Ideas for next year's herb garden

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Mickey P

Ideas for next year's herb garden

Post by Mickey P »

I've been thinking about adding some new plants in the herb garden next year. I'm thinking of adding lemon balm, ginger garlic and peppermint. They have their uses in cooking, but they also have positive health effects.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to hear what other folks grow <3
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for next year's herb garden

Post by Firebird »

Sage and lavender are fun, I had several different varieties of each. Echinacea is great for healing and it smells wonderful, chewing on a seed will numb the tip of your tounge, it's kinda cool. Thyme has many varieties too. I tried angelica once, but I think it needs a cooler wetter setting. Brugmansia has really beautiful flowers that smell so sweet and are supposed to enhance prophetic dreams. Rosemary is one I have going now, and violets. I had a great herb garden once, this house has too much shade for herbs.
Let us know what you choose :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you have pets, plant something that repells fleas, such as Southernwood Artemesia abrotanum, Pennyroyal, tansy are all invasive, so use pots or borders, and culinary rosemary repells too.

I used rows of marigold between tomato plants to keep bugs away.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I've had luck growing my herbs together in one large pot. I mostly grow culinary herbs so sage, Rosemary, thyme, oregano, mint, etc. this winter I plan to build this nifty layered garden bed that will fit nicely in the corner of my yard. I'm going to try to grow some magical and medicinal herbs in it. Dill is one of my favorite herbs to grow and use. I grown it in the veggie garden bed to keep pets away and it's great in soups, dips and with fish!

Rosie
Mickey P

Post by Mickey P »

I already grow rosemary, sage, coriander and spearmint. I'll be adding the lemon balm, peppermint and thyme to the herb garden.

The garlic and ginger can go to one section of the regular garden. I think I have a place for the lavender, and I've read up on echinacea, and I think that'll make a good addition too.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! It's already shaping up to be a good herb garden for next season.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Cool, maybe a pic when they get all lush and full?
Garlic ...did anyone mention garlic? That's real easy. ...ok I just looked, yep! On the list. :fairy:
Good luck!
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Your Hardiness Zone has everything to do with planning, planting, tending, harvesting, etc for in-ground and container herb gardening.

http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/201 ... -more.html
Here is the BEST website I know of for ***Location Specific*** herb gardening.

Be sure to click on the first link in the first paragraph to learn EXACTLY what zone and sub zone you are in.
Or... Here;http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

Return to “Gardening”