A tricky question about depression and anxiety

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
Ashrend

A tricky question about depression and anxiety

Post by Ashrend »

I want to ask how people deal with depression and anxiety whilst being magical. I understand some of the basics of magic and I don't expect magic to be able to take away any of my depression or anxieties. But I wanted to ask how people manage both their magical side and their depression or anxiety or both or even more. Magic is a part of me. I wish to learn but I want to know how people deal with the dark thoughts and depression side of things especially if you are not a dark witch as I believe I am of the lighter side with the taint of darkness. Not sure if any of this makes sense, but if it does, please comment. I could do with some guidance from those more knowledgeable than me, which is most people.

devon
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: A tricky question

Post by SpiritTalker »

There are a few of us on the forum who share the challenge of depression. I got help. I worked with my doctor, who put me on anti-depressant meds. It made all the difference, like the sun coming out on a grim day. Then, I was able to think in a healthy, wholesome manner. I worked at grounding and shielding, which you'll find discussed around the forum if you use the search function. And I improved my diet, which I had to do anyways. I wear shungite and amber beads which enhance and balance the body's energies. It doesn't take large chunks.Hopefully others will share what works for them.
Mystie.Graves

Re: A tricky question

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I do my best, I see my doctor about it. I started on some medications but didn't like being on so much. My doctor & I discussed various things.

So far the best that works for me is:
A daily multi-vitamin with another extra vitamin B12 & another extra vitamin D. Which my doctor told me a needed the extra, so it's not on a whim. Everything I do I spoke with my doctor about.

I combine this with detoxing drinks like dandelion root tea, stinging nettle tea, & during my monthly cycles I have raspberry leaf tea. As well as other teas. I enjoy raw sugar or honey to sweeten my tea, sometimes a bit of cinnamon too.

I also keep a 2.5 gallon continuous brew of Kombucha which is great for detoxing & balancing your body slowly & naturally.

I balance my diet add much as I can afford to. I speak with anyone I feel comfortable talking to & relax with my own form of meditation.

Things are never instantly easy or fixed. While I'm still working through my problems the more I work toward something better the more I feel I've stepped toward being a better me.

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Heartsong

Re: A tricky question about depression and anxiety

Post by Heartsong »

Hey,

Firstly, just letting you know that I moved your thread over to the Mental Health section since the topic better fit here. :)

Second, I also have issues with anxiety and depression. I had to get help pretty young and have been taking medication for a long time now. That helps, but I also had to learn how to talk to other people about what was on my mind. I don't like conflict, so I tend to keep a lot of things bottled up, which isn't healthy. I've had to teach myself how to share with another trusted person when I'm overwhelmed.

As far as my practice, it actually helps me to do ritual regularly. I feel like I can breathe again afterwards since I channel so much emotion and physical energy into it. It feels like mental exercise, which is a good thing for me since the anxiety tends to make me hyper-focused on minute things that are out of my control. I meditate as well, and combined with grounding, I feel like I've made strides in controlling my depression through my practice. I want to try something like Tai Chi so that I can blend light exercise with mediation, but I haven't found a good guide for it as of yet.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Thank you all for your comments. I will take them on board and hope to make strides with my own depression and anxieties. I plan to, once summer starts coming around again, to dry out my own dandelion root and possibly thistle once I've researched it

devon
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I don't have such experience, but my cousin, as a non-magick-practicioner, has. What I learned from her, is that setting rules for yourself works. For example: Never cast spells when in a bad mood or angry ( I use that too).
When you are in that state of mind, you can do things you will regret later.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm glad MysticG mentioned vitamin B12 & D. I also take those but for diabetic neuropathy. They aide nerve function.

And BychanW made a good point of maintaining self control when spell crafting.

Exercise relieves anxiety amazingly well. Take a 15 minute walk, even if it's raining! Breath fresh air!

Return to “Mental Health”