Starting an Herb Garden

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
HazelWolffe

Starting an Herb Garden

Post by HazelWolffe »

Next to my Work Place there are two Garden Centers. One of which was preparing for the incoming cold and just put up a 50% OFF ALL PLANTS sale sometime in the past 2 days. How can a Witch refuse?

I'm a little nervous due to the upcoming cold, but from what I can tell, the plants I got are either fairly hardy, or do just fine indoors. I managed to find:
- Dwarf Lavender
- Russian Sage
- Terra Cotta Yarrow
- Aloe Vera
All for just under $14!!!

Once I get paid again I'll be buying some Clay Planters for all these. But I was trying to help in some ways to help them grow. I thought of painting some signs and runes on the Planter would be a good idea... Also adding crushed eggshell to the soil... Does anyone else have other ideas to help promote good plant health during the Winter? The Aloe itself is pretty mature... The other plants aren't quite that mature yet, but they're pretty well established.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Starting an Herb Garden

Post by SpiritTalker »

Oo, nice mix of plant choice! : ) Winter is when plants go dormant, or slow their growing. Bringing them indoors simulates a short winter. Water moderately, and don't over feed. Place a small quartz in the soil. Water retaining gel beads mixed with the soil can help.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

You should research methods of pest control. It will most likely be a problem in the future because all the little critters move indoors during the winter.

And they're even more active in the summer.

Aloe usually doesn't have a problem. I have 3 aloe plants and they've never had pests. But my wormwood and lemon balm get them.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Starting an Herb Garden

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Herbs like to live in a a pot together. If that's not possible they can still live in separate pots. Your aloe Vera should be find in the winter inside. Sage and lavender are pretty hardy and can probably stay outside up to about 40 degrees. They bring them inside for nights lower than that. I'm not familiar with yarrow...?

Coffee grinds make great compost, like the egg shells. Leaves too.

Rosie
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yarrow and R. sage grow 2-3 feet tall. Will spread.
HazelWolffe

Post by HazelWolffe »

Actually I just researched sage and it seems to be pretty hardy up to -20 degrees F.
The others only about 30 degrees.

I forgot that about coffee grounds... I guess ill start scooping out our K-Cups.
RosieMoonflower wrote:Herbs like to live in a a pot together. If that's not possible they can still live in separate pots. Your aloe Vera should be find in the winter inside. Sage and lavender are pretty hardy and can probably stay outside up to about 40 degrees. They bring them inside for nights lower than that. I'm not familiar with yarrow...?

Coffee grinds make great compost, like the egg shells. Leaves too.

Rosie
HazelWolffe

Post by HazelWolffe »

I didn't think about that, thanks.

It looks like if you want natural pesticides, Himalayan salt dissolved in warm water and used a a spray keeps away spider mites... And Eucalyptus is good for general ants and such. Just in case anyone else wanted to know.

I also think I heard that Peppermint or Cinnamon keeps pests away?
corvidus wrote:You should research methods of pest control. It will most likely be a problem in the future because all the little critters move indoors during the winter.

And they're even more active in the summer.

Aloe usually doesn't have a problem. I have 3 aloe plants and they've never had pests. But my wormwood and lemon balm get them.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

From personal experience, I think Aloe is one of the easiest (and handiest) things to care for. I had one and forgot to water it for a week and it did just fine :)
Sage is pretty durable, too!
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
HazelWolffe

Post by HazelWolffe »

Yeah, from what I'm reading, Aloe is one of the easiest plants to care for. With it being a desert plant, it doesn't need terribly much watering. Sage seems to do okay in desert ares, too.

Here's some photos of my little herbs. Unfortunately sharing a pot isn't too much of an option until I manage to get my own garden space, which probably won't happen until I'm able to get my own house. But I had fun decorating them and enchanting them.
Attachments
15064890_1304653026222010_1699761136_o.jpg
15051970_1304692152884764_529309604_o.jpg
15044661_1304691722884807_393721363_o.jpg
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

The decorations are adorable! And, yes, sage is hardy and can probably withstand lower temps than 40. I just always bring all my plants in at 40 to be safe.

I don't get too many pests on my herbs.. On my veggies yes, and spiders on my succulents, sure, but I don't really mind the spiders, they eat other bugs. I use sage, rosemary, basil, and dill as natural pest deterrents for my veggies. The best natural defense against plant pests for me has been ground cayenne pepper. It's what my grandma used as a homesteader. The local health food store allows you to buy it in large amounts. Sprinkle it all over the base of the plants and leaves. You can even mix it in water and put in a spray bottle and spray the leaves. Don't forget to reapply as water washes the pepper away when you water or it rains.

Rosie

Return to “Gardening”