Effects of negative energy on me, and some of my views chang

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

These are some thoughts I wanted to get out there. Two topics.

First -

My brother visited this weekend. I won't go into detail too much, but my brother basically is an atheist. He's always had a very strong personality, but recently something has changed in him and I don't know what. He's so stuck on his own opinions, he wants to control everything and he also insults people freely. I've told him about my change in religion, of course I expected he would not buy it, but every comment I made about it he just kind of brushed me off. I showed him my altar. It's like he's trying to turn me into an atheist.

Me: "They all have different meaning. They represent the elements."
Him: "Yeah, a pot some candles and salt. Oh look! There's a picture of that horned dude! I'm gonna shoot him when I go hunting" *laughs*
Me: "That's Cernunnos."
Him: "Or some guy someone made up."

It doesn't sound so bad, but it's the way he said it. He's basically making fun of me. I don't mind some random fun, but to the extent he's doing it, it became very negative to me. Talking won't help, because he doesn't listen. He hears me, but he doesn't LISTEN.

I went walking outside earlier, (he's left now), and I had trouble connecting with the God and Goddess. I couldn't feel them and I started to panic and feel as if I "lost" them. But I started feeling a slight connection later on as I continued on my route. I'm still new in this religion, my ability to connect with them isn't as strong yet, and I kind of think my brother's negativity made it weaker. I feel like I need to build it up again.

Second topic -
I've recently changed my views. I now try and view the Goddess as one Goddess with many faces and names. Same for the God. Somewhere on here I read someone saying "by any name or face the source is still the same" or something along those lines. All things in nature that feels soft and feminine to me I associate with the Goddess. And all things strong and masculine I associate with the God. I know there's no wrong way. But I've been struggling with that idea a little and I think I'm finally grasping it. I take some things from Wicca, although I'm not strictly wiccan.

Another important thing for me - I struggle immensely with body image issues. I've come to the realisation that we are souls. The "real" us cannot even be seen. Our bodies are temporary vessels. But our souls are the real us. Therefore nobody can actually accurately judge you by appearance: fat, thin, tall, short, because they can't actually SEE the real you. They can't see the thing that gives the body life, so how can they call you ugly? I'm trying to come to terms with this idea. Trying to really grasp and understand it. To look at my soul in the mirror (I see my soul in the black of my eyes) instead of my body. My body is just my home, it's not me.

I just needed to talk. Once again. Thank you for reading this far if you have. Sorry it's so long, but hey, at least I kept your eyes busy. :)
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Becks

Re: Effects of negative energy on me, and some of my views c

Post by Becks »

You're brother sounds like he isn't the most supportive person to talk to about to about this. It also sounds like you knew this and it isn't a big surprise to you. After talking to him about it your self esteem took a hit and it sounds like it made you feel pretty bummed out and disconnected.

Is that about right?

There are lots of people in this life who don't support or understand us....for various reasons. Not just faith.

Sadly you can't change him or make him understand. As much as it would be nice to share with family....and have it go well. You can't control that it doesn't. It isn't just a neutral experience...it's really bad for you.

Maybe this is something that you should not connect with him about. If he comes to you with genuine or kind questions someday that might be nice, but I think you are well within your rights to set some boundaries. Boundaries help us keep ourselves safe and it is something we do to honour our emotional, physical and spiritual self. You can set a boundary with love.

It sucks you can't share with him. I'm sorry Hun. Take care of you okay?
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Becks wrote:You're brother sounds like he isn't the most supportive person to talk to about to about this. It also sounds like you knew this and it isn't a big surprise to you. After talking to him about it your self esteem took a hit and it sounds like it made you feel pretty bummed out and disconnected.

Is that about right?

There are lots of people in this life who don't support or understand us....for various reasons. Not just faith.

Sadly you can't change him or make him understand. As much as it would be nice to share with family....and have it go well. You can't control that it doesn't. It isn't just a neutral experience...it's really bad for you.

Maybe this is something that you should not connect with him about. If he comes to you with genuine or kind questions someday that might be nice, but I think you are well within your rights to set some boundaries. Boundaries help us keep ourselves safe and it is something we do to honour our emotional, physical and spiritual self. You can set a boundary with love.

It sucks you can't share with him. I'm sorry Hun. Take care of you okay?
Thank you, I'll try. :) I didn't expect to connect with him. But I also didn't expect that he would make fun of me. Like I said, something has changed with him in the last year or so. He was always like this, but never this bad. I guess it caught me off guard.
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

I personally don't talk to people about any of my views unless I know they will be open, supportive, and un-judging. And unfortunately for me that rarely includes family. :( With people who are closed minded it's just easier to let them be, and talk about other things. I learned the hard way that it's a waste of my energy to try to explain my views to people who aren't really trying to listen. However, I know that is nice to approval from those you care about. It's just not worth feeling bad over. My opinion anyway.... I find it hard to keep my mouth shut about things I'm passionate about, so I journal. It helps me to get it out and also gives me a clear picture of whatever I'm writing about. And there is always the forum! ;)
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Katrinkah wrote:I personally don't talk to people about any of my views unless I know they will be open, supportive, and un-judging. And unfortunately for me that rarely includes family. :( With people who are closed minded it's just easier to let them be, and talk about other things. I learned the hard way that it's a waist of my energy to try to explain my views to people who aren't really trying to listen. However, I know that is nice to approval from those you care about. It's just not worth feeling bad over. My opinion anyway.... I find it hard to keep my mouth shut about things I'm passionate about, so I journal. It helps me to get it out and also gives me a clear picture of whatever I'm writing about. And there is always the forum! ;)
Yeah I guess the forum is my journal hahaha. Ask anyone how many useless threads I've made since I got here. Useless meaning they don't actually have a purpose or supply anyone with any useful information. Or at least I don't think they do. :flyingwitch:

