Anybody have recommendations for a Wiccan/pagan bible?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
cataluna49

Anybody have recommendations for a Wiccan/pagan bible?

Post by cataluna49 »

I've wanted something similar to a "bible" but in the pagan/Wiccan path. Something with legends and lessons and things to read in times of need? I would love to hear what y'all would recommend!
Mystie.Graves

Re: Anybody have recommendations for a Wiccan/pagan bible?

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I'm very curious as well.

I was forced by my mom to read through the Christian bible many times. While i never felt it was right for me, there were some books in the Bible that i faulty head good lessons.

I think of there is a pagan bible it could be a very very good read.

If you find something is be interested to know. I'll keep a watch out too, since I do a LOT of reading. So if I happen to find anything I'll let you know. =)

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I don't think there is such a thing...I read on some sites that the BoS is a wiccan's Bible. Others said that Scott Cunningham's books can be thought of as a Bible.

If anyone finds anything,I'd be interested as well
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

For the most part that's what I've read as well. Each person has their own BOS, which is like a Bible.

The Christian bible has more life stories, teaching lesson through happenings in someone's life... Whereas a BoS typically has depictive writings of information & various points of research rather than stories. Or sometimes a BOS is more like a journal with bits of research/information throughout.

I think what cataluna49 is looking for, which is what is like to find too, is a pagan/wiccan/witch book with history or stories about particular happenings from someone or several someones that come with lessons & information that is legitimate & not just some fictional story. While i have searched for a book/books like this, all I ever found was fictional stories, or books like cummingham's which lack that same bible/lesson-learned-through-story feeling.

Granted even the Christian Bible has errors, & came to be from many books that weren't even written at the same time, so it's more of something I'd consider to be a book of guidelines and not a requirement to live.

I've looked for something similar for a pagan view-point/belief... I really doubt there is a book like it that is "real".

Would be nice though. Haha! =D

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There is no such book because there is no one, single, authoritative system of Wicca, & no single deity, and no single history or mythology. Each culture has developed their own. No one would condense them.
Somewhat like the flood story appearing in many mythologies around the world, so does the descent of the goddess and resurrection of the vegetation god, both going back to Mesopotamian Ishtar and Tammuz.

There is, however, a book called "The Witch's Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar ... It is a general overview of /Alexandrian Wiccan practices, and a version of the descent of the goddess, as Persephone. And I can't recall off hand what is given on the horned god, other than the title Cernunnos as lord of the animals and forest. The 8 seasonal holidays are explained. Coven rituals are given. The book doesn't provide a life stye guide, moralize, nor comfort.

And sources for non-Wiccan witchcraft vary widely... Again, no authoritative single source. I think the apocryphal Book of Enoch and Book of Noah, plus reconstructed Eurasian Shamanic rites fill the gaps. The practices favor a fallen angel, reconstructed into the horned god. And is entirely different from Celtic and Norse.

And possibly magical practices and occult studies are passed on from the Chaldean Kabbala. Not an easy read!
cataluna49

Post by cataluna49 »

Mystie.Graves wrote:I'm very curious as well.

I was forced by my mom to read through the Christian bible many times. While i never felt it was right for me, there were some books in the Bible that i faulty head good lessons.

I think of there is a pagan bible it could be a very very good read.

If you find something is be interested to know. I'll keep a watch out too, since I do a LOT of reading. So if I happen to find anything I'll let you know. =)

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Thanks!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote:There is, however, a book called "The Witch's Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar ... It is a general overview of /Alexandrian Wiccan practices, and a version of the descent of the goddess, as Persephone.
yes thank you Spirit, that's the one I was going to mention too, it's the only witch book with the word "bible" as a title...I think other than the name it's a pretty good reference.
I have this book its kinda interesting called "A Pagan Ritual Prayer book" by Ceisiwr Serith. It has prayer to address different topics, holidays, deities etc...
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Book Reviews”