Ritual adornment

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Ritual adornment

Post by SpiritTalker »

I just thought it would be interesting to hear what ritual adornment others regularly use, or special features like ritual jewelry. Is this done any more?

Myself, I gave up any plan of wearing a full robe years ago as too impractical and uncomfortable. I had made a special sleeveless, short tunic for my dedication, and like a bride wore it just the one time then packed it away. I wear striped socks for fun & an engraved talisman at all times.

Any one else? :mrgreen:
Shireside

Re: Ritual adornment

Post by Shireside »

No robes or anything like that, but I do have an all-white outfit set aside solely for wear during necromancy. I keep it where I keep incense for the same purpose, so it always smells great and putting it all on helps to strengthen my focus.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Just this day, I bought broadcloth, muslin and osnaburg in varying shades of blue, brown and grey. I also bought grey and brown dyes to further mute the colors of the cloth purchased.
Over the next few weeks I will be working on something of a combination of these:

I dont see my spirituality as regal or holy, but rather as practical and homespun. Hence the simple solid color and mundane cloth types will do...... as for stitching, it will all be done by hand, and much knot magic will be included.

I have done a very little bit of sewing in my life, but this will certainly be a stretch for me.
Wish me luck
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

PS.... Jo-Annes has broadcloth on sale for 70% OFF today and tomorrow :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Great topic! I have been thinking about how to do ritual adornment, and I'm still a little bit torn on the right way to do it. I recently led an interfaith ritual, for which I thought it was important to wear something that is not so off-putting to non-Pagans that they couldn't take me seriously (i.e. no Ren Faire/medieval dresses). I ended up wearing a plain, black maxi dress that I frequently wear to work, a crescent moon pendant that I always wear, and a flower headband (because it was Beltane).

I recently did a solitary ritual at home, though, in some of my belly dance gear that I can't normally wear, including a 15-yard skirt, a coin top, a tribal headdress, and far too much jewelry. THAT was loads of fun! I'm also interested in trying a convertible dress for rituals that require less dancing -- something modern and formal, but still adaptable.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I like this topic too. I find that when I choose skirts and jewellery, tops and scarves, capes and shawls, they all have something very particular to do with the season that were celebrating. I have a big heavy capes for winter and a tiny thin one for summer. Have also made gowns/robes in green, red, black and white. The white one was for initiation but I still wear it for Imbolc.
I do believe it's important to dress for ceremony. It definitely shifts the mind into other realms preparing for the new grooves to be cut into the brain. :mrgreen:

Also I see that when folks are ceremoniously dressed they tend to have more fun and embrace the holiday more fully.... it's good to see other pagans dressed up in their finest crazy garb which, reminds me of the Sunday church services, people really dressed up. It was a time to be at your best, to look your best to shine forth to the God (and now to the Goddess)

Although witchcraft may need to preformed at a moments notice. In which case there maybe no time to change, or you are too far from the closet to go throw on a robe. Not to worry. ..if you are able disrobe, go skyclad !, or the jeans you are in will suffice smiley_dance
The powers that be really don't care what you have on. ::coolglasses::
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”