witch or warlock??

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
gingerkitty

witch or warlock??

Post by gingerkitty »

Hi there,this is probably silly ,but is a warlock just a male witch with the same power, or is it different to a witch?
Elem

Post by Elem »

As defined by Google:
"A derogatory term which literally means "oathbreaker". It is a common misconception that male witches are called warlocks. However, male witches are no different than females in this respect and so they are simply called witches."
So male witches are just called.. Witches :lol:.

Elem
gingerkitty

Post by gingerkitty »

thank you,a debate i was having with a so called warlock has just been won(by me) thank you again
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

A male Wiccan would be a Wiccan, although if you go back historically, a female practitioner of Wicca (or in some traditions, Wica) would be a Wicce and a male practitioner of Wicca (Wica) would be a Wicca.
gingerkitty

Post by gingerkitty »

Hi there,isn't a witch not so much a wiccan still a witch no matter the gender if you only go by the witch part of the practice,leaving the religien part out of it?
Skylights

Post by Skylights »

I think as far as just witchcraft goes, not Wicca specifically, it's still generally considered offensive to call someone a warlock. I think the more accepted term is still just 'witch.'
[color=blue]*Skylights*[/color]

[color=green][i]"So if you don't rate,
just over-compensate...
The world loves wannabes,
so, hey hey, do that brand new thing."[/i][/color]
gingerkitty

Post by gingerkitty »

Hi there,WHen is a worlock a worlock if a witch is both?
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

A person, male or female, is a warlock when they break oaths (and generally oaths of secrecy) to those of their Craft.
gingerkitty

Post by gingerkitty »

Hi there,thank you for clearing that up, it was a question that ive been having a debate with someone for some time .And i win thanks again.
Raven451

Post by Raven451 »

I have always been under the impression that a witch is a warlock when they have broken an oath to a coven and have been removed from the coven as well..With that description in my mind a Warlock could be either Gender and definitely is NOT something a witch would choose to be referred to..

Bright Blessings,

Lori :)
Aubrey Rose5

thanks

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

this is a very good question though that im sure tons of people were wondering so thanks for bringing it up
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
HPCrowley

Post by HPCrowley »

If i'm not mistaken, some Satanists refer to themselves as Warlocks. I'm not sure if the "official" C.O.S. ones do, but freelancers may. I'll look up some info.

Edit: I perused the C.O.S. website, and found no mention of the term, so i assume that card-carrying Satanists don't use it.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”