Blessed be *
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Wanderer022 wrote:
Yeah I guess the forum is my journal hahaha. Ask anyone how many useless threads I've made since I got here. Useless meaning they don't actually have a purpose or supply anyone with any useful information. Or at least I don't think they do. :flyingwitch:
All information is useful! Lol. And the stencil for the plate thing was genius! :D
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Katrinkah wrote:
Wanderer022 wrote:
All information is useful! Lol. And the stencil for the plate thing was genius! :D
Hehehe I'm glad you liked it. And hopefully it worked out for you if you used it. :mrgreen:

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I don't think it is negative to admit all spirituality and religion is silly, and all gods fictional. I do, however, take issue with the way he is talking to you about it. Fiction or otherwise, whatever the gods mean to you or me, that is what really matters. Not if someone views them differently. So, even if they do not literally exist, they benefit us psychologically. (Hence things such as the placebo effect. Belief is important.)

If he won't listen, and respect you in your own house, do not let him come over. You do not go over to his house, bash his hobbies, or critize if he likes nerdy things such as comics.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Lady_Lilith wrote:I don't think it is negative to admit all spirituality and religion is silly, and all gods fictional. I do, however, take issue with the way he is talking to you about it. Fiction or otherwise, whatever the gods mean to you or me, that is what really matters. Not if someone views them differently. So, even if they do not literally exist, they benefit us psychologically. (Hence things such as the placebo effect. Belief is important.)

If he won't listen, and respect you in your own house, do not let him come over. You do not go over to his house, bash his hobbies, or critize if he likes nerdy things such as comics.
Yes exactly. I'm not asking him to take on my religion, I just want him to at least respect my views as I respect his. But he's too stuck on his own opinions to even do that. I wish I could just not let him come over. But I would just feel guilty. He is family after all. It makes sense not to, but I think it would probably make me feel worse than it would him. So in the end I'd just be hurting myself.

I'll try talking to him. And if he doesn't listen, I'll just have to find a way to "tune out" when he starts talking like that.

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Wanderer022 wrote:
Lady_Lilith wrote:I don't think it is negative to admit all spirituality and religion is silly, and all gods fictional. I do, however, take issue with the way he is talking to you about it. Fiction or otherwise, whatever the gods mean to you or me, that is what really matters. Not if someone views them differently. So, even if they do not literally exist, they benefit us psychologically. (Hence things such as the placebo effect. Belief is important.)

Yes exactly. I'm not asking him to take on my religion, I just want him to at least respect my views as I respect his. But he's too stuck on his own opinions to even do that. I wish I could just not let him come over. But I would just feel guilty. He is family after all. It makes sense not to, but I think it would probably make me feel worse than it would him. So in the end I'd just be hurting myself.

I'll try talking to him. And if he doesn't listen, I'll just have to find a way to "tune out" when he starts talking like that.
Maybe do a spell for assertiveness? You are probably going to have to be assertive with him. Assertive does not mean impolite, mean, nor aggressive. But I can't see him being mature about things when he is talking to you.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

I think your brother may have had you frustrated and you couldn't concentrate on the gods/ess. Your mind was out of focus. Say you had a fight with someone then you go into work and you can't focus. Then work is messed up until a few hours later when you are fully focused. The next time your brother makes you lose focus take a breather for a few minutes then connect with the gods/ess. I like how you view the gods/ess.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm sorry to hear that your brother was unsupportive. I once had a similar conversation with a close friend, who spotted some of my books on witchcraft and started flipping through them and loudly mocking it (and he knew that I was Pagan). That was an uncomfortable experience, to say the least. For what it's worth, I think it's more of a reflection of your brother's aversion to religion & his own problems, not you.

Regardless of what his own spiritual issues might be, like Becks said, setting some boundaries is in order -- even if it's as simple as saying, "I know you disagree with my beliefs, but I expect you to at least respect them and not make fun of them." And part of setting boundaries, as hard as it is, is to follow up with consequences afterwards if he keeps on being disrespectful -- for instance, leaving the conversation, or saying you can't hang out until he agrees to be more respectful. (Just because they're family doesn't mean they're welcome to step all over you! Absolutely feel free to not invite him over if he can't handle basic politeness.)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Becks

Post by Becks »

Well said Xiao.
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

mangosandy82 wrote:I like how you view the gods/ess.
Thanks. I've kind of come to feel them in everything because of it.

God =
Big old trees
Wild animals (mostly strong ones like bears and wolves)
Storms and thunder and lightning
Fire
Air
Strong birds like eagles
The sun
Ect.

Goddess =
Flowers, soft plants and soft grass. (I see them both in flowers like roses, the Goddess is the rose, and the God the thorns)
Water
Clouds and soft rain
The earth (fertility)
Wild animals (small ones)
Domestic animals
Smaller birds and butterflies
The moon and stars (although I feel the God's energy in the north star I believe it's called? The brightest one)
Ect.

You get the idea hehehe

Blessed be *
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Also this tree, is a very special tree.

I feel a very strong energy from it. But I don't think it's the God or the Goddess.

So I don't know what kind of energy it is, but it's a good friend to me. And it's listened to me cry many times. (Yes I hug trees and cry against them, they are a "shoulder" to me, everyone has their own bit of weird hehe.)

Blessed be *

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”