Trying to incorporate oils and herbs into candle magic...

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
*~InTheBroomCloset~*

Trying to incorporate oils and herbs into candle magic...

Post by *~InTheBroomCloset~* »

I was doing a banishing negativity spell - black candle, black pepper as the herb and basil ess oil as oil. It worked but the essential oil made so sick I threw up later on that night. Is there any alternative oils that could be used instead? I've seen a few anointing oils recipes but I am a little leary of essential oils at the moment. Still really new to this so not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for your help! Blessed be!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Trying to incorporate oils and herbs into candle magic..

Post by SpiritTalker »

I sympathize. I had a similar bad experience with orange essential oil that i absorbed through my palms. Doh. All EOs need to be diluted by a carrier oil. I won't forget again. :shock:

You could use just olive oil with some sprinkled dry basil, or really dilute the EO.

We can make safe, sent-infused oil by putting herbs in a small jar & covering them with a lite oil. Cap it & swirl daily for a month. Strain & store the oil in the jar. Compost spent herbs. Make small batches, it lasts a while.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Many oils will keep a wick lit, just like lamp oil.
I have used olive oil extensively.... never thought to try an essential oil. It officially on my todo list now, thanks to this post.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/home ... e-oil-lamp
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I second ST.

Try a regular oil and add the herbs to that yourself or really dilute the essential oils. I'm sensitive to EO's too. Once I bought some citrus essential oil (specifically for bath water) and mid bath my legs were burning like crazy.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
*~InTheBroomCloset~*

Post by *~InTheBroomCloset~* »

*~InTheBroomCloset~* wrote:I was doing a banishing negativity spell - blk candle, blk pepper as the herb and basil ess oil as oil. It worked but the ess oil made so sick i threw up later on that night. Is there any alternative oils that could be used instead? Ive seen a few anionting oils reciepes but i am alittle leary of ess oils at the moment. Still really new to this so not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for your help! Blessed be!
Thank yall so much. I really appreicate the help.
Last edited by TwilightDancer on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed Tapatalk ad
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I had some jasmine essential oil at one point. I put just a very small amount into a carrier oil. I wish I could remember what carrier oil I used. Too many years ago. I think the suggestion of adding herbs to oil instead of dealing with essential oils is a good one. Some stuff is just a lit more potent than we're expecting.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I always end up using a little (for lack of a better word) "dropper" to avoid bad reactions to EOs... they kill me sometimes. However, I really like ST's suggestion of using olive oil with dry basil sprinkled in- simple fix. You could also take the time to grind your dry herb and really use that time to put your intentions into it.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Nice mortar and pestle sets can be found at metaphysical stores. Their ideal for grinding herbs.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I found my M&P at the hardware/home repair store!
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Gourmet food stores, Supplement & Vitamen store and ,depending on where you live, you can get one at a Herbalist's shop.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Garsh!
If only there was a way to type on my computer, and buy stuff, and have it shipped right to my door. That would be really cool.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... pell_check
Ròcas Cearcall

Post by Ròcas Cearcall »

I generally use olive oil as a carrier, since I have it around. Some of the essential oils can be hard on your body or even leave burn-like spots on your skin. A little goes a long way.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”