Geometry as a Ritual Tool

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
corvidus

Geometry as a Ritual Tool

Post by corvidus »

There are a lot of posts on fancy Athames, incense and the like -- but I think one of the most important 'tools' for any spell is the geometry of the whole thing. Geometry is a physical expression of numerology! (circle = 1; triangle = 3; etc.)

What shape do you and your other instruments make while you perform rituals? What shapes are your favorite?

It's quite common to be sitting or standing in the center of a circle, but where is everything else located? I've included my other tools as a square within the circle, as a triangle, as a hexagram, etc, depending on what I'm going for.

It's an interesting topic for me, and I'd love to hear people-thoughts ;)
Bychan Wulf

Re: Geometry as a Ritual Tool

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I like your idea! I have never actually thought about this before...
Recalling the last rituals I have performed...I think everything was circular. The circle (of course), and the tools in a crescent form,with the Goddess candle in the middle of it.
Maybe,as ST explained it to me,I will start using triangles depending on the meaning of the ritual.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

I personally cast the circle marking the five points with candles, then I create a star within a star within a star using crystals and herbs... it reinforces your circle to contain and channel energy more effectively, in greater quantities and it also offers a reinforced structure to build the spell off of... picture it like this, on its own concrete is strong and so is a rebar, but combine them and they are exponentially stronger.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

CleverlyDisguised wrote:then I create a star within a star within a star using crystals and herbs...
Are your pentagrams (or star. I'm assuming they're pentagrams) all phasing the same direction, or do you have the first pointing upwards, the next one inverted, and the next one pointing upwards, and the next one inverted, and the etc?

But I do like this idea, of having the mineral and plant kingdoms involved as their own geometric structure within the circle.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Bychan Wulf wrote:I like your idea! I have never actually thought about this before...
Haha thanks, but technically it's not my idea. It's a fairly common practice! I just like studying it :)
CleverlyDisguised

I have 5 stars total so I do one starting at each of the points but they follow the natural shape of the Star so they invert every other star
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't get too fancy, and use only a couple of shapes: the upward pointing triangle /\ for sending or dominance spells, and the downward pointing triangle \/ for receiving or nurturing spells. I also use the interlocking triangle of the 6-pointed star for manifesting something material as it symbolically represents union of creative, male and female forces. /\ is the male force, the blade; and \/ is the female force, the chalice. I arrange the items on the altar into these shapes. I have also used the equal arm cross + in marking the circle. It is visualized 3-D horizontally north-south, and east-west, plus vertically above-below. It also symbolizes union. I use it for centering myself for meditation, placing my chair at the center, facing north generally, which is where I'll put the stang or the altar, whichever I'm using. And I have a spell using the 5-point star in a crystal layout. Positioning crystals around the circle can take any of the above noted shapes. The X can also be used as it is the rune sign for a gift or blessing.

Edit-oh, and my altar is A square kitchen cart, with 3 shelves below so it has a total of 4 horizontal surfaces that can be used to represent above and below, or each element, or whatever I come up with at the moment.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

CleverlyDisguised wrote:I personally cast the circle marking the five points with candles, then I create a star within a star within a star using crystals and herbs...
Cool that you can use so much stuff for rituals! I really like the idea of using crystals for channeling.

I only work with 4 candles or 4 objects for the elements and the fifth I consider my spirit and the one of the Goddess.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
CleverlyDisguised

I only use that set up with heavy ritual work as it free up some of the visualization I usually do by using physical representations... i usually just cast my circle, bless the space and go. No muss no fuss
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I cast spells only on Esbats. If I have a month to think about the importance,the effects and the possible harm my spell can do,I can cast it with more confidence and also be sure I do something impulsive and won't regret it later.
That's why I take my time to put everything in place and invite the elements and spirit animal inside.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yeah, I prefer the less fuss the better. The shapes all have their meaning ... Like a square is material manifestation and anchored in earth, so I use it for my altar. I've used rectangular tables, foot rests, tree stumps, the floor, wall shelf, book shelf, dresser, even the top of a washing machine, ... But all my altar cloths are square, because bandanas are made that way. No special meaning unless I want one.

I don't always cast a full Wiccan circle either. And I've experimented with a few different kinds, and different directions of motion and what not. I like a north-oriented, circular, counter clockwise shuffle step for special space just to meditate. It dissipates when I walk out of it. More often than not, I meditate in my recliner chair, in a NE corner facing SW because that's where it fits, and no circle. I store my stang next to my Lady Shrine, leaning against a north wall. So it's always set up. Eh, too much info. :)
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

SpiritTalker wrote:Yeah, I prefer the less fuss the better. The shapes all have their meaning ... Like a square is material manifestation and anchored in earth
I like the less-fuss approach as well.

The shapes also have planetary correspondenses

Circle = Unity/Revolution of the Spheres
Triangle = Saturn
Square = Jupiter
Pentagram = Mars
Hexagram = Sun
Heptagram = Venus
Octagram = Mercury
Enneagram = Moon

My favorite geometric figure lately has been the Seed of Life
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

How are you using the SoL? I have one printed on a 1" round disk pendant but I'm darned if I can wear it more than 10 minutes before I feel quirky.
CleverlyDisguised

SpiritTalker wrote:How are you using the SoL? I have one printed on a 1" round disk pendant but I'm darned if I can wear it more than 10 minutes before I feel quirky.
Define "quirky"
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Visualization meditations mostly.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”