family freak out

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
Amber

family freak out

Post by Amber »

my parents dont know i am a wiccan they suspected it a long time back sat me down and said i was to no way continue. now i feel bad because i went behind there back and practice i want my parents to know but they seem so set against it does anyone know what i should do ?

Amber :(
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

As rough as it sounds, the old addage of "as long as you live under my roof, you must obey my rules" does apply. They are your parents, and in the end, they do want what is best for you. Because they are providing you with what you need to survive, it is in your best interest to do what they say until you're a legal adult and able to provide for yourself.

And until that day comes, keep in mind that the Craft isn't going anywhere. It's been around for quite some time before you and will be around long after you've gone from this life. Instead of focusing on topics that make your parents uncomfortable, there's a lot of other things you can work on. Study mythology. Read about the history of those ancestors who came before you. Keep a journal. Study topics of natural science (plant, bird, animal identification, etc.). If your parents are accepting, do some research into alternative medicine techniques (aromatherapy, massage, etc.). Learn how to work with culinary herbs in the kitchen. Learn about different things that later on you can use to enhance your Craft practices.

If your parents are open to it, chat with them about *why* they don't want you studying Wicca. It might be that they have a lot of misconceptions about what it is. It might also be something as simple as they don't want you having lit candles in your room or a sharp knife where your little sibling can grab it. Also see if they'd be willing to let you explore other religious practices outside of whatever they raised you in. When it comes to exploring other spiritual paths, no amount of learning is ever wasted.
Draconis

Post by Draconis »

id have to agree with what Juliaki said, also if you do ask why they dont want you to practise wicca or read about listen to what they say good or bad, after they have said try to tell them of what it is about and what it isnt, id suggest not hiding it from them but would suggest not telling them everything about it
All of lifes little problems can be solved by beating the buggers on the head with a broom.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I agree with the above.
For me, my parents don't know I practice Wicca, nor do I think they suspect. However they do know I don't believe in christianity anymore. I actually talked to my dad about that, just randomly came up. I think it's easier to just slowly progress into topics like that.
As long as your not waltzing around wearing your pentacle outside your clothes, especially if it's upside down :x then you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
N.R. Naiacinaed

Post by N.R. Naiacinaed »

I also agree with the above. =)

~*Ashley*~
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

I'm in an opinionated mood today so here's a stupid non-response:

I think you have to choose what to do, I really understand those who are
condoning compliance with your parents' wishes. I have myself given
similar advice for probably something like the same reasons. Usually
though it's clear that the parents are concerned with the well-being of
their child above all. Mostly in these cases the parents are willing to
engage in rational conversation about the issue even if they disagree.

Sometimes though it's just parents freaking out because their heads are
all screwed up by a bunch of nonsense usually involving irrational
judgement, fear, intolerance and the denial of the basic human motive to
judge, control and wage war. Lately I'm getting more and more pissed
off with all the shit that gets crammed into peoples heads; I hope this
passion will ebb in the near future, call me human.

What to do in the case where a child is being held a mental prisoner by
their parents' beliefs? I don't know. Spirituality is so important to all of
us in whatever form we seek to address it and I have to say that certain
religious views actually damage peoples' spirituality severely.

Sorry about your situation Amber, it's probably a good idea not to rock
the boat with your parents if they're dead set against this and they
probably do this out of love. Maybe though, they should teach a class
to adults about how movies aren't reality.

best wishes,

T. Guy.
. . . . . . . . .
Be aware.
. . . . . . . . .
Ronnoc

Post by Ronnoc »

My parents dont know i practice Wicca, i dont think my mum would care, she used to do a small bit of witchcraft when she was my age.
The family on her side probably wouldent mind eather, my grandparents and that are all pretty open mined.
My dad on the other hand veiws all magic as "Devil worship" and my grandparents on his side are Johova's witnesses and almost had a hart attack when the founhd some tarrot cards in my room.
saianalyd

Post by saianalyd »

my parents don't know either, but i think my mom suspects. it might bother my mom, but i know my dad wouldn't care. it would make for a lot of akware conversations, though.
-lydia
saianalyd

Post by saianalyd »

my parents don't know either, but i think my mom suspects. it might bother my mom, but i know my dad wouldn't care. it would make for a lot of akware conversations, though.
-lydia
kittiekat93

Post by kittiekat93 »

My dad has no clue... my mom would probably freak out, but she doesnt live with me so she doesnt need to know. i come from a catholic family, and its really really reallly REALLY against the catholic faith to practice witchcraft and magick. . . i wanna tell him but i am pretty sure that he will ban me from practicing magick. should i tell him or not? :?:
[SanityIsLost]

Post by [SanityIsLost] »

My Stepfather tells everyone about how his ancestor founded Salem and how he is proud of the Salem Witch Trials so I'm not telling anybody in my family until I am a lot older and out of his reach...
SilverWolf

Post by SilverWolf »

when i lived at home, my mother didnt want me to really practise wicca, she didnt aprove of it herself, but the main problem, was that she misunderstood what it was, again all my mom had known about is what she had seen on tv, and unfortunally they do a verry poor baiscly non exsisting job of teaching people what it is. After my mom found out what it really was about, she was more ok with it, but still not a houndred percent comfortbile with it. We came to a silent agreement though. She didnt seem to mind me reachering didfrent religions and such and learning more, so in the house i could reasearch and learn as much as i liked about wicca but i didn't practice it in my mom's house.

SilverWolf
corrupted_beauty

Post by corrupted_beauty »

I, fortunatly, can not relate to you situation. I suggest you tell them, even thought they may not like it. Lying is never a good choice. They might be set against it, but you should tell them that it is what you believe and that they should respect that. Maybe explain to them exactly what it is pagans believe. Paganism has a bad reputation and many people don't know what it truely is about. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Aryiok

Post by Aryiok »

I would just tell your parents your practicing to try out for the opening role in the TV show "Charmed". Cuz that's what real Witchcraft is.....NOT!!!!! (Don't laugh, I know you all watch it too...LOL) Ah yes, the old I'm the parent, I'm right, you're in my house situation. Pretty much all the advice you've been given does hit home here. However, you can still use, practice magick from within and not outwardly show it. Good luck to you, and tell your parents you're going to curse them...no don't...bad thing to say wiccan rede an' all. Blessed Be.

Aryiok---keeper of the stone

Oh and to SanityisLost.....does your Father know that the people killed in the Salem Witch trials weren't even witches? Not sure I'd be bragging about that....LOL

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”