Successful spellcasting the props or your will?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
GenevieveDawn

Successful spellcasting the props or your will?

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Not to long ago I read a post somewhere and can't seem to find it now. Nyte Witch (I think) and someone else were debating on what seems to be the key factor in successful spellcasting. Of course there are those that say you can cast anywhere. You don't need herbs, candles, planetary hours etc., but I think Nyte Witch said something about experimenting both ways to see if the outcome was the same. I found this really fascinating and would like to know what your conclusion was, but I can't find that post. So if you read this let me know what you found out. I'd love to compare the same spell with several different methods and compare, I just don't have the time.

Thanks
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

For me, at least, it is all about the will. The tools are helpful, but not necessary.

Mind, I'm not Wiccan so I may not be too helpful, but this is my experience.

I started off using what tools I could scrounge up (having almost no money does that to you). But I found that I was using the tools as a crutch, nothing more, when it came to spells. I have an offering bowl - it is strictly for offerings, nothing else - candles, incense, herbs, a "knife," an incense burner, and deity statues. The look very pretty on my altar. However, I don't really use them for spellcasting, not that I cast many spells. I generally use the herbs as offerings. I burn the candles on high holiday. I burn incense, sometimes as an offering. But for spellcasting? I generally have a chant/words and I might burn a candle or some incense to symbolise what I am doing, but that's it.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Nyte_Wytch

Post by Nyte_Wytch »

Here is the link to that debate.
http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... f07d31b857

You might want to go back and reread it just to refresh the debate in your mind. As for me I will no longer discount materials in magic. However the key to it is using the RIGHT materials (herbs, oils etc) when you use this method to ensure the results you want. Also if you use someone's else's spell be careful when making substitues, it may not work the same. A final point here is there is success in all forms of magic. A person's will/visualization skills can produce successful magic without componets mattering one whit. But, again, for the record a person who has a hard time with visualization etc. can produce successful magic using sympathetic means as well. To each his own...
"Shit happens and shit will continue to happen, it's what we make of that shit that really matters." -hedgewitch

"If the universe fundamentally decides what is and isn't right for you then what is the point in spell casting?" -hedgewitch
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Thanks for the response. I see you found the debate, which from a third-party standpoint seemed very interesting. I'll reread it again.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”