Astrology and Tarot

General questions and conversations about astrology.
GenevieveDawn

Astrology and Tarot

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Divination section, but what are the best ways to incorporate astrology into tarot readings? Besides the horoscope spreads and choosing a significator card based on the person's sun sign. I know that all of the cards are ruled by a sign, but I don't know what to do with that information once I have it. Also with the court cards, if the sun sign doesn't match the querant's sign, is it often the sign of someone involved in the querant's life or can you not use the info in this manner.

Thanks!!

Gen
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Good question there Gen. Many astrologers and tarot readers respectively have various opinions on the matter. A really good Tarot reader does not necessarily have to incorporate astrology into the interpretation, and she/he will still have tremendously insightful readings. In the same vein, a good astrologer may have had little to no experience with Tarot to perform effective astrological analysis. I would argue, though, that Tarot makes more use of astrology than astrology utilizes the Tarot. Astrology is much older, and follows a different set of principles of relation.

Ahh, the old court card question. There is a group of Tarot readers here that I am involved with and this debate happens every meeting. This is where astrology can actually interfere with the interpretation. 'Tis true, that often, for instance the Queen of Cups will represent a water woman like Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces, however, I have had a Scorpio woman turn up as the Queen of Swords. And, for some reason this fits, I am sure you know what I mean. And, there are some earthy men who turn up as Knights or Kings of Wands, rather than the traditional Fire. I think that an adept Tarot reader will incorporate a little astrology into the reading, but always use caution with the court cards, as you rightly highlight.

I think with the Major Arcana, signs can overlap. There is an element of Cancer mixed with the secrecy of Scorpio and the gentleness of Pisces wrapped up in the High Priestess card. Thus, I would attribute more Elemental energies to the Majors, rather than get caught up in a conundrum about whether the Devil card is Capricorn or Aries or Taurus. I think with this card, for example, that the energy of Fire and Earth are in it. Whereas, Judgement has Air and Water. Of course this is all general and the specifics of the reading should guide the interpretaion more than any set rule of general interpretation.

If Tigerlily is sees this, I am sure she'd have some cool insights too, as many others here will. Good thread Gen. Hopefully the debate can go around and around right here!

Blessings,
bsp
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one interested in the court cards. So many people expect you to almost pinpoint who the person is if it is not themselves, but generally as you said it doesn't turn out to be the persons sign, more of the personality traits.

There is some interesting info on tarot and astrology at http://tarotinstitute.com under the short courses. There are 6 parts to this, it has some different ways to use astrology with the tarot. Things that I would not thought of. However, I really still have't figured out HOW to use this. Check this site out and tell me what you think.

BB,

Gen
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
RAWRwiccan

Post by RAWRwiccan »

i have a deck and i know what they all mean. but whats a soul number?

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”