How my practise works around patron deities?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
James122

How my practise works around patron deities?

Post by James122 »

I've been having problems with understanding how if you have one patron deity and a matron deity you can go about working on things completely unrelated to that deity.

If I'm in need of something particular but my patron or matron deity is completely unconnected to what I wish for guidance or help on then do I invoke a diety that would be better suited or do I just stick with the ones I'm most connected to?

If I can't seem to place my Patron deity into the wheel of the year then what do I do or if my matron deity is completely unrelated to the moon who do I call upon at an esbat?

Since I began I've been just referring to them as Lord and Lady because then they can fit into the lunar cycle the wheel of the year or whatever I'm working on well but I feel that is lazy of me since many other wiccans I know have a name for their deities and I feel it's time for me to do the same.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How my practise works around patron deities?

Post by SpiritTalker »

There are a couple of ways around your issue of matters unrelated to your matron/patron:

You can diversify so that not all projects are matters of direct petition to deity. You can work with elemental correspondences and ask only a blessing from deity for your success.

Work with a loose concept that all gods are one god, and all goddesses are one goddess, for the god is the active force and the goddess is the passive force, then you can call upon (evoke) god-forms of varying pantheons, with the permission of your matron/patron if your prefer that caveat.

If there is an area, history of a place or culture, that appeals to you, then use the deity names of that culture. Many people turn to the culture of their ancestors...where are they from? Do you have a patron or matron name already in mind? Follow their mythology.

There are moon gods and moon goddesses. You don't have to use your matron or patron for the moon. Use any moon related principle. Or ask the moonlight what it wants to be called. Most people would follow the pantheon to which the matron or patron belonged, and the Moon's bound to be covered.

The wheel of the year standard 8 Sabbats is a guideline only. Any cycle will be part of the mythological lore of your matron/ patron group. Not all deities have a relation to the cycles of the wheel, if it's not their job. Not all cycles are the same. Hunting & fishing gods would follow migration cycles, agricultural gods walk the growing cycles. then there are pantheons that are celestial, working only solar cycles. Take your pick.
Siona

Re: How my practise works around patron deities?

Post by Siona »

James122 wrote:Since I began I've been just referring to them as Lord and Lady because then they can fit into the lunar cycle the wheel of the year or whatever I'm working on well but I feel that is lazy of me since many other wiccans I know have a name for their deities and I feel it's time for me to do the same.
There's nothing wrong with just honoring the Lady and Lord if that's what works for you. It's not lazy, and many non-initiatory sources of info for Wicca do focus on the Goddess and God as their own beings of sorts.

Now, beyond that, if I'm understanding right, you don't have a particular pair of deities in mind for including in your practice, so... well, you might be worrying about something that won't even be an issue. If you begin to work with specific deities, you may find as you get to know them everything falls into place.

As for the sabbats and such, there are many pagans out there who follow the wheel, but don't follow the Wiccan mythos of it. You can celebrate the planting, harvest, etc, without necessarily involving deities. Or you can give thanks to a deity at the harvest time even if they're not related to the harvest - you can still be thankful for them for their blessings, right? There's a lot of symbolism in the wheel that can be applied broadly. There's a lot to explore there, but again, it becomes easier to actually do that if/when you begin to work with specific deities.

Additionally, while I know many Wiccan sources do tend to focus on that god/goddess pair, sometimes it doesn't always work out so neatly. You may find yourself drawn to only one deity, or three deities, or many from a pantheon (or multiple pantheons) at different times. So if you do choose to pursue working with specific deities, that's something to keep in mind. Things might not always go as planned, but they do tend to work out in the end.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”