Putting Together a Book of Sorts on Green Witchcraft

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Tornadofire-Sylva

Putting Together a Book of Sorts on Green Witchcraft

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

Hello all!
Yesterday, a dear friend of mine called me, and told me that a friend of his was looking to commission me for a written primer on green witchcraft. As I've been practicing for 8 years, I've got a good bit of knowledge rolling around in my head. I'm keeping it as impartial and practical as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions for what all topics I should include? I'm including a lot of disclaimers and tips, if anyone has any wisdom they'd like to share, I'd love that, too! Everything I'm putting in the book that isn't from my direct thoughts is being cited and credited.
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Putting Together a Book of Sorts on Green Witchcraft

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hey, best wishes for your project. I've read a few books over the years, and one thing seldom covered is how to connect, and how to recognize that you are connecting, with the life force or spirit of the plant life we select. And then, what to do with this precious connection, how to fulfill it's usefulness.

Recipes and formulas abound. The sensitivity to create the formulas is internal, intuitive and book-learned. Descriptions from different witches on how they receive intelligence is too often described as "it's a feeling I get", but to be helpful it needs articulating what those feelings are. What's the process?

More ideas...Recycling. Repurposing. A general chart or guide to Moon phase planting & harvesting for root, leaf and fruit.

These are questions I ask when I'm reading. And always WHY something is recommended, used or suggested.

Edit: as a fledgling witch, the way I was taught to take trimmings from the garden for magical uses was in a dream in which I was visited by an old-time, Scots woman who said her name was Elsie Gibbons. I was shown to look for the soft glow around the plant, to look for it's aura. Then to touch the plant and ask for the plant's assistance, & tell the plant what I was going to use it's offering for. Then wait. If the plant glowed brighter in one area, then that bright area was the portion I was given permission to cut. Cut cleanly. Sprinkle water and fertilizer in thanks. I'd like to learn about what others do.

To see the aura I have to center myself. This is a shift of consciousness, a pulling-inward of my awareness and to focus while centered on the plant. Cupping my hands around the plant and admiring it's intricate creation is an aid.

There are days I couldn't see an aura if it tweaked my nose. I must not take my bad moods and clippers to the garden together. If I'm crabby, the garden will sooth me, but It's no time to be snipping leaves and posies.
Tornadofire-Sylva

Thank you so much! That's all super useful, and I didn't think of some of it. Especially when it comes to gathering herbs.
Tornadofire-Sylva

Bumping this!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Moving this to the nature forum