Harry Potter

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Harry Potter

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Does anyone else love the Harry Potter series? It was the first fantasy series I got into and I love it so much. I am a Ravenclaw and I have a flexible wand with dragon heartstring. (I forgot what it was made out of.)

I only read the first five books, saw most of the movies. I am in the process of reading the first five over again and the last two finally.

(I know what happens.)
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Harry Potter

Post by SnowCat »

I read all the books. I haven't seen all the movies. My daughter and I are taking her kids to California this summer. The new Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens there in April. We should be able to thoroughly exhaust ourselves.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Love Harry Potter. I've read the series more times than I can remember. Saw all the movies. I was sorted Ravenclaw too. :)
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Read all the books, and watched all the movies! Did you know they are coming out with an 8th book?! I think it's like 19 years later or something...
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Lord_of_Nightmares

Katrinkah wrote:Read all the books, and watched all the movies! Did you know they are coming out with an 8th book?! I think it's like 19 years later or something...
I hope it has more adult themes.
- Devi
Lord_of_Nightmares

SnowCat wrote:I read all the books. I haven't seen all the movies. My daughter and I are taking her kids to California this summer. The new Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens there in April. We should be able to thoroughly exhaust ourselves.

Snow
I was living in Florida when the HP world was being built but moved before I had a chance to see it finished.
- Devi
Becks

Post by Becks »

Potter is wonderful. I have heard so many stories of young people who found Harry Potter and it was their "gateway book series" that made them love literacy and search out more reading. I tutor a young man in literacy and Harry Potter is making such a difference in his world.
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

Oh dear, now here's a subject I could go on and on about. But I'll TRY and keep my obsessive ramblings to a minimum. I started reading Harry Potter when I was 11. I was actually introduced to it by my nun teacher (Catholic school), she would read the books out loud to the class the last half hour of each day. Probably the only time she had the class' complete silent undivided attention. Meanwhile the nun in the library was trying to ban it because you know "witchcraft". It completely sparked my love of reading. I've read all the books almost as soon as they came out and all the movies on opening weekend. All my books and DVDs sit on a special shelf along with a few trinkets and other objects including: a few small owls, time turner, bellitrix' bird skull (not real) necklace, diy remembral, seeker button, and four colored goblets to represent the houses. I also have framed Harry Potter stamps right above the shelf (they were a gift), and Harry and Hermione bookends I found at the theft store a month ago. Finally joined Pottermore last night (don't know why it took me so long), and as I already suspected, I'm in Ravenclaw.

Moving on to when I was about 23-24, I was looking at some Harry Potter stuff on Pinterest and other pins for witchcraft and Wicca kept popping up. I knew very little if anything at all about it so I let curiosity get the better of me and started reading some of them. The more I kept reading, the more I realized that this is what I believe and who I want to be. I grew up Catholic but never really felt connected spiritually and even though I went to catholic high school as well, soon as I started, I never really cared about church and stuff. Fast forward almost 5 years later, here I am, I finally found what make happy and I have Harry Potter to thank for it! But I've learned a lot a life lessons from the characters as well. My favorite character other than Harry of course, Luna Lovegood just has the knack for not giving a damn what society thinks and just does what does.

Ok, one more thing. Pottermore gave me a maple wand, Phoenix core, 9 3/4". Strang thing is I've been wanting to make a maple wand 9 3/4" for a while now. I love maple and it's abundant where I live. I thought 9 3/4" as my tribute to Harry Potter for bringing me to this point in my life and because why the heck not. As for the core, can't exactly use Phoenix feathers, but I can use the best next thing; peacock feathers. The peacock is often associated with the Phoenix because of its symbolism. Life, death, resurrection(rebirth), born again from the ashes. And it just so happens that the peacock is one of my spirit animals, so it connects well with me.

Ok, I think I'm done obessive rambling for now. Thank J.K. Rowling for giving us Harry Potter.
"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music."

