Otherkin & Fae

Discussion of Reincarnation, Afterlife, Life-Between-Lives (LBL)...
Ophelia

Otherkin & Fae

Post by Ophelia »

First of all, I'm always surprised at how much criticism people receive on forums for identifying as Otherkin. Somehow it's understood that we don't judge others for their Gods/Goddesses, for using visualization in their magick, or for getting psychic messages from spirits...but people think it's ok to judge someone for identifying as a non-human soul? Not cool.

With that out of the way, let's get onto the real topic here: I read so many articles about magick to communicate with the Fae. Aka Fey, Sidhe, Fairies, Faeries...but nothing on Changelings or Fae Otherkin. Not just here, like, everywhere. So I'm here to tell my story and share the info that I have on what it means to be Fae, collected from both research and personal experience.

What is a Fae? Fae/Faeries/Fairies/Fey are magical beings from another dimension - the Otherworld. Many cultures have similar concepts with varying names per each culture, but the typical Fae that we think of are from Irish or Welsh Celtic culture.

Why are they in another dimension? Why do you have your own house? Because your need your space. A popular belief is that the Fae once inhabited Britain, but fled during the religious and political turmoil of the first couple centuries.

Are there different types? I'm going to focus on Irish/Scottish beliefs here. Sidhe ("shee") is the name of the whimsical, upper-class Fae that we typically think of. Within the Sidhe, you have the Seelie (light) and Unseelie (dark) courts. Please note that these opposing courts are light vs. dark, NOT good vs. evil as some young adult fiction novels would have people believe. Other beings like Pixies, Sprites, Nymphs, Undines, Dryads, etc. are also considered to fall into the category of Fae.

What is a Changeling? Irish Fae culture talks a lot about Changelings. Basically Fae would swap one of their babies for a human baby. The reasons behind this vary from saving a sick human child, a deal made with the Fae, a Fae that wants to explore the human dimension, all the way to explaining autism or claiming that Fae worship the devil and will steal your baby to eat. Obviously the latter two had a specific agenda in mind.

What is a Fae Otherkin? This is when a Fae reincarnates their soul into a human body. This is often because Fae are curious and want to explore our world just as much as we try to explore theirs.

How do I find out if I'm Otherkin or a Changeling? If there was a simple answer to this question, then Otherkin wouldn't be such a controversial topic. There is no test to see if you are Fae, no ritual to become Fae, and most importantly, NO ONE, not even a Fae, can tell you who YOU are.

My story:
Like many of us Wiccans, my path has called to me my whole life. I haven't always followed it, but it certainly called to me. I've always felt a closeness with nature, extreme ease with some types of magick including lucid dreaming, astral travel, easy communication with nature spirits and Fae, and a magnetism towards Morgan le Fey/The Goddess Morrigan and other important Fae figures - before learning anything about Otherkin or Fae magic. From my earliest communications with Fae in remote forests where I grew up, I never felt like I was reaching out to some other race, like a guest in their home. I always felt like they were like me, and vice versa. The same way that most Wiccans feel that a certain deity has called out to them.

Once I learned about the concept of Fae reincarnating into a human body, it just clicked for me. It explained my particular types of magick, what drew me to this path in the first place, and a lot of the paranormal experiences that I've had. I have grown and learned from this path and strengthened areas that have always felt so natural to me. I identify as Unseelie. My strengths are not in healing magick. My friends note that sympathy is something I struggle with, but they can always count on me for the honest truth, even if it's hard to hear. My list of morals seems to be a lot shorter than most people, and is more independently-focused. I like summer sun just as much as the next person, but nothing can replace fall foliage and that crisp air. I've always found that things considered dark and creepy are really just misunderstood, and I seem to get along well and feel at home in these environments.

I hope that this post is informational on both Fae and Otherkin and perhaps resonates with some other Fae on here. Feel free to shoot me a PM or strike up a convo here to share with the rest of the forum regarding Fae/Otherkin/etc. I'd love to know if there are any others here that identify as Fae, and what types of knowledge we could share with each other. I'm very happy to share whatever information I can on both subjects.
theFeeLion

Re: Otherkin & Fae

Post by theFeeLion »

I read this and as I was reading a few things clicked for me. I have always been drawn to folk and fairy tales (I prefer the grittier stories than the fluffy kind). I can be central in an event or group of friends but still feel separate. I have never had any problems connecting with Fae or any issues regarding safety that is so often mentioned in text about Fae (i have always been curious as to why other people feel the Fae are dangerous or need to be approached with caution). I also have certain characteristics which seem to have a Fae lean to them...

