault of memory rather then random things. When I was a boy my Grandfather was dying from a long, painfully drawn out terminal illness. Each Sunday we would make the long car ride to his home and back again, late at night. On the return journey we drove though a long stretch of countryside where the passage of lorrys had fashioned the trees into a tunnel. As a child I would sit silently in the back of the car watching as the headlights illuminated this tunnel of trees and it would entrance me. It can take me into trance even now. It remains one of my pathways to trance.

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”