Anyone likes ASMR?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
moonraingirl

Anyone likes ASMR?

Post by moonraingirl »

Does anyone of you like ASMR? In case you don't know what it is:
"Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) signifies the subjective experience of 'low-grade euphoria' characterized by 'a combination of positive feelings, relaxation, and a distinct static-like tingling sensation on the skin'. It is most commonly triggered by specific acoustic, visual and digital media stimuli, and less commonly by intentional attentional control"."

Simply put it means that you enjoy listening to certain sounds, touching fabrics or materials or watching subtle lights which creates very positive feeling in you. It is not sexual in any way, it is pure relaxation/meditation. There are tons of videos on youtube which are made specifically to induce this feeling.

I've experienced it since childhood and always assumed that I'm weird as usual, until I discovered that a surprising amount of people feels this.

Yesterday I spent like 2 hours watching videos of a man reviewing military food rations from different countries (LOL I have absolutely no interest in military at all! I was watching videos about people tasting normal sweets from different countries and this was in the suggestions :p). His voice was totally hypnotizing and calming for me and there were crinkling sounds of opening plastic bags and his hand movements. It was just a totally relaxing experience and I slept so good after watching it. It was fun to read the comments because many people described exactly the same thing- they had no interest in the topic but just couldn't stop watching him!
Bychan Wulf

Re: Anyone likes ASMR?

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I get that too and same as you, I just thought it was part of my weirdness.

I can't watch a 2h movie, because I get bored, but I can listen to the same song over and over again for a month or watch a spinning top go 'round for hours and being extremely satisfied.
Touching different fabric, not very often, but it did happen a few times and people thought I was mentally ill (I was just bored).
Oh, and sounds, those are awesome and keep me busy for hours....but drive the people around me crazy. I guess they don't apreciate the rhythm or can't hear it the way I do...I begin to understand why I'm a loner lol
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

That's exactly my case, I can't watch movies, either. They last an eternity! They feel like wasted time and usually I don't care about the plot much.
Watching spinning top must be fascinating. I can imagine that it is very hypnotizing and calming. have you got one or more of them when you play with them?
What music do you listen to?
I also like watching people doing something, especially painting or creating new things. When I lived in the dorm, my friend was an artist and I would spend a long time watching her paint. It was creepy now that I think about it but she was an artist and weird in her own way so I guess she didn't mind :p. Today I only watch videos :D
When we were on a holiday in Italy with another friend who works in a pharmaceutical company, she had to study some very complicated book about medicines. I forced her to read it out loud for me because I loved listening to her reading.
I rarely get ASMR from fabric or touch. However, when I was in 2-3rd grade, my classmate was wearing a sweater made of - what for me at that time- was an exclusive fabric. I don't know what it was but it was dark red and shiny yet cozy and warm. He sat in front of me and I stared at it for half of the lesson. Then I leaned forward and touched his back cause I couldn't resist anymore!

OK, this really, really sounds like an excerpt from medical documentation :D
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Hahaha, it really does sound like it.
I watch movies, but only on the internet. I mostly watch TV series, because I develop a bond(sometimes even a little obsession) with not exactly the characters, but more with the actors, who I also start secretly stalking them. I am fascinated by their ability to change and build a new personality. Funny enough, it's almost never the main character...and usually a negative one, which I empathise with. (I'm crazy, I know :-P) The current one is a conational, which makes it easier to follow :twisted:

I've got a few spinning tops and both me and my cat love them...but one of us keeps hunting them.

I have a looong list, are you sure you want me to get started? :))
I'll clasify my taste in music a little: symphonic metal, rock, folk metal, folk, classical, and spiritual/wiccan/pagan.
How about you?

Ugh, you don't want to read that book! >~<
I do get ASMR from people talking (but mostly singing) too.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Sometimes I like negative characters, too. For example I loved Snape during whole HP series, and even more in the end :)
LOL tryig to imagine you and your cat playing, to must be a funny sight :D
Maybe you can pick one favourite from each genre?
I know about these genres and I heard several songs from them, however I don't remember exactly who they were. Does Nightwish and Evanescence belong to that category? I'm a type who can appreciate good and high quality music when I hear it, but I don't have the need to actively search for it. I only listen to the most commercial radio because there are great entertaining hosts who always make fun of something and ask listeners to send their funny stories and comments. So I listen to whatever music they play, which is basically the most mainstream pop. I know it is not quality music but it doesn't matter to me.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I liked him too :-)
It really is funny, but my mom started to worry last year when I spent more than 2 hours like that. Only the cat could understand haha

I'm too tired to write them all again and not mess this up. I wrote them here a while ago: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ening%20to
My tastes in music are mostly for what I listen to in my PC or phone. I listen to the radio as well, when I don't have my own music. It gets me through different kind of situations and helps me think. It's like a drug to me; one that cannot harm anything else than my hearing.
I don't like the radio hosts; they have a different kind of humour than mine and those I like can't always be caught in my city. I'm not very lucky I guess. :-P
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Anyone likes ASMR?

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Ooooo I love ASMR!! When my husband travels for work and is away, I don't sleep as good so sometimes I will watch ASRM videos to help myself relax and sleep on those nights. I had no idea it was a thing but I knew that I got that relaxed and fuzzy feeling from watching someone have a massage so I started with massage videos and stumbled upon ASMR. I have the day off work but I woke up early as I'm use to doing. I may watch an ASRM video right now to see if it can put me back to sleep!

Rosie
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Glad to see you are into this, too! Did the video help you sleep? There's this guy MassageASMR on youtube, he's great :)
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

moonraingirl wrote:Glad to see you are into this, too! Did the video help you sleep? There's this guy MassageASMR on youtube, he's great :)
Yes, it did! Thanks I'll have to check him out!

Rosie

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”