Handfasting?

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
Greek_Male_Witch

Handfasting?

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Can a solitary witch perform a handfasting? Not on myself, two of my friends want to get married by handfasting and they asked me if I want to be the one to do it, they are new on the craft, and even though I'm a witch for so long, I've never thought I would need to find out about handfasting, can anyone pointing me to a ritual step by step? Thanks again!!! :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch:
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Handfasting?

Post by SnowCat »

My husband and I were handfasted by a non denominational minister that I found online. I looked up handfasting traditions, and wrote a version for us to use. We had four attendants, each with a different colored ribbon, who tied our hands together. The minister was also able to legally marry us in the State of Colorado, so that took care of both of our requirements.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

So I cannot handfast them unless I'm officially a minister/priest of a coven or church? Thats a bummer :( Thanks
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

If you're wanting to legally marry them, you would have to have the legal authority. If they want to have a separate handfasting ceremony, that isn't legally binding, you could do that. It really depends on the law where you live. You might also be able to be ordained as a minister, and receive the legal authority to perform marriages. You would need to research the applicable laws where you live.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

My understanding is that anyone can perform a handfasting or other ceremony to sacralize a relationship. But without being ordained (or granted a temporary license to perform the ceremony), it will not be legally binding. Many places permit you to get a temporary license, or you can simply have a separate handfasting ceremony from the actual wedding.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Becoming ordained is pretty easy, so if you wanted to be the one who can legally bind your friends you can- just check out universal life church online.
On the other hand, they could always do the justice if the peace thing before hand and you could preform a hand fasting ceremony afterwards. That is pretty much what my fiancé and I are going to do.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”