Multiple Personalities: Illness or Spirits?

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
Jellyfish

Multiple Personalities: Illness or Spirits?

Post by Jellyfish »

Hello!
I have MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder) and the weird thought occurred to me that these "personalities" may be spirits sharing my body. What do you guys think?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Multiple Personalities: Illness or Spirits?

Post by SpiritTalker »

That's a tough question and I don't know how to responsibly reply. It's easy to toss around theories. When considering possession by another spirit or spirits, and MPD, the vocabulary bogs down quickly. They look alike on the surface, but is possession by disincarnate entities the important question? It would seem more useful to know how to claim and protect your sovreign right to be consciously within your body without displacement by other entities or personalities. in the long run, does calling it one thing or another make a significant difference? Would the situation be better or worse for you if it was spirits? Would that make it easier or harder to work through?

Something to consider is that Spirits should have their own histories of eras in time, that would be different from your own. Alternate personalities would have to share your current time-frame, wouldn't they?

Do you think you could be a medium? Maybe you could research that. Are you fairly telepathic? (just FYI, I became a trance medium at 17, and the spirits I work with only come through when invited). I don't know anything modern about MPD since I've not persued the subject since being in school.

Edit...I have a quirky sense of humor...I noticed you had posted your topic in the Beyond the Earth section...is that like " I'm not saying it's aliens but, it's aliens"?...just couldn't resist? blue_flee
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

True. I also have this theory that it may be more like a dual conscience, since my two other "personalities", Kri and Zytka, are very in depth while a normal personality shift I would think to be much more... Basic?
Basically what I'm getting at is that Kri and Zytka are very sentient and have their own thoughts, feelings, and objectives in life (goals, wants, needs, addictions)

However they are within the same timeline as me. They perfectly understand the modern world so I suppose the spirit theory could be ruled out.

I am more of an Empath than a Medium I think...

Lastly... Pretty much XD I thought it would make it interesting so people would click it. I'm very dramatic at times ^.^
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Well, all 3 are part of the whole and for best results must work for the unit's well being. I'm just musing, that as my guides would say, none of us get there until we get there together.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Probably the main causal factor in Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) as it's now called, is when an individual survives some sort of extreme trauma and in order to deal with it emotionally, the individual's mind will splinter off into various characters, or alters. More times than not, it seems, some kind of sexual abuse occurred.

Each character will seem to play a vital role in that person's survival. For instance, one character might be the survivor at the age of the initial trauma, say, a five year old for example. Another character might be that child's protector, and is defensive and speaks for the child because the child is unable to speak for himself. Yet another alter might be an executioner type, and seeks revenge for the wrong done to the child, and is plotting a violent eventual retribution of some sort against the abuser.

As SpiritTalker mentions, it's important to seek integration of these various alters. The danger with this kind of disorder is an alter could "take over," so to speak, and the core individual gets lost. The survivor under the influence of that alter could commit crimes that get him institutionalized or sent to prison, or worse, depending how the case gets ruled. This is a worst case scenario, of course, and most cases never get this bad. As with most other behaviors, there's a spectrum. But, the bottom line is, DID is nothing to play with.

Besides all that, it is very difficult for someone who suffers from DID to have normal relationships, romantic or platonic. Also, they can sometimes have a very hard time being employed and supporting themselves. So, there are serious quality of life issues at stake, as well. Just focus on working with your healthcare providers to do the healing work you need to do, so that you could live a healthy, productive life. Focus on healing.

Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

Actually, (as I have spoken with mental professionals on this topic and matter many times) there is no help for me at this point. No medication has or will work, and I am already perfectly aware of, and can communicate with, my alters. There really is no "healing" more so just... coping.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hmmm.( head scratching) are you operating as a democracy, benign dictatorship, or anarchy? All are part of you and necessary or you wouldn't have created them, but disruption of the unit is not tolerable for any. It must be a good thing that you have awareness of the alternates. If it's 3-way, that would be encouraging as a move in the direction of integration.

We talk about having different sides to our natures, and at times one side is stronger than another because those talents are required to meet a situation. How often do we hear someone say "I've never seen this side of you before"? and yet it's always been there, dormant until circumstances called it forth. Yet we don't associate these different sides as different personalities. If we take it a few steps further, it would be obviously so. maybe it's a matter of degrees. Forgive me for rattling on and on. Just getting my head around what your experience might be like. I don't mean to down-play the difficulty you endure.

