A celtic Goddess like Nyx?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Wanderer022

A celtic Goddess like Nyx?

Post by Wanderer022 »

Is there a celtic goddess similar to Nyx? Recently her name has been popping up a lot in my head. Just looking to do some research.
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: A celtic Goddess like Nyx?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

No. She is Greek and if she has connections it is probably to Ancient Near East gods or something like Estrucan gods. In Hesiod's theogony she is a primordial goddess born from chaos.

http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Nyx.html
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Ah I see. Thank you
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Siona

Post by Siona »

I don't believe there are any Celtic goddesses similar to Nyx. Wondering, if it's her name popping up, why look at Celtic deities?
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Siona wrote:I don't believe there are any Celtic goddesses similar to Nyx. Wondering, if it's her name popping up, why look at Celtic deities?
Because it seems weird to me that she's greek and I worship Cernunnos. Hahaha. I guess the same can be said for Aphrodite. They don't "go together". For instance when I think of what I read so far about pagan holidays, how does Cernunnos die and he's reborn from either of those two?? I don't know I just struggle to make sense of it.

I've played around with the idea that maybe it's not Aphrodite, maybe it's more than one energy I'm feeling. Maybe I'm seeing her in my head when I think of the goddess, but I feel another energy from someone else if I look at the moon. Maybe I should just worship one universal goddess and god to take out the confusion. Idk :|

Blessed be *
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm not sure that Norse deities and Egyptian deities are supposed to "go together," but they're both in my pantheon. Who am I to tell them otherwise? Maybe there's a lesson there for us, in working together.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

SnowCat wrote:I'm not sure that Norse deities and Egyptian deities are supposed to "go together," but they're both in my pantheon. Who am I to tell them otherwise? Maybe there's a lesson there for us, in working together.

Snow
Maybe I should just see them as a god and goddess and not give them names. Because I associate things with them not typically associated with specific Aphrodite or Cernunnos. I see all feminine aspects of nature with the goddess and all male aspects with the god. I think it would make things much simpler. I'm sorry all my posts seems so confusing. I'm still trying to figure out my path, and I'm still new. Still trying to make sense of things.

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Wanderer022 wrote:
Siona wrote:I don't believe there are any Celtic goddesses similar to Nyx. Wondering, if it's her name popping up, why look at Celtic deities?
Because it seems weird to me that she's greek and I worship Cernunnos. Hahaha. I guess the same can be said for Aphrodite. They don't "go together". For instance when I think of what I read so far about pagan holidays, how does Cernunnos die and he's reborn from either of those two?? I don't know I just struggle to make sense of it.

I've played around with the idea that maybe it's not Aphrodite, maybe it's more than one energy I'm feeling. Maybe I'm seeing her in my head when I think of the goddess, but I feel another energy from someone else if I look at the moon. Maybe I should just worship one universal goddess and god to take out the confusion. Idk :|
Cernunnos is a Greek name.

Aphrodite has her origins in Inanna/Ishtar/Astarte. Later she was syncretized with Isis.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Wanderer022 wrote:
SnowCat wrote:I'm not sure that Norse deities and Egyptian deities are supposed to "go together," but they're both in my pantheon. Who am I to tell them otherwise? Maybe there's a lesson there for us, in working together.

Snow
Maybe I should just see them as a god and goddess and not give them names. Because I associate things with them not typically associated with specific Aphrodite or Cernunnos. I see all feminine aspects of nature with the goddess and all male aspects with the god. I think it would make things much simpler. I'm sorry all my posts seems so confusing. I'm still trying to figure out my path, and I'm still new. Still trying to make sense of things.
I'm still confused after 40+ years. If everything starts making sense, it will probably scare me right out of my fur.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

Wanderer022 wrote:Because it seems weird to me that she's greek and I worship Cernunnos. Hahaha. I guess the same can be said for Aphrodite. They don't "go together". For instance when I think of what I read so far about pagan holidays, how does Cernunnos die and he's reborn from either of those two?? I don't know I just struggle to make sense of it.
Honestly, I think your 'mistake' here is more along the lines of trying to fit deities with their own stories and myths into the Wiccan God/Goddess mythos. That's bound to fail with a great many deities. The Wheel of the Year doesn't have to follow the strict dying and reborn myth (and the wheel isn't the only set of pagan holidays).

As for Greek and Celtic deities, it's not as weird as you might think. Roman and some Greek deities were known in Celtic lands, and worshiped by some in the past. Sometimes in modern paganism you run into the idea that 'mixing' pantheons is always a big no-no, or that it doesn't make sense, when the truth is it was something that happened often enough in old pagan religions.
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Siona wrote:
Wanderer022 wrote:Because it seems weird to me that she's greek and I worship Cernunnos. Hahaha. I guess the same can be said for Aphrodite. They don't "go together". For instance when I think of what I read so far about pagan holidays, how does Cernunnos die and he's reborn from either of those two?? I don't know I just struggle to make sense of it.
Honestly, I think your 'mistake' here is more along the lines of trying to fit deities with their own stories and myths into the Wiccan God/Goddess mythos. That's bound to fail with a great many deities. The Wheel of the Year doesn't have to follow the strict dying and reborn myth (and the wheel isn't the only set of pagan holidays).

As for Greek and Celtic deities, it's not as weird as you might think. Roman and some Greek deities were known in Celtic lands, and worshiped by some in the past. Sometimes in modern paganism you run into the idea that 'mixing' pantheons is always a big no-no, or that it doesn't make sense, when the truth is it was something that happened often enough in old pagan religions.
Perhaps you are right. I need to do more research. Perhaps into how to honor them individually rather than together. Like I said, I'm still new. Very new in fact. I haven't done quite as much research as the average person would do before making this change. I don't even know all the deities yet. Or even what most of them are associated with. Or how they "fit together".

All I knew from the beginning is that this feels like home to me. And that it feels so incredibly right to me. But I still have plenty to learn.

Blessed be *

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”