Disaster Preparedness, I Need What?

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: Disaster Preparedness, I Need What?

Post by planewalker »

Since it just got real. In my personal closet I keep an M-4 with 1,000 Rds, Bulldog with 50 Rds in 10 speed loaders. Survival knife, think Rambo's knife in the movies, 40 lb. draw bow - 3-20 arrow quivers hunting arrows (silent - reusable ammo.) Most people don't need this kind of arsenal, I shoot at the range to keep my eye on so I buy bulk ammo. I keep the ammo and dismounted firing pins in a locked footlocker and have gun-locks on the triggers. The bow string is also dismounted and in the footlocker. My throwing knives are also in the footlocker. Even though I'm crippled up I spar with my son once or twice a month depending on how I'm feeling. Don't worry, he's a martial arts black-belt whose 1/2 my age and he's got 4 inches and 50 pounds on me so I won't hurt him. If you think you're going to have to defend yourself, learn to do it properly from a qualified professional. Take a personal defense course. I consider that to be a good idea for both males and females. It won't make you a martial arts black belt but you could need it. Keep it real. Think about it and plan ahead. I always carry a fake wallet. Twenty bucks in ones and those plastic cards that come in credit card offers. I have only had to use it once. I was 15 years younger and actively teaching my kids for their respective black-belts. That guys life (either ended or crippled) was worth a lot more then a cheap wallet, $20, and some planning.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I thought about self defense some time ago. While I live in an area where something like robbery happens maybe once in a couple of years I'm an ideal victim. I carry all the money from the shop in the evening and I walk alone after dark while being only 150cm (5 feet?) tall. Fortunately I live some 5 min from work. It's right in the centre and there are police cameras and there are always several other people (but not too many so there's no crowd effect). But anyway, sometimes I'm a bit anxious. Last year a woman was robbed with a knife when she went to pick up her social benefits at the post office.

When I heard about it I did a little research about pepper sprays and stun guns. It's not easy to get a real gun legally and I have no interest in going through the procedure.
When I started reading about sprays and stun guns I got overwhelmed and couldn't decide which type would be the best. So I didn't get anything :) If I could chose a weapon I'd like a taser which works in the distance but I think that's even more difficult to get than a gun. Practically impossible for a civilian unless you buy it from the dark web or something.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

A contact taser would be best for you anyway. Any attacker is going to be up close and personal. You can't shot them if they take you in a choke hold from behind but stab a contact taser into a body part and you will get the reaction you want. You may want to think about mis-direction. Get a money belt to hide the money in and keep close to your person. Use something else to look like your carrying the money in. As to a gun, most people look at them as, if you'll excuse the expression, a magic wand that they can wave and everyone will do their bidding. If someone does that to me and I think it is necessary I will cap their @ss. I have a carry permit. I carry my Bulldog holstered in the small of my back so it comes out instead of my wallet if needed. A ,44 mag. hollow point to the belly button will carry the entire spine down the block. End of conflict. I'd still rather give up the money.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Thanks for the advice, I'll get one contact taser, then. I know it's best to give the money and I wouldn't be so concerned if they took it once. It's just that they could learn to do it regularly if I give up easily. They know I go the same way everyday. If anyone attacks me it would be planned in advance, not a random robbery that is common in bigger cities. That doesn't happen here. All the crimes I've ever heard of were carefully planned in advance to target the right person.

That's why I want to do something that would at least scare them a little bit before they get me again.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Happy to supply private advice for your situation. Planiewalker
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Write to bring it up on the active topic list.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thank you ♡
BB

Blue Moon
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Post by Mr Crowley »

Don't forget assessment of the situation because it doesn't matter how big and bad you perceive yourself to be.

Return to “Mental Health”