Catholicism's Inherently Mystical Elements

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
jimhanoverfist

Catholicism's Inherently Mystical Elements

Post by jimhanoverfist »

I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm Catholic. My mom Studied Mayan and Hinduism. I'm shifting from being a sun worshipper to being a moon worshipper and once you simplify without adding to many labels things that you may not of noticed before become clearer and more in focus. Jews practice magic, they wrote the old testament. Moses, King Solomon,ect were all sorcerers. The new testament is any orgy of Egyptian and Greek mythology. I was never given a choice between sun worship and moon worship because I was taught a lie. It's like the scene out of the matrix when the kid tells neo that you only need to realize the truth, there is no spoon. Christianity is a fictional religion. Composed entirely out of paganism and designed to keep us as distracted and as far away from magic as possible. There is no law in the Bible that states, " Thou shalt not magic." Christianity is never mentioned anywhere in the Bible. It isn't their book. There is a hidden truth somewhere waiting to be discovered and I'm going to find it. Keep it simple, and keep it real and the truth will be revealed.
moonraingirl

Re: Catholicism's Inherently Mystical Elements

Post by moonraingirl »

Hello jimhanoverfist. Sounds like someone was watching Zeitgeist :-)
To be honest, I'm afraid there's a need to do more serious research about history of Church and the Bible.
It Is interesting that this forum attracts former catholics myself included. At least so it seems to me from what I've read. It would be an interesting thing to study why is that.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I think that part of the answer has to do with the fact that Catholicism has an inherently mystical element to it. We were told to believe in prayer....and faith? Faith is a belief in what can't be seen. Angels....miracles/magic....the Holy Spirit? All commonplace in the faith. If you think about it.....each time mass is celebrated transubstantiation takes place. What is more magical than that? I think for some Catholics there is a lot of mysticism-the Carmelites for example.....Catholisism in South And Central America is highly mystical.

When the Catholic faith doesn't work for some folks, for whatever reasons....the hierarchy, the beliefs...I think that witchcraft and paganism can be quite a natural fit-depending on the person.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

That's definitely true. There are definitely parallels between Mary and the Godess. And some people pray to patron saints in the same way pagans pray to deities of particular domains.
In Catholicism there are also sacred objects, holy water and incense making transition to paganism easier.
I like Catholic mysticism (esp. Therese of Lisieux, Therese of Avilla, John of the Cross) and I strongly believe in the power of Jesus's name and I respect Mary. However I prefer to imagine deity as a female and I don't agree with all the formal rules. I also have issues with some of the Catholic moral dogmas.
Are you a former Catholic, too, Becks?
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

I love your fresh perspective on Catholicism, jimhanoverfist.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

jimhanoverfist wrote:" Christianity is never mentioned anywhere in the Bible.
Maybe, not quite so. The last supper comment of Jesus' "do this in memory of me" was one of the very few instructions given, and it was the kick-off. He wisely gave no particulars and left it up to his circle of friends (and look what they did with it.); and it seems to me that Jesus told people they could do greater things than he, so he clearly wasn't saying don't do it. At the Descent of the Holy Spirit it put a particular spin on the doing, however, of channeling the Holy Spirit to accomplish those things.

And that's consistent with the Old Testament. Yes, they did magic...but not the Shamanic magic of working with spirits of the dead or other world. the OT guys wanted one force acting through themselves and their authorized dealers, so to speak. And the Descent of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament was that authorized force/spirit being initialized into the continuation of a path nobody called Christianity at the time the texts were written.

OK, that's just how I see it, based completely on my own reading and what I get out of it. I am no Bible scholar, never took a theology class and only had comparative world religions 101 in college. And since I come from a parapsychology background and mediumship, my views are oriented to self justification...which is dumb, but that's the way it is.

Re: the hidden truths which you seek is a verrry big subject, anywhere from Avatars injecting temperance into human mind's to propel the species beyond tooth and claw, to numerical mystical codes unlocking the secret of creation, and as a method of teaching the species how to use its
mind. I seems all themes apply and none apply. I suppose it depends on what people can accept.

I can relate to the light/dark halves of the year as divided by John the Baptist's birth and Jesus' at summer and winter solstices. I thought it notable that saints feast days commemorate their death,but John's and Jesus's are their (alleged) birth dates. Nobody really knows. So these probably were for appeasing the pagans in reverse synchronization. I'm sure the pagan Elders of that time and era knew what was going on...not being dumb. And then there is St Fransis' Canticle of the Sun which is excellent for circle casting, if you leave off the last part added at the time of his death. Sorry, I'm rambling.

It is probable that all concepts of deity are false, and equally possible that all are true if they express man's search for himself. If there is any truth behind the concepts, the masks of humanity's reality may someday be removed by people with the courage and imagination to keep asking questions.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I noticed that a lot of the Catholic Church's Liturgical Year is similar to the Wheel of the Year.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Right-o, Snow. It would make sense. And what's the wheel but the observation of the effects of the motion of the Earth, her axis tilt and orbit of the sun, against the cosmic stellar background? And why wouldn't there be repetitious concentrations of energies within the cycle? If that's not sacred, i dont know what is. Festivals mark the beginnings of cycles or the peaks and rhythmic flow to which we, as beings of the planet, are attached. This must have been obvious to our Ancestors and, if I might add, also obvious to ETs. If modern people can feel the dips and peaks of natural earth-force energies, it must have packed a whollop before radio/tv, microwave, EMF and what all, which have their own impact. I don't think man has messed too horribly much with underground magnetic forces, and cosmic is still out of his reach...maybe.

Imagine mind-linking to the tremendous migrating herds of deer, elk, geese and buffalo? The mutual give and take between species. And interacting with the green spirit of plant life. Think of the annual death and resurrection of all that gives life. How could it not be sacred too?

And imagine how energy just naturally moves when people stand in a circle, energy flowing and increasing with each pass. Our ancestors could feel it. You can feel it. it links us to the Earth, and again, if that's not sacred I don't know what is. You can see modern churches are being built in round shapes instead of the former T-shape. Things are beginning to work out.
LadyMuse

Post by LadyMuse »

I've always was curious about the Catholic rituals and how they're not so different from the pagan/witch rituals. Circle casting especially. A good portion of their recited blessing could be considered a spell.
"Ignorance is not the greatest evil. The accumulation of poorly mastered knowledge is worse" ~ Plato
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Syncretization is in all religions. I could say a vast chunk of Shintoism is from Indians religions such as Hinduism, same with China. That doesn't make it a lie.

But it seemed to me Jesus was trying to reform Judaism, not found another religion. This is now a matter in academic debates.

As far as chosen between sun and moon worship, why not both?
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”