Magical Oils: Formulas and Advice

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Scarlet Woodland

Magical Oils: Formulas and Advice

Post by Scarlet Woodland »

I had a search and couldn't see a general thread for oil formulas and related natter. As researching and making magical oils is my current obsession, I thought I'd go out on a limb and create one :fairy: (Please forgive me if I am duplicating... or if my British spellings hurt your brain :mrgreen: ).

Here's the place to share your latest creations, favourite blends, or the great one you read about and really want to try. You could ask if anyone has a good oil recipie for X purpose, or substitution/alternative for that all important, pricey ingredient.

I'll kick things off with a couple recent creations:

Purification Oil: 4 parts Eucalyptus EO, 3 parts White Camphor EO, 1 part Lemon EO (heavily diluted in Jojoba oil, it pays to be careful with camphor, even though white is reasonably safe)

Sexual Energy Oil: 1 part Sandalwood EO, 1 part Cardamom EO, 1 part Patchouli EO, 1 part Ginger EO (diluted in Jojoba)

I also made up a bottle of Fiery Command recently but I won't list the ingredients for the whole internet to see, as while I use it for very innocent purposes... it seriously works and could be misused by the naughty. As for something I'd love to make; Shi Shi oil sounds amazing! I have found formulas for it where I have all the ingredients but from what I understand, it really needs to have master root in it and I can't find any in Europe for under £28 :shock:

A few books I've gotten a lot out of on the topic are:
1) https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Incense ... ingham+oil obviously.
2) https://www.amazon.com/Llewellyns-Compl ... +formulary Not totally on board with some of their famous oil recipies but I've spent most of the week poring through this one and there's soooo many I want to try!
3) https://www.amazon.com/Element-Encyclop ... udika+5000 There's an excellent section in the back of this one with oil, water, ink and incense blends. The Van Van oil I made from here has been a lifesaver many a time.
corvidus

Re: Magical Oils: Formulas and Advice

Post by corvidus »

I like it.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

These sound good!
I wonder if you have any experience with taking the oils internally? Usually we read not to do that at all. However, recently I saw a guide about internal use on website of a regular pharmacy (no hippie style, normal pharmacy that sells prescription drugs) so I was wondering if it can be done? For example, when you have a thyme oil, can you drink a few drops diluted in water or add it to Your lukewarm tea?
I'm curious but since I've read so many times it's not safe I'm not sure.
Scarlet Woodland

moonraingirl wrote:These sound good!
I wonder if you have any experience with taking the oils internally? Usually we read not to do that at all. However, recently I saw a guide about internal use on website of a regular pharmacy (no hippie style, normal pharmacy that sells prescription drugs) so I was wondering if it can be done? For example, when you have a thyme oil, can you drink a few drops diluted in water or add it to Your lukewarm tea?
I'm curious but since I've read so many times it's not safe I'm not sure.
I'd probably want to be a qualified something or other before I suggested anyone else take a risk :anxious: but I have done a couple of things myself.

Tea wise I did make my own earl grey for a while by taking a cheap box of black tea, popping a couple drops of Bergamot EO on a bit of tissue and adding it to the box. I gave the box of tea a good stir to get things even and took the tissue out after a few days. I felt okay about that because that's basically a souped up version of what we can buy already. Keep meaning to try that with one drop of lemon and one of sweet orange, to make lady grey.

I also made a fair bit of lavender and honey yoghurt when I had a mouth infection last year. It tasted pretty unpleasant but between that and an even more disgusting lavender, lemon, tea tree and salt water gargle *shudders* I did get rid of the infection without drugs.

All in all, I'm not dead yet :mrgreen: but I stuck to organic essential oils from quality, theraputic suppliers. I'd also only ingest oils that are used in commercial food and drink. In VERY small quantities at that. Just touching a toothpick to the top of a spice essential oil would be enough to flavour a saucepan of food so these babies are potent! I'd dig obsessively into the safety data before trying anything. A few drops of thyme for example would probably be really bad for you.

The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood is excellent on EO's for health.

