A call to shamanism?

Tutmosis

A call to shamanism?

Post by Tutmosis »

About two years ago I was on a spiritual pilgrimage through the u.s.a. I went about 3000 miles hitchhiking across route 66.

One night, while sleeping outside a church, I was sleeping. I had a dream that a Jaguar demon had possessed my body. At that time a white wolf with silver eyes and a purple third eye came to me, and in one swipe had killed me, and all I saw was blackness and at the center of it, a skull of a Jaguar. Right when that happened, I got the impression the wolf poured life giving water down to me and revived me as a Jaguar.

Is that a call to shamanism? Any feedback would be great :)

-Aetheryn
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: A call to shamanism?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Jaguar is a powerful symbol with many meanings in certain cultures. You could see what these associations are. You certainly had a potent spiritual rebirth experience, but only jaguar spirit can tell you what it is.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

A good friend of mine prefers to call these experiences 'a call to shamanize' -- rather than 'a call to shamanism'
He says the difference is, 'shamanism' is the perspective of an outsider looking in, whereas to 'shamanize' is the perspective of the insider looking in. If that makes sense.
Basically, you can't 'do' shamanism, but you can 'shamanize'. :)

But, technicalities aside, I would say the experience was the culmination of your pilgrimage. And if you compare the colour of the animals in the dream to the alchemical colour scheme (black for death and putrefaction, white for rebirth and life), it could be an interesting thought-experiment.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

It is very similar to what many shamans experience actually, but this also usually happens just before or during the "shaman sickness". The sickness is usually damn near crippling and is typically thought to be the side effects of the spirits essentially rewiring your entire astral system. Raven Kaldera and a few others have written about their experiences in going through the process.
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

I've never heard of this shaman sickness, but I have had my energy body rewired by Ra and Thoth. Maybe that's significant?
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

The shaman sickness is typical to many traditions. Epilepsy is also attributed to it in some cases.

It consists of the dismemberment and dissolution of the Astral body, and then it's reorganization.

My own theory is that this is necessary to align the Spiritual body's DNA to the Physical body's DNA.

If you're interested in the subject, the hostorian Mircea Eliade compiled many accounts in his "Shamanism: Arcaic Techniques of Ecstacy"
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Jaguars are the highest level of nagual (nahualli) one can have and symbolize great sorcerers in Mexico. Tezcatlipoca, god of the earth, has a main nahualli that is called Tepeyollotl or "heart of the mountain"; that is a jaguar.

I made a topic on nahualli. If you use the search button you can find it. The concept is also found in Nordic lore and appears the same as the Aztec.

If you have any questions, hit me up. Dreams are important and my nahualli topic also covers it.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Lady_Lilith wrote:The concept is also found in Nordic lore
Do you mind linking some resources for this? I'm curious.
Lord_of_Nightmares

corvidus wrote:
Lady_Lilith wrote:The concept is also found in Nordic lore
Do you mind linking some resources for this? I'm curious.
This is the nahualli topic: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... li#p245841

I don't have the academic sources for the Nordic concept so much. A friend of mine and I compared notes, simply. I do have Aztec ones. It's called Fylgia in Nordic lore.

http://norse-mythology.org/concepts/the ... -the-self/
- Devi
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

Wow your thread really helped me. I feel like I have two beings that share my soul. A jaguar and an eagle! Possibly a snake and Dragon. But your thread is kind of in the direction I want to go in. I can scry to see different parts of people, and I'm called to defend those in need and heal those who are hurt with my jaguar. Maybe I can learn more about this
Lord_of_Nightmares

tutmosis wrote:Wow your thread really helped me. I feel like I have two beings that share my soul. A jaguar and an eagle! Possibly a snake and Dragon. But your thread is kind of in the direction I want to go in. I can scry to see different parts of people, and I'm called to defend those in need and heal those who are hurt with my jaguar. Maybe I can learn more about this
I haven't heard of a person who had two share the soul, but I don't think it is outside of the realm of possibility. Just never heard of it before. Tezcatlipoca has 4 nahualli, however, only one shares his soul with him; the jaguar. Same with me. I have 3 total, only 1 out of the 3 actually shares my soul with me.

One with an eagle nahualli is considered brave in Mexico and it's associated with the god Huitzilopochtli. The jaguar person can either be a good person or bad person, with their sorcery. Even though the animal is sacred and considered one of the best. In small villages, if one is found to be a jaguar, they are feared until confirmed that they are good.

Aztecs also had two main troops in their armies; eagles and jaguars. They are likewise symbols of war which was important to the Aztecs a lot. Literally, night (jaguar) and day (eagle).

I say do what you feel like. If you feel like you need to help people with them, you can.
- Devi
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Just for clarification, Edred Thorsson says this about the fylgia in his book Runelore.

"8. The "fetch" (ONfylgja) is in many respects the bright side ofthe shade. In
men the fetch is seen as female , and in women it is male. Actually, there are
three fetches, or "following spirits": in human form, in animal form , and in
geometrical form . Each image has its own function. The one in human form
is attached for the duration of life and can be passed on from generation to
generation, either along genetic lines or according to willed projection. The
animal-shaped fetch is usually in a form that corresponds to the character of
the person to whom it is attached-a wolf, an eagle, a horse, a fox, a mouse,
and so on. It can be separated from the vitki as a magical act. The vitki also
may project his conscious will into the fetch in order to carry out magical
workings. A geometrical shape is often seen by those with "second sight"
going out infront of persons of great power. Thefylgja is the repository of all
of the actions of the persons to whom the entity was previously attached. It
can be the source of great power but also of tremendous responsibilities and
even hardships. This entity is the storehouse of ¢rlog-it can protect and it
can doom. The fetch is closely related to, and in some cases identical to, the
valkyrja or dis entity."
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

@Lady_Lilith how would you even begin to use your animal?

What do you use them for and how would you use them? Generally speaking.
Lord_of_Nightmares

tutmosis wrote:@Lady_Lilith how would you even begin to use your animal?

What do you use them for and how would you use them? Generally speaking.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
This depends on what I am doing. Each animal has their own special powers. The crow one for example is good at seeing into the future. My bear one is more in tune with finding problematic spirits. My main one is an exceptional flyer who can see through darkness and has boss hearing.

Basically, each animal has their own senses that we can use to do things and learn things from, that is the scientific stuff. Then they have unique supernatural abilities which are harder to pin and learned through experience.

It's also good to use them to traverse the otherworlds. Especially, flying types. Some animals have very good healing abilities, but I only know a bat guy like that.

Here is a list of uses depending on the animal:

-fighting/defense against magic, people, or spirits
-divination
-stealth, if applicable
-healing
-traveling through the otherworld, works really well with flying types
-traveling different environment types
-communication

There is probably more. But this is off the top of my head.

You can also ask the one that shares your soul with you questions and get answers about yourself. The god Quetzalcoatl has done this and so have I. The other acquired ones can communicate generally with you about stuff such as their abilities.

I found asking the earth in your local vicinity helpful in acquiring new nahualli, the ones willing to form a bond with you, anyway. I found a local nahualli that way.

Stealth and defense are useful if you plan on shamanistic ways. There will be hostile spirits and magic users in those worlds. Stealth can also be beneficial to just eavesdrop to acquire information.

Anyway, hope that helps. You can always ask the nahualli what their powers are and they will tell you.
- Devi
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

@Lady_Lilith have you ever had to spiritually fight a negative energy entity?

Return to “Shamanism”