Candles

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
WiccanWitch

Candles

Post by WiccanWitch »

When I bought my candle holders at the psychic fair they came with white candles. With the passing of my daughter's cat I set up a small gift offering for him and burned these candles. They're white maybe 6-7" and they burned completely. No wax drippings at all. Is this a special type of candle or wax? They didn't look like anything exciting just white candles.

Becks

Re: Candles

Post by Becks »

Good quality candles, in a room without a draft, won't drip. It's also a good indication of the wick and the wax being a good match...it burns at just the right speed to use up the wax.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

It was a good match. Just wish I knew what they were so I could buy more
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I think very high-quality, beeswax candles perform that way, with no drip, and very slow, even burning, if I recall. The way I go through candles, these are not cost-effective for me for the time being. But, for special occasions or workings, they are worth it.

Becks

Post by Becks »

There are some nice soy candles out there too, but they are also expensive.
Katrinkah

Candles

Post by Katrinkah »

Wow! That's awesome. I have like 4 candle holders that I'm currently trying to get the wax off/out of. I need to get me some of those!
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Depending on what your holders are made of freezing them works well to help break wax off.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I burned all my old candles last year and they dripped too bad - ruined everything! They were really cheap from a kind of dollar store.

All the candles I bought since are much better. I think it also says so on the packaging..
BB

Blue Moon
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

blue_moon wrote:dripped too bad - ruined everything!
That is a hazzard. :? I have finally got in the practice of putting a dish of some sort under candles. The number of Altar cloths I have wrecked are numerous, yet sometimes it still goes over. My little mini painted Altar table is now stained with a lovely green .
WiccanWitch wrote:Depending on what your holders are made of freezing them works well to help break wax off.
Ha! You beat me to this excellent advise :D Do you know of a material that it doesn't work well with?
I know of one way NOT to get the wax out, and that's to use your scuba diving knife to scrape the glass votives, I have broken several. Yet do I learn? :roll:
Bb, Firebird

Ps...Trader Joes has pretty decent candles. Their tapers don't drip and the base of the wick is treated with fire retardant which is really nice to protect fine crystal holders...If you have ever had the glass crack because the candle burned all the way down you might want to try something like this.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Firefly - glass ones I dip in hot water and just wipe 'em out.

I actually had a sort of dish under my candles but the wax spilled (?) Over it. Looked like a wax massacre.
BB

Blue Moon
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

firebirdflys wrote:Trader Joes has pretty decent candles. Their tapers don't drip and the base of the wick is treated with fire retardant which is really nice to protect fine crystal holders...
I'll have to check that out, thanks.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you soak candles in a heavily salted, cool water solution for two hours, then let them dry, it's supposed to prevent dripping. You can do a sink full at a time when they are purchased, then they are ready to go when needed. I haven't actually tried this myself, just passing on a Pinterest tip.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”