Basically check, check again, then check some more before trying anything, stick to organic (just imagine the quantity of pesticides on the tonne of rose petals that went in that bottle :surprisedwitch: ) and only use the teeniest amount you can imagine. Things are possible but I have oils in my collection that would literally kill me if I swallowed them

Wow, if I knew I was going to waffle on this long I would have brought water and used my laptop :lol: . Sorry for the mega waffle.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I like the idea of scenting tea with EO. Do you think it would taste OK with herbal teas such as ladies mantle? That tea helps me but I've had enough of its taste to be honest :-p It's not bad at first but you know, everything gets old after a while.

You're totally right, I won't risk taking the EO internally. Especially when we don't know what really is in those bottles.

Good to know about yoghurt remedy. Though I believe it didn't taste great. While many people love lavender, I'm not really a big fan of it. It's too aromatic for my taste.

I used to add one drop of salvia oil to coconut oil when I did oil pulling method. It works wonders and it whitened my teeth and gums felt healthier. But I'm such a lazy creature, I can't do it for 15 min every day :-/
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I know some EO are safe to take internally. It depends on how they are processed & if they are cut with anything.

Some brands have some EO that are labeled safe for human consumption. Check the labels. I *think* Duterra is one who has consumable EO.

But if you're not sure then try a different method of getting a consumable oil. Take a safe oil, like canola oil, light olive oil, coconut oil (I can't use this, allergic, but it's great for this), anything light. In a show cooker add the herb/plant/peel/etc. Then just barely cover with the oil. Let it cook on low for 48 hours for basic easy to break down things(fragile leaf or stems) & longer for thicker things(thick stems, roots, peels). The longer you let it set the more the oils will draw out of the herb/plant/peel/etc. Judge by the strength of the taste & smell.

Strain into glass bottles & store.

That can go into anything long as the herb/plant/peel/etc was safe to eat too begin with.

This is great with orange & orange peel to make a oil for baking with!

You can also make white vinegar or alcohol(consumable & strong like everclear) infused with your favorite herb/plant/peel/etc & again if you can eat it you can consume the infusion. Fill a jar with these herb/plant/peel/etc, just barely cover with the white vinegar or everclear. Let it set for 2 weeks or up to 3 months. Again judge by smell & taste to see how strong it is.

Orange infused vinegar or alcohol also makes a great house hold cleaner! Orange infused alcohol makes a great drink mixer ingredient, lol!

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Scarlet Woodland

That's a good idea on the herbal teas, I might have to have an experiment myself. Have only tried it with white and black tea but will give that a go when I make up the next brew. My psychic tea blends never taste wildly pleasant :shock:. If all else fails I tend to fling in some cloves, cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick, to drown a brew in chai flavours :mrgreen:.

The oil pulling thing sounds great, I hadn't heard of it before this forum. Suspect I'm also too lazy to stick to it though. Vaguely remember Lemon EO is good for whitening teeth? Could do with some whitening action, what with my coffee habit.
moonraingirl wrote:I like the idea of scenting tea with EO. Do you think it would taste OK with herbal teas such as ladies mantle? That tea helps me but I've had enough of its taste to be honest :-p It's not bad at first but you know, everything gets old after a while.

You're totally right, I won't risk taking the EO internally. Especially when we don't know what really is in those bottles.

Good to know about yoghurt remedy. Though I believe it didn't taste great. While many people love lavender, I'm not really a big fan of it. It's too aromatic for my taste.

I used to add one drop of salvia oil to coconut oil when I did oil pulling method. It works wonders and it whitened my teeth and gums felt healthier. But I'm such a lazy creature, I can't do it for 15 min every day :-/

Am researching away to make a good, all round, psychic/divination/astral annointing oil today. There are loads of good blend ideas in the book I'm reading (number 2 in the top post) but none of them have reached out and squealed "make me!" yet. Feel instinctively drawn to using clove, angelica and clary sage at the moment but lots more fun research to do first :flyingwitch:
Scarlet Woodland

Oooh I've never thought to use my slow cooker for infusing oils... excellent idea Mystie.Graves! My bain marie has started leaking water when I pour, so will definitely be trying this.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I'll put a tissue with orange oil (one of the few oils I have at home) into my tea box today and will let you guys know how it tastes.
That's a great idea about infused oils, mystie. I've done something similar to make a face cream in the past. I heated sunflower oil and lard (yes, pork lard, it's full of good stuff for your skin and if you use just a little tiny bit, it's not as greasy as it sounds) and infused chamomile and callendula in it. I also added a drop of some EO, just don't remember which one :). It was a very good cream and lasted for a long time! However now I use a commercial sunscreen daily since I read about the importance of using it. I know there are mixed opinions about them and they may be toxic. However I decided to give it a try and I spent days googling until I found one that should be relatively safe.
drgnflyspirit

Post by drgnflyspirit »

Scarlet Woodland wrote:I had a search and couldn't see a general thread for oil formulas and related natter. As researching and making magical oils is my current obsession, I thought I'd go out on a limb and create one :fairy: (Please forgive me if I am duplicating... or if my British spellings hurt your brain :mrgreen: ).

