Question about Moon Phases.

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
LadyRosemary

Question about Moon Phases.

Post by LadyRosemary »

I am planning a new beginnings spell for the upcoming new moon. My moon phases chart says the new moon is April 7th at 7:25 am. Should spell be done that night or night before? I know it's somewhat subject to personal beliefs, just curious what everyone would do and your reasoning why. I'm inclined to do the night of the 7th rather than the 6th.
"A witch can only function properly as healer & protector when she truly understands how fragile humans are. To walk the path of the wise is to sacrifice every sense of entitlement"
corvidus

Re: Question about Moon Phases.

Post by corvidus »

Lunar magick is an interesting thing. From my experience, the ritual or ceremony that is undertaken at a particular phase manifests throughout the continuing cycle.

For instance, if you do a 'new beginnings' spell during the days in which the moon is 'new', then these beginnings manifest during the strengthening of the moon.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, it's more important to tap into the energy of the moon rather than just doing a ritual at a specific time. Technically, I think there is a three or four day window for 'new moon' energy.

But for your purpose, would you rather do the ritual and fall asleep to empower your 'new beginning'?
or would you rather do the ritual and then go out into the world for your 'new beginning'?

I suppose it depends on how you'd like to approach it. Personally, most of my 'new birth/new beginning' rituals/ceremonies begin around 10 or 11 pm and I stay up to watch the sun rise.
LadyRosemary

Post by LadyRosemary »

While I would LOVE to stay up and watch the sunrise, I have to work 7:30-4:30 :( I do however love that idea the next time a new moon falls on the weekend and I am in Ned of something. Lunar magic is something I never gotten into the first time around, but I am finding I have a great interest in it this time around! Thank you for your input, it gives me some things to think about and meditate on.
"A witch can only function properly as healer & protector when she truly understands how fragile humans are. To walk the path of the wise is to sacrifice every sense of entitlement"
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

My preference is to do lunar spells at night, although I am not one to stay up all night. Where the moon's phase is reached during the daytime, I typically perform the spell that night, immediately following for a new moon spell, as I am catching it just as it begins to wax.
Myrth
Siona

Post by Siona »

My tradition has days which run from sunset to the next sunset, and I just mark the moon phase by whatever of those 'days' it occurs in, so for me, tonight is the night of the new/dark moon. That said, tonight is actually the last night of the lunar cycle/month for me as well, with tomorrow night's new crescent being the beginning of the cycle/month, so I would wait until tomorrow night to take on a new project (whereas tonight is purification to prepare for the new month). Plus, with that it catches the new waxing energy, which can be very nice symbolism for new beginnings.

But really, of course it is all about whatever day/night ends up making the most sense to you. Whether you want to go with the night closest to the exact timing of the new moon, or if you see an importance on being on the 'right' side of the new moon, either works depending on how you look at it.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I always work my spells around the moon phase but never do spells at night (too tired, can't focus or muster up enough energy, nosey neighbours ect). I do mine during the day (as long as the moon isn't void of course) and always get the results I want.

As far as I know you still get the energy of the new moon/full moon a day or two before and a day or two after it's actually new or full.
LadyRosemary

Post by LadyRosemary »

Thank you for all the awesome responses. I will be doing the ritual tomorrow night and I used tonight to cleanse and let go of the past in preparation for my new beginning. I love hearing all the different opinions on the subject!

Return to “Working with the Moon”