Divination methods

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
WiccaMaster

Divination methods

Post by WiccaMaster »

Anyone know what the most popular or preferred divination method for a newbie would be? Tarot seems really interesting but I'm kind of apprehensive about it because it seems like there is a lot to learn regarding it. From what I've been reading using a pendulum is a great way to start for beginners. Just want to see if people agree with this.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Divination methods

Post by SpiritTalker »

I guess every method has it's learning curve. Interpretation is the knack that goes with the method. Choosing your method is a gut feeling kind of thing. It's something you respond to, that sparks your witch-flex.

Pendulum is affordable...any weight on a string will serve, but certain stone bobs work better for different folk. Some prefer hollow, chambered weights and changing what they tuck inside. I found my best luck with a home-made pendulum, using a key ring, chain link bracelet and crystal sun catcher...basically linking together some junk laying around. Pendulums have many uses.

Some folk really love Runes and make their own with wood; Some make a set of stones with witchy symbols painted on. Stones are free and a marker pen works to draw with. I have luck with reading polished stones tossed like dice. And there are rune dice and tarot dice too.

And don't forget reading tea leaves or coffee grounds. Even clouds. Or dreams.

There are lots of different card decks to inspire reading. They are costly. Real die hards collect several types. I have a friend that only uses the inexpensive, Gypsy Witch deck and does exceptional readings. She could afford several expensive sets, but they don't make her twitch...her word. I've another friend that combined selections from 3 decks to get the buzz. I cant do it at all.
WiccaMaster

Post by WiccaMaster »

I like the idea of making your own runes, that kind of sounds like fun. :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I started out with runes, and made my own rune set made of salt dough. Of course plenty of people start off with Tarot too. Don't be afraid to dive into a more complex system of divination as a newbie, if that's what you're drawn to -- you may find that it improves your intuition and magical understanding a lot more than a simple yes/no divinatory system!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Like Xiao said it all depends on what you are personally drawn to. Pendulum called to me the most in the beginning so that's where I started.
Follow your intuition. :fairy:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Vervenna_Marianna

Post by Vervenna_Marianna »

If you want to learn tarot but are a bit overwhelmed by it, you could try investing in some oracle cards instead - I started off with an Egyptian oracle set (because like you everything that needed to be learnt for tarot reading seemed a bit daunting). Really liked my oracle sets, was a great starting point for tarot.

Return to “General Divination”