As a medium, I hear my "voices" throughout the day, often humorous, sometimes bossy, when I remind them I am not running a democracy here where each gets a vote. Thanks for the input, now pipe down
and back off. Not the same thing of course. Just sharing.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Jellyfish wrote:Actually, (as I have spoken with mental professionals on this topic and matter many times) there is no help for me at this point. No medication has or will work, and I am already perfectly aware of, and can communicate with, my alters. There really is no "healing" more so just... coping.
I see. Managing symptoms sometimes is the best one could do. I wish you the best.

Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

SpiritTalker wrote:Hmmm.( head scratching) are you operating as a democracy, benign dictatorship, or anarchy? All are part of you and necessary or you wouldn't have created them, but disruption of the unit is not tolerable for any. It must be a good thing that you have awareness of the alternates. If it's 3-way, that would be encouraging as a move in the direction of integration.

We talk about having different sides to our natures, and at times one side is stronger than another because those talents are required to meet a situation. How often do we hear someone say "I've never seen this side of you before"? and yet it's always been there, dormant until circumstances called it forth. Yet we don't associate these different sides as different personalities. If we take it a few steps further, it would be obviously so. maybe it's a matter of degrees. Forgive me for rattling on and on. Just getting my head around what your experience might be like. I don't mean to down-play the difficulty you endure.

As a medium, I hear my "voices" throughout the day, often humorous, sometimes bossy, when I remind them I am not running a democracy here where each gets a vote. Thanks for the input, now pipe down
and back off. Not the same thing of course. Just sharing.
Oh, no, I love to hear other's thoughts on the matter.
Personally I's say it's a sort of Dictatorship where I have the most control, but I still let the others have their say too. And of course I can't help if one of them takes over and makes a decision for themselves....
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Logically all decisions affect the unit with shared consequences.

Somewhat aside, I once read a story where one of the characters really was three different individuals, a set of triplets in one hermaphrodite body, two male and one female. Each of the triplets had different skills & didn't always get along. Their bickering was humorous for the story. Every character in the story had some unique quality that had been discovered early in life. They had been taken from their families by the "secret government" and trained for black-ops & each was forced to develop their specialties. Another character had strong clairvoyant abilities. Yet another lived in multiple time lines and could predict probable outcome of success. It reminded me of the Montauk Project, which really did happen, and may have been the inspiration for the story. And I don't remember the name of the book. I also didn't finish it for some reason...

Which is a whole 'nother string of fish.
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

That's somewhat how we interact with each other.
Zytka is the most intelligent and logical, and the best singer.
I am the best artist of the group, and the neutral who decides what is right and wrong.
Kri is the least intelligent in the book sense, but is very survival oriented and crafty when it comes to makeshift tools.

I dunno, I'm a weird body I suppose...
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi there,
As I read through this thread it makes me wonder if chimeraism has any thing to do with this?
It happens more often than we know, but It would be that as triplets, 2 of the fetus would have had to be absorbed, I do not know how common that is. Twins ...pretty common, triplets...no so sure. I've been looking for such reports, but haven really found anything definitive to triplets.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

FBF...that's what I've been trying to describe but didn't know the word.

J...the 3 division by talent and strength you describe sound like "head, heart and hands."
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

Believe it or not, I used to work in an adult psych unit. Since most of my patients--friends, really-- either had Dementia, Schizophrenia, or a TBI, I don't really have any experience with DID.

But I can say this; you and your alters seem to have some things to work out. Whether in real life or in your mind, it seems like the three of you have some ways to go.

It seems like you have a choice; embrace your alters and get along as closer-than-siblings. Or, try to rise above it and heal. Either way, you have a hard path ahead of you. Either course you take will likely be the most difficult thing you ever have, or ever will, do.

Have you considered becoming an artist? Or a public speaker? It seems like you have a pretty good handle on things either way. And there is a lot of stigma surrounding mental illness. Maybe, just maybe, you can help people shed some light on what they've been trying to sweep under the carpet for ages. Who knows, you and your alters might be able to bring some real change in the psychiatric field if you really wanted to. I mean, I've been trying where I live, but I'm just a CNA; all I can do is advocate for my patients.
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll

Return to “Mental Health”