Do I need a pentagram?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Wanderer022

Do I need a pentagram?

Post by Wanderer022 »

I've set up a small altar. I don't see myself as wiccan although I have dabbled slightly with spells. Based mostly on intent and visualisation. My question is, do I absolutely need all the ritual items? I only have some stones with symbols on them representing the elements. I don't have an athame, I use my hands a lot during spells, as well as chanting. To me the pentagram is a symbol of protection, but I feel that the God and Goddess also protect me. Or I ask them to, as well as the element fire. Because I nearly always light candles, and then I ask them to protect me and my home.

Idk I guess I'm just wondering if it's of any use to my actual magick and not just there for "decoration"? I don't really have a way of acquiring one, and I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to make one that's much good...unless it's a very simple one like binding some twigs together. Lol :D
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Wanderer022

Re: Do I need a pentagram?

Post by Wanderer022 »

Another question - is it "wrong" if I never write my spells down? I mean I make them up as I go. I kind of say the words that feel right. Most of my rituals and spells are very spontaneous and not really planned out at all, although I do follow a specific order in doing things. They just sort of happen as they happen.

I, for example, did a spontaneous cleansing this morning. I just decided to cleanse my room to lift the mood. So I lit some Lavender incense and walked with it around the room. Before this, I've asked the element air to be present and protect the space. Afterwards I thanked the element for attending and that was it. Everything in between was just sort of made up as I go along. Is it wrong to do it that way?
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
SirisDerp

Post by SirisDerp »

There is no right or wrong, only what feels right for you. Every path is very personal and every individual has their own way of going about things. A pentagram is never required. It looks nice and can be empowering or enhance something if you believe it. Not every person looks at the pentagram the same way or mean the same thing. The real question is, do YOU want to include the pentagram on your altar?

And there is no wrong way to cast a spell. A spell is a spell. It's the same as anything else within your practice. You're not required to do anything, just recommended to write things down should you wish to perform that same spell again in the same way.
Siona

Post by Siona »

No need for a pentagram on your altar - lots of witches don't use this particular tool. Different forms of witchcraft have different tools, and if you're following your own path there's no issue with not using this or that, bringing in other tools that are not as commonly used. It's all down to what works for you. Same with writing down spells or not, do what works!
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Short answer is no.
It's all about practicing for yourself. You can do things your own way. I've never once used an athame-I don't feel the need for one. Although the pentagram does hold meaning for me so I do have a few displayed. And no, you don't have to write anything down if you don't like. I like to write everything down so I can keep track of the things I do. Also I'm pretty forgetful so it's a personal preference.

Wanderer022 wrote: I don't really have a way of acquiring one, and I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to make one that's much good...unless it's a very simple one like binding some twigs together. Lol :D
Making things yourself is more special because you put your energy into it. Even if it's made out of twigs. :D
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

TwilightDancer wrote:Short answer is no.
It's all about practicing for yourself. You can do things your own way. I've never once used an athame-I don't feel the need for one. Although the pentagram does hold meaning for me so I do have a few displayed. And no, you don't have to write anything down if you don't like. I like to write everything down so I can keep track of the things I do. Also I'm pretty forgetful so it's a personal preference.

Wanderer022 wrote: I don't really have a way of acquiring one, and I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to make one that's much good...unless it's a very simple one like binding some twigs together. Lol :D
Making things yourself is more special because you put your energy into it. Even if it's made out of twigs. :D
True that! But I don't believe one of twigs will last very long... :P

Blessed be *
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I don't use tools, and my spells are whatever suits the moment. I've been practicing for 40+ years.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

SnowCat wrote:I don't use tools, and my spells are whatever suits the moment. I've been practicing for 40+ years.

Snow
I don't use many of the tools that others do. The tools one uses (or doesn't use) are personal choices. I will use candles sometimes. I use herbs often, but not always. I do not have an athame. If I need to cut something I will use any regular tool that is handy, not a special ritual tool. I have what I call my Reiki box, which is a specialized altar. I do not have a pentacle, but I am not Wiccan. I use crystals, but not to the extent that many on this forum do. I use a drum from time to time to aid in trance work. So, tools are extremely personal. What one of us does may be vastly different from what others do, but it is all OK. There is no one correct path. There is simply your path.
Myrth
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

On a wiccan altar a pentacle plate represents the five elements in a state of balance &' is used to "charge" items. If it doesn't speak to the image-I-nation then there's no purpose for it. Really there's nothing that says you have to follow Wiccan structure or use any tools at all. In folk magic anything can be repurposed if it suggests a magical use. Leave an offering when taking something from Nature.
PhoenixRising

Post by PhoenixRising »

I don't use many tools, in part because I don't have them, and in part because I like to make things. Like my wand...made it myself. Same with my altar. I do wear a Pentacle with wings 24/7, but that's just me.

RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

I only use two rings and a pentacle I wear. But their more like talismans than actual tools. I've tried using athame and wands but they just feel silly. If I need a knife or something I'll bless it before I use it for a spell. As for drums I spent enough time as a native dancer I can hear the beat in my head. But as far as any materials go I use whatever is around me. There's iron in the steel of buildings, pick a mineral you'll probably find it in concrete.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wanderer022 wrote:Another question - is it "wrong" if I never write my spells down? I mean I make them up as I go. I kind of say the words that feel right. Most of my rituals and spells are very spontaneous and not really planned out at all, although I do follow a specific order in doing things. They just sort of happen as they happen.

I, for example, did a spontaneous cleansing this morning. I just decided to cleanse my room to lift the mood. So I lit some Lavender incense and walked with it around the room. Before this, I've asked the element air to be present and protect the space. Afterwards I thanked the element for attending and that was it. Everything in between was just sort of made up as I go along. Is it wrong to do it that way?

If what you are doing is working for you and producing the desired results, go with it and trust the system. Intuitive spell casting is a gift. Most of us "go with the flow" during a working. It's the best way to use the energies we raise.

Writing things down is a way to remember what was done in case you need to identify where a spell went wrong to "fix" a problem, or want to repeat a success & what was done like a formula. Mostly it's a way to learn from experience. Key things to watch out for would be un-clear, or double-meaning phrases that may have been used, or inadvertent elemental energy imbalances. These things distort our mental focus which can screw up the results. The spells I'd want to record would be any spells that are major investments of your emotional energy.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

One thing I find pretty much indispensable is dry white Sage to burn when creating Sacred Space. One can cast a Pentagram in the air with wand, sage smoke or hand it is a cue for mental imaging and a welcome portal for the Elementals and your Spirit Guide if you wish to welcome them. Hard to imagine a Wiccan/Witch not wishing to employ these symbolic tools of our Tradition.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”