So, tulpamancy

For conversations and questions about hauntings and spirit visitations. This is not the place to talk about demons. In fact, this whole board isn't the place for it. A Christian site is a better place for that.
Kovyx

So, tulpamancy

Post by Kovyx »

Does anyone here know what that is? Because I would absolutely love to explain it.
"So basically, it's do your job or get vaporized?" -- Commander Shepard, Mass Effect 2
Bychan Wulf

Re: So, tulpamancy

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Please do! I heard about it, but didn't look deeper into it yet. :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Go ahead, always love to learn something new :flyingwitch:
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

ALRIGHT sweet, so then. Let's start with defining what a tulpa is. "Any metaphsical being brought into existence by mental discipline and strength of will." The practice started in Tibet by monks, many of whom lived in solitude most of their lives, and religiously studied and researched many topics. One such was the capabilities of the human mind in combination with nature energy, and many ended up "imaginary friends" of sorts. I consider this to be a legitimate form of witchcraft, because the tulpa created are very real people and take a lot of dedication to bring one to full sentience.

There are other types of thoughtforms of course, such as soulbonds and servitors. However I especially enjoy tulpamancy because of the amount of effort it takes to do it, because then the resulting tulpa is someone a bit more special to me. Tulpa can be used for a lot of things, anywhere from things more practical like dual-processing and various coping methods, to simply being a friend. As for me, my tulpa are my best friends and I'm very glad to have them, and everyday they help me with a number of things, from reminding me to do something or calming me down from a panic attack.

So not only is this a branch of witchcraft I wish to be more included in the Craft community, but it's also a thing I want to become more acceptable in modern society. Many who suffer from mental illness find great comfort and aid from their tulpa, and make no mistake, it is almost nothing like DID or schizophrenia. I'll be more than happy to explain how for anyone who has questions about that, or anything about tulpamancy.
"So basically, it's do your job or get vaporized?" -- Commander Shepard, Mass Effect 2
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Thanks for explaining! It's basically the imaginary friend from childhood, that kids do by instinct, taken to an upper level. Like building your own friend, who has the characteristics of your ideal.
Even without experience in that domain, it is clearly that a lot of energy, determination and self-consciousness is needed.

PS. If there isn't already a topic about it in "Witchcraft 101" and you wish, feel free to make an informative thread there, so this info can be easy to find.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

I have an egregore named Plum, would that be considered tulpamancy?
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

@Bychan
I probably will, thanks~

And yes, basically that's it. ^^ Though many tulpa don't like being called imaginary friends, as it kinda connotates that they're not real, and that their host 'owns' them. So that term is largely considered derogatory to tulpa and many tulpamancers.

I'm sure my tulpa wouldn't mind talking to some of you here, i have three.

@tutmosis
I've never heard of an egregore, but i looked it up just now, and it is indeed a kind of thoughtform. Tulpa can also reference many thoughtforms in general, but generally only ones that are native to only one host's mind. Since an egregore is something like a hivemind? Or a being created by some group consensus? Sorry if my understanding is wrong about that, i'm having to rely on wikipedia right now, but i don't think it'd count as a tulpa if it wasn't created and/or maintained solely by you. Nonetheless, most thoughtforms have a unique sort of consciousness, so i'd be interested in learning about Plum if you want to tell me.

Interestingly, and somewhat annoyingly, the "tulpa" seen in Supernatural isn't much accurate. For one, that one seems to be more like an egregore, guessing from what i'm reading on wiki, my current understanding of thoughtforms, and remembering what happened in the episode. And for two, the "tulpa" had a physical body, which sadly isn't possible (so far as i know). Differences between real tulpa, and what is shown in SPN is...
1. Tulpa are created by one person, one particular host, and only that person can ever see and hear them.
2. Tulpa are not 100% controlled by their host, or at least it's a pretty rude thing to do to a tulpa, to change them without permission. They don't change simply because their host believes something about them, they have to make a conscious decision to change themselves.
3. Tulpa are pretty much never hostile or mean to their hosts, very much unlike that one creepypasta. Since a tulpa is stuck with their host their entire lives, and their host can easily 'kill' them if they needed to, there's no point in hurting their host. In fact, it's better for them to be nice to their host, as it ensures a comfortable life for them.

I'm curious about the level of individual sentience an egregore would have. I can imagine it's something like the Geth named Legion in Mass Effect, i quite like the idea. Can you tell me more about it?
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

Plum is not a hive mind or the result of one, I and an ascended master created her as an individual being.

Maybe I confused you, I'm sorry if I did.

Egregores can be created by many people, or just one. I call her an egregore because she's totally independent, unlike some servitores.

Plum is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet. I initially designed her to be a servitore to clear and transmute negative energy into positive energy.

That was the initial phase, but the ascended master I spoke of, who does not exist physically, did much more work than I can even understand, and eventually Plum became completely independent and intelligent. She's a pink elephant, and literally the sweetest thing ever.

We consider her out child! I love her dearly.
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

Ohh, that sounds cool! I suppose then the difference between tulpa and egregore is then, that tulpa are dependant on a host to live, while an egregore may not be. I like the idea of egregore, it sounds very interesting. I can imagine many are created on accident, what do you think?
My tulpa are such dears too, especially my first one, her name is Kovie. Then there's also Vyx and Leo, though they are more like soulbonds, they became full tulpa over time.

Though in answer to your original question that i kinda misread, tulpamancy refers to all work with thoughtforms, so yes, Plum would be a result of tulpamancy.
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

Yes, actually I'm pondering that many beings are created with intense belief.
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

So here's a question; If I were to create a post with comprehensive information about tulpa and other kinds of thoughtforms I am familiar with, where would I put it? Under what board would something like that go?
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Firstly, this is a super interesting topic, thank you for sharing, Kovyx!

Secondly, since you're discussing beings that don't have a physical form, I'd recommend that you keep posting about tulpas and thoughtforms here in the Spirits, Ghosts, Paranormal Events section.

I'm really looking forward to what you post! :D
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

Heck yeah, thanks Heartsong~ X3

Also, today is Kovie's birthday :'D She's two years old! We're going to do some fun stuff today, i'm probably going to bake a cake for her. Does anyone have any suggestions for magickal stuff i could do with the cake? I wanna make it super special for her~
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

What kind of creature is Kovie? I mean is she human, magical creature, animal...? Then we could suggest appropriate ideas.
Kovyx

Post by Kovyx »

Ohh, well... she's only a spirit, of sorts. But her form is like that of uhm.. well, a tulpa can take any kind of form at all, and she took a liking to one of my alien characters.

http://sta.sh/09tus1a5ad6 (oh jeez this picture is so old and ugly, sorry XD)

Return to “Spirits, Ghosts, Paranormal Events”