Someone told me to stop living in a fantasy land.
I nearly fell off my unicorn.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Autumn Jewel wrote:Oh dear, now here's a subject I could go on and on about. But I'll TRY and keep my obsessive ramblings to a minimum. I started reading Harry Potter when I was 11. I was actually introduced to it by my nun teacher (Catholic school), she would read the books out loud to the class the last half hour of each day. Probably the only time she had the class' complete silent undivided attention. Meanwhile the nun in the library was trying to ban it because you know "witchcraft". It completely sparked my love of reading. I've read all the books almost as soon as they came out and all the movies on opening weekend. All my books and DVDs sit on a special shelf along with a few trinkets and other objects including: a few small owls, time turner, bellitrix' bird skull (not real) necklace, diy remembral, seeker button, and four colored goblets to represent the houses. I also have framed Harry Potter stamps right above the shelf (they were a gift), and Harry and Hermione bookends I found at the theft store a month ago. Finally joined Pottermore last night (don't know why it took me so long), and as I already suspected, I'm in Ravenclaw.

Moving on to when I was about 23-24, I was looking at some Harry Potter stuff on Pinterest and other pins for witchcraft and Wicca kept popping up. I knew very little if anything at all about it so I let curiosity get the better of me and started reading some of them. The more I kept reading, the more I realized that this is what I believe and who I want to be. I grew up Catholic but never really felt connected spiritually and even though I went to catholic high school as well, soon as I started, I never really cared about church and stuff. Fast forward almost 5 years later, here I am, I finally found what make happy and I have Harry Potter to thank for it! But I've learned a lot a life lessons from the characters as well. My favorite character other than Harry of course, Luna Lovegood just has the knack for not giving a damn what society thinks and just does what does.

Ok, one more thing. Pottermore gave me a maple wand, Phoenix core, 9 3/4". Strang thing is I've been wanting to make a maple wand 9 3/4" for a while now. I love maple and it's abundant where I live. I thought 9 3/4" as my tribute to Harry Potter for bringing me to this point in my life and because why the heck not. As for the core, can't exactly use Phoenix feathers, but I can use the best next thing; peacock feathers. The peacock is often associated with the Phoenix because of its symbolism. Life, death, resurrection(rebirth), born again from the ashes. And it just so happens that the peacock is one of my spirit animals, so it connects well with me.

Ok, I think I'm done obessive rambling for now. Thank J.K. Rowling for giving us Harry Potter.
Great story! Luna and Harry are my favorite characters. I love how fiction inspires us. I have actually been able to modify or understand some concepts better thanks to fiction.

That's a good idea about the wand too. Mine had dragon heartstring in it, idk where to get that though! xD
- Devi
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

I love Harry Potter! When I was 14 (13 years ago), I used to run a relatively popular Harry Potter forum with a bunch of girls from across the States. This January, we finally got to meet for the first time at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. We spent 2 days exploring Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. I'm a Slytherin and I got Sirius' wand from Ollivander's while I was there. :)
Silvana

Post by Silvana »

I love Harry Potter books and movies.

But I was never a fan of Pottermore.
But that maybe because I was already on a Harry Potter site, which is awesome.
I discovered back in 2009 and I've been a Slytherin ever since. My dream house and best site ever. We have Diagon Alley, House Cup, homework and Contest to earn House Points, way to earn galleons lots of beautiful items and seasonal events.
I don't know if ads are welcomed here, so if you're interested just say and I'll PM you with more info.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I love the series! You really see the characters develop and go through puberty to adulthood where they get to understand difficult aspects of morality. You really can read it on various levels. I read it in my language so I'm not very familiar with original English terms (the names of characters stayed in English, but basically all other witchy vocab has been translated).
Right now I'm reading HP and the cursed child- the 8th book! :)
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

moonraingirl wrote: Right now I'm reading HP and the cursed child- the 8th book! :)
I loved the books and the movies too. Please let me know if the 8th book is good! I don't want to demolish with this, what the others have built in my childhood fantasy world. :-D
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Sure, I've only begun now but it's very fast read (it's only dialogue because it's a theatre play) so I should finish it this weekend and then I'll tell you :)

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”