Witches Ladder

Member's writings, poetry, ramblings, etc.
IsaacIcarus

Witches Ladder

Post by IsaacIcarus »

I made my own witches ladder today! I'm intending to use it as a grounding tool and as a way to better connect me to the elements. It has three feathers to represent air, sea glass and a shell for water, some quartz for earth, a red and a black stone for fire. I think it turned out very well. http://imgur.com/a/qgbw8
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Witches Ladder

Post by Firebird »

Wow :D that's really nice! What sort of cording did you use to string it?
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I like your grounding idea with the elements. Very positive.
IsaacIcarus

Post by IsaacIcarus »

firebirdflys wrote:Wow :D that's really nice! What sort of cording did you use to string it?
FF
Thank you! I used hemp cord :fairy:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nice!,
I really like natural materials in my magical pieces, just seems to feel better.
I'm thinking of doing one using yucca fibers, that will be a great spring outing project.
Thanks for the insiration!
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
IsaacIcarus

Post by IsaacIcarus »

firebirdflys wrote:Nice!,
I really like natural materials in my magical pieces, just seems to feel better.
I'm thinking of doing one using yucca fibers, that will be a great spring outing project.
Thanks for the insiration!
Bb, Firebird
You're welcome! Though I will admit I did use a touch of superglue here and there to make sure the cord stayed where it's supposed to haha. Good luck on your project :D
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yea, I made a staff once that had all natural materials, I even used pine pitch to adhere stones to it, seems they wouldn't stick if they were tumbled.
I finally resolved to use plummers goop if I really want something to stick! Lol

I remember doing a string trick with a loop of yarn, that was called a witches ladder or Jacobs ladder. 2 different spiritual schools of thought. I was under the impression you worked your magic into the yarn as you made the ladder then left it where it needed the work. The other items were witches broom and witches hat. Then there was cats cradle.

Does any one know why it was called Jacobs ladder? Something about ascent to heaven but why associated with the string trick? Was it really some kind of granny magic that morphed into a Christian theme?
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
IsaacIcarus

Post by IsaacIcarus »

Oh that's interesting firebird, I had no idea that was a magickal thing. When I was a kid I did those tricks too, but they were just fun games to play with string. Jacobs ladder might have come around with commercializing and marketing string games to Christian kids and families, or maybe it came up separately and naturally from Christian kids playing with string and just calling it what it looked like to them. I'm willing to bet the names are totally unrelated and just come from two different cultures naming a thing.

Return to “The Creative Corner”