Here's the place to share your latest creations, favourite blends, or the great one you read about and really want to try. You could ask if anyone has a good oil recipie for X purpose, or substitution/alternative for that all important, pricey ingredient.

I'll kick things off with a couple recent creations:

Purification Oil: 4 parts Eucalyptus EO, 3 parts White Camphor EO, 1 part Lemon EO (heavily diluted in Jojoba oil, it pays to be careful with camphor, even though white is reasonably safe)

Sexual Energy Oil: 1 part Sandalwood EO, 1 part Cardamom EO, 1 part Patchouli EO, 1 part Ginger EO (diluted in Jojoba)

I also made up a bottle of Fiery Command recently but I won't list the ingredients for the whole internet to see, as while I use it for very innocent purposes... it seriously works and could be misused by the naughty. As for something I'd love to make; Shi Shi oil sounds amazing! I have found formulas for it where I have all the ingredients but from what I understand, it really needs to have master root in it and I can't find any in Europe for under £28 :shock:

A few books I've gotten a lot out of on the topic are:
1) https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Incense ... ingham+oil obviously.
2) https://www.amazon.com/Llewellyns-Compl ... +formulary Not totally on board with some of their famous oil recipies but I've spent most of the week poring through this one and there's soooo many I want to try!
3) https://www.amazon.com/Element-Encyclop ... udika+5000 There's an excellent section in the back of this one with oil, water, ink and incense blends. The Van Van oil I made from here has been a lifesaver many a time.
Thank you so much for starting this thread. I've been shopping for es oils and my ice kicked in..this one says pure this, one is cheaper, this set has better variety, that one has a bigger size. Its been dare I say say over a month... OCD and no time...

I'm going to read this whole thread. Looking for
A kit
Value
Variety
Purity
May ingest as well.

[BLACK HEART SUIT] drgnflyspirit

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
drgnflyspirit

Post by drgnflyspirit »

Mystie.Graves wrote:I know some EO are safe to take internally. It depends on how they are processed & if they are cut with anything.

Some brands have some EO that are labeled safe for human consumption. Check the labels. I *think* Duterra is one who has consumable EO.

But if you're not sure then try a different method of getting a consumable oil. Take a safe oil, like canola oil, light olive oil, coconut oil (I can't use this, allergic, but it's great for this), anything light. In a show cooker add the herb/plant/peel/etc. Then just barely cover with the oil. Let it cook on low for 48 hours for basic easy to break down things(fragile leaf or stems) & longer for thicker things(thick stems, roots, peels). The longer you let it set the more the oils will draw out of the herb/plant/peel/etc. Judge by the strength of the taste & smell.

Strain into glass bottles & store.

That can go into anything long as the herb/plant/peel/etc was safe to eat too begin with.

This is great with orange & orange peel to make a oil for baking with!

You can also make white vinegar or alcohol(consumable & strong like everclear) infused with your favorite herb/plant/peel/etc & again if you can eat it you can consume the infusion. Fill a jar with these herb/plant/peel/etc, just barely cover with the white vinegar or everclear. Let it set for 2 weeks or up to 3 months. Again judge by smell & taste to see how strong it is.

Orange infused vinegar or alcohol also makes a great house hold cleaner! Orange infused alcohol makes a great drink mixer ingredient, lol!

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
[BLACK HEART SUIT]love[BLACK HEART SUIT] this!

I have massive amounts of lavender and rosemary. I will do the crackpot method. I have a mini crock that would be suitable for this and will make the home smell wonderful too.

Do you k ow if I need to be concerned about age, mold? Shelf life,

Should I use the lavender n rosemary flowers or the leaves....hmm time to prune anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”