I have a pendulum that I decided to use to help me out with some answers. Turns out I was right to ask and thank you for starting this thread! I am also Fae, however, I'm of the light but more on the outskirts (kind of like I feel in this life at times).

I wonder if that is why I identify with Dionysus so much but don't feel the need to serve(?) him...?

Have you looked at any of the work by Brian Froud (my avatar is one of his pictures)? I have his Faeries oracle cards which I think are amazing. They can show how all aspects of life, the light, the dark, and the in-between, have things that both help and hinder... I don't know where I was going with this but oh well lol I'll leave it here for now

:heart: Fee
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Otherkin don't bother me and I used to be critical of it. Not so much now after I figured out that people claiming to be divinities is pretty popular world over. Especially in ancient pagan societies. People have been claiming these things since... Probably the dawn of humanity.

I always think the animal type people are seeing their nahuallis/totems.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

theFeeLion wrote:I read this and as I was reading a few things clicked for me. I have always been drawn to folk and fairy tales (I prefer the grittier stories than the fluffy kind). I can be central in an event or group of friends but still feel separate. I have never had any problems connecting with Fae or any issues regarding safety that is so often mentioned in text about Fae (i have always been curious as to why other people feel the Fae are dangerous or need to be approached with caution). I also have certain characteristics which seem to have a Fae lean to them...

I have a pendulum that I decided to use to help me out with some answers. Turns out I was right to ask and thank you for starting this thread! I am also Fae, however, I'm of the light but more on the outskirts (kind of like I feel in this life at times).

I wonder if that is why I identify with Dionysus so much but don't feel the need to serve(?) him...?

Have you looked at any of the work by Brian Froud (my avatar is one of his pictures)? I have his Faeries oracle cards which I think are amazing. They can show how all aspects of life, the light, the dark, and the in-between, have things that both help and hinder... I don't know where I was going with this but oh well lol I'll leave it here for now

:heart: Fee
You may be feeling a connection as a dryad or nymph. There are fae the world over.

Personally I'm a dragon otherkin but it wasn't until a couple years ago I even knew the term. I don't claim divinity but the goddess has answered several questions of mine directly, mostly because I'm very much a bull headed Taurus and it's very difficult for me to sense all but the strongest spirits and spells unless they are directed at me.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
TheKlabautermann

Post by TheKlabautermann »

Hi,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I have discovered that I am an incarnated elemental being as well.
Ravenfeather

Post by Ravenfeather »

I have no problem with people having a sense of belonging with a certain animal or being, but my only problem with "otherkin" is that most people on the internet who identify with it seem to just do so to stand out among the rest and devolve into an odd sense of disconnection from the world around them as they are so intent on being different than others that those little things that set them apart become the only important part of who they are.
I might not have all the information so feel free to correct me or explain to me your views!
☯"Look at the whole world around you with glittering eyes, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."☯
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

I guarantee there are those individuals. Been there dealt with them. There are some like myself who didn't grow up on the internet exposed to the idea of it and only found a name for it and that others felt that way as we found each other online.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
TheKlabautermann

Post by TheKlabautermann »

I actually had no interest in the subject, and only came to the conclusion from my own personal inner experiences. I had a very hard time accepting it because of how it can be viewed. Thankfully for me, the "human" - "water spirit" line is easily "blurred" as I have appeared human in my dreams pertaining to these memories...but just have the capacity to become water.

So, on the one hand, I accept it (had to), but on the other, that part of me is so, down to Earth (no pun intended) that it doesn't create any sort of huge issue for me.
CaliCrow

Post by CaliCrow »

Well, I'm glad I found this thread before making my own! I am Otherkin myself, my kintype is a shapeshifting mountain elf. But I am also fictionkin, if that bothers anyone please let me know politely, I've had experiences with rude people -- even those already into Otherkin -- telling me I'm insane. THAT makes me laugh, and ask myself, "aren't dragons and far basically 'fictional characters'?" We come from a different plane of existence just like you, how does that imply we're any less real than dragons, elves, and faeries?

Ehh, those are my thoughts.
Keith . 16 years of age . Trans boy . Was called MoonBright when he first joined . Green/Pop Culture witch

Return to “Reincarnation & the Afterlife”