Fall balcony garden

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
smogie_michele

Fall balcony garden

Post by smogie_michele »

FINALLY we have a little bit of money in our bank account and I am absolutely dying to "pretty up" my balcony area. I don't have a whole lot of room, but I would love to have a plant or to outside to add some brightness to my outdoor space. Any suggestions?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: fall balcony garden

Post by Firebird »

Hey Smogie! Good to see you again :D
I've wanted to try the upright gardening containers made out of old pallets. I have a limited area with sun and would really like to try some veggies. Anyway here are some cool images of the pallet gardens. https://www.google.com/search?q=upright ... th+pallets
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Fall balcony garden

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Hey Smogie! Gardening can be so fun! I've recently taken it up and now I'm obsessed! There are a lot of ideas on Pinterest. What you need to do is watch you patio one day and see where the sun falls and for how long. Then place your plants according to how much sun they need.

Herbs are super easy! Plant several of them together in a planter together for best results I've found. I've also got some succulents which have been pretty easy as they don't need watered often. Maybe 2x a week is all that's really needed. Again, I plant several in a container together to create a pretty mix of them. Impatiens and petunias are flowers that don't need much sun and do well on covered porches. But, they require regular watering. I prefer the plastic, but decorative planters. They are much lighter and cheaper than the clay ones. Some plastic ones don't come with holes in the bottom though. You either need to drill holes or place rocks or a broken brick in the bottom of the planter to help with drainage. A plant that's doesn't have good drainage will die pretty quickly from the roots sitting in water. Have fun!

Rosie
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

The pallet garden was very pretty and would fit quite nicely on my small patio, but that may end up being a project for another time.

I'll look into petunias and impatiens (never heard of impatiens before), and see what kind of care they require. I'm worried that I've waited too long to plant and that we wont be able to enjoy our flowers for long before fall and winter kicks in and kills them off... but then again I live in the south, so winters tend to be pretty mild anyways.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

What zone do you live in? There's lots of flowers that should do pretty good up until a freeze. Pansies and jump ups are my favorites and you can throw some of the flowers in your salad!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor

We'll be waiting for pics! :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I live in north ga. Pansies would be nice, they aren't too expensive either.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You could plant a pleasing plethora of pansies for a precious pagan patio paradise :fairy: :surprisedwitch:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Nice!
Or maybe a helpful heaping host of healing herbs for a happy, healthy home?
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Herbs can be very hardy and would live well into the winter. Hardy herbs include: sage, rosemary, mint, oregano, thyme, & tarragon.

Rosie
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I had a mint plant for a long time and couldn't kill that sucker if I tried. I forgot to water it for two weeks and it was still kicking butt. When we moved, Cody threw it into the woods behind our apartment... when we moved back, I walked back there to see mint popping up all over the place- one of the other residents said she goes back there when she wants mojitos.
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Rosemary and lavender will do the same thing. Aromatic, pretty, and low maintenance.

Return to “Gardening”