Traditional witchcraft book recommendations?

Share and discuss pagan music, TV shows, movies, and websites. You may offer your occult/witchcraft-related services here.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Traditional witchcraft book recommendations?

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Since my path has turned somewhat traditional, I've struggled to find decent reading material.

I can't seem to find anything about laying a compass. This has stopped me from doing a lot of spell work. I used to always cast a full blown circle and it always worked for me but now I'm after a more casual approach whilst still setting up a sacred space.

Does anyone have any reading recommendations regarding laying a compass and/or traditional witchcraft?

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Traditional witchcraft book recommendations?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Witching Way of the Hollow Hill by Robin Artisson has, but he uses antiquated vocabulary that can be off-putting. He also has a web site. The Crooked Path website is of the late Peter Paddon & also has a magazine. Paddon wrote Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk. I have only just bought it & not had a chance to read it yet. And Rites and Rituals of Traditional Witchcraft by Tony Steele uses a triple square instead of circle. He does not explain why things are done.

I've only just begun looking into this myself. Raven Gramassi has written Old World Witchcraft and tells of making a circle is drawing the circle of the moon. He covers the symbolic meaning of plant spirit communication, plants as teachers, connectors between the worlds.

By far the most useful book I've come across Nigel Pearson's Treading the Mill. It's got the basic how-to instructions. Roebuck in the Thicket by Nigel Jackson reads like a historic folklore summary of different areas practices. Both of these are very popular & best to buy thru the publishers CapalBan to avoid rip off pricing.

Also Traditional Witchcraft by Gemma Gary on Cornish Witchcraft has become popular. I've read it &' found new info. She has also written The Devils Dozen giving rites & rituals, & The Black Toad on West Country folk magic. Troy Books publishers.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Re: Traditional witchcraft book recommendations?

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Awesome, thankyou!

I just bought Peter Paddons' A Grimoire for the modern cunningfolk on kindle. Only $5! Can't wait to get stuck into it.

Return to “Websites, Media and Services”