Ever Felt Unsure About Deity?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Oddball

Ever Felt Unsure About Deity?

Post by Oddball »

A tarot reader picked up on my decision to search for a deity without me telling her. She said she was getting a strong vibe that Freya was reaching out to me, which caught me by surprise. Did a little research on Freya, who's an awesome goddess - gung-ho go-getter who's friendly towards newbies, very witty and kind. The thing is, I don't think I quite click with her or the Norse pantheon. Now, I used to be biased towards Norse culture, because I used to see them as "those terrible Vikings who pillaged and destroyed my Irish family oh noeeeez." Again, did some research, found out I couldn't be further from the truth, and that most Vikings were talented writers, explorers and merchants with a complex culture. So this could just be remnants of my old prejudice surfacing, in which case Freya is a VERY forgiving goddess.

The other thing is, while Freya is pretty much the goddess of multitasking (Beauty, love, fertility, war, poetry, magic..quite a impressive resume!), I get the vibe that she's a goddess of love, which again, I don't quite click with. If Freya was my roommate in college, I think she'd try to hook me up with everyone in the room, get wasted on mead, do karaoke and yet magically be able to ace her exams in the morning while her hair looks amazing. So, a very high-energy goddess with low-energy me. Sounds great for a day or two, but could I keep up with that? I don't mind people who do partying or are in love with love, but that's just not...me. So what do I do?

TLDR - How do you react when a deity reaches out and you're not sure you're a good fit/aren't super attracted to them? And if I'm completely off on Freya, by all means, let me know.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Ever Felt Unsure About Deity?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I talk to them but there are many deities that I just don't really feel a vibe with. Oddly, Freya is one of those goddesses. I find her to be very vain and just incompatible with me. I don't hate her, I am similar to you. If you don't 'click' with that god/dess you don't have to be around them.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Personally I feel every deity has high and low aspects - we try to channel the high aspects and learn of grow from the low aspects (as the two are often interrelated under the surface), yet some prove particularly incompatable, unhealthy or "toxic" for us as individuals.

And these are the "relationships" we should often (*usually) respectfully walk away from ...

... I have done this.

--------

*" ... as long as we stay in our familiar world we remain comfortable but in the end we vegetate, or worse still rot. As soon as we stretch ourselves, to try new ways of being or acting, we enter a zone of slight discomfort which is exciting nonetheless. And at the extreme of this zone of stretching and slight discomfort we come to the next zone: of risk. Entering this territory we enter a world in which we can become uncomfortable in a very real sense. If we push ourselves too far we are hurt, either emotionally, psychically or physically. But if we can push ourselves just enough to break through to another level of being we can gain experiences of real consciousness expansion and ultimately character development, spiritual and psychological growth ..."

- Philip Carr-Gomm
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Oddball,
Did you ever think of one of my Spirit Guides sisters - Hathor? Might be a good fit.
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

Freya is not only the goddess of love, as you said yourself. She also is a strong women who protects her kind. She is the leader of the swanmaidens, who are spirits of light (much liKe angels) and were thought to help people win battles. Freya is the goddess of seid, norse witchcraft. She is also the goddess of home and hearth.

Before she was thought to be a love-war goddess when she lived with the Aesir, she was thee Queen of the Vanir. Her roots go back to Proto-Indo-European people. Do I need to say that I love her very much? :D

Nonetheless, if you have doubts about her that's okay. Tell her about it, she wont be mad. You can talk too her a bit and decide to pull at any time. Im just thinking if shes reaching out to you shes probably got something to tell you. Doesn't have to mean you have to work with her forever. Maybe she only wants to clear the way for some other deity, that's also possible. But id always go with the gods, if they dont ask anything of you that goes strongly against your moral code.
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

I feel unsure about my path all the time, to be frank.
The most I can say is to just feel it out. Do some cursory research first to see if anything about Freya jumps out at you. Read up on some of the myths behind the goddess, and then see if you can feel or listen for her. Sometimes, the gods are just waiting for you to make the first move.
Good luck!
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”