Troubles with visualization

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
JaceGem

Troubles with visualization

Post by JaceGem »

So I've been having a very hard time with visualization when meditating... I keep thinking to use my physical eyes to see things in the blackness while my eyes are shut. Is this correct? Or should I be using my head and not my eyes?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Troubles with visualization

Post by SpiritTalker »

You said it :) . When the eyes are closed, what is there for the rods and cones to sense? Use your image-I-nation. Try not to stress. It comes best when we relax and play.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Try not to intensively focus on visualisation as a "thing". Just meditate. You need to take expectation out of the equation and not predetermine the destination (even with guided meditation which is just an initiator for a tasked event).

Try mastering daydreaming instead, not simply as an idle pastime but as a training technique.
Shireside

Post by Shireside »

Picture a blue elephant eating watermelon by the beach. Bam, visualization~
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

I also scry with closed eyes. A good technique is to imagine you're looking in a mirror in the darkness. It'll lead you to an altered state of consciousness.

As far as visualization goes, it can be tricky. It's a good skill to have, but not the only way to do spiritual work. A technique I use that actually trumps visualization is using my heart to feel what I want.

It's a bit hard to explain, but I've been doing this for years and get better results than I had when I was just visualizing. PM me if you want to learn about it!
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Jacegem,
Relax, slowly close your eyes, feel your heart beat, now see your heart
in your mind, turn it into the valentine's heart, breathe, focus your
attention on your third eye, see it open.
Now you can picture something in your mind's eye, the main thing
is to KNOW its there. Not everyone sees it, but they know its there.
The visual version may come later or sooner than you think... :wink:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm such a practical old bird. I figure if you can picture an outfit to wear for the day, or what isle at the grocery store to find your favorite food, you are visualizing.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Every person {only a few don't} uses visualization for their understanding of what we can call navigating the multiverse. Shireside gave us a classic experience of fantasy visualization - his elephant. Now focus on reality. Your alphabet in Kindergarten or 1st grade. Most people saw those card stock alphabets we had as kids as a border to the chalk boards right in your mind. How many books to write to explain sight to a blind man and how can he tell you of being 100% blind, with its good and bad parts. Try to "see" both fantasy and reality objects during the day, visualization, and again when in bed at night. Then pick out a few to get "into" - color, temporal depth, smell if applicable.
Don't worry about charging to harder things. Practice with a steady evenness.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I hadn't thought about those alphabet cards over the chalkboard in years. I read that, and I was back in Miss Tourtelot's classroom in 1962.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”