Build your own Stonehenge

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
Pallando

Build your own Stonehenge

Post by Pallando »

I recently visited Chimney Rock in New Mexico. Perfectly aligned ruins there indicate that it was a astonomical calendar used to measure the Earth's polar 'wobble' which cycles every 18.3 years (thereby marking a generation).

It got me thinking...... I feel EXTREMELY called upon to construct my own astronomical observatory, out in nature, from standing or stacked stones. Or perhaps from planted trees. ... Something.

Build your own Stonehenge: http://www.stonehenge-stone-circle.co.u ... ehenge.htm

I should think that it would be quite easy to mark the position on the horizon, of all sabbats and esabbats, for example.
Do any of you have access to a working stone circle that you use regularly?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Build your own Stonehenge

Post by SpiritTalker »

Not a stone circle in sight. I live inner city and my false horizon is the freeway to the east, and the V crotch of an oak tree to the west. Ive eyeballed the 18 year wobble by roof tops and chimneys. And my east facing kitchen door let's light hit the opposite wall on summer solstice sunrise. For over 20 years I've marked the solstice shadow on a wall, with an X. Then I hang a picture over it until the next year. It's my little observatory. I've tracked the moon rise too from my kitchen window. This past solstice was fantastic with Venus above the crescent moon before dawn. For a change,the weather was clear. It's a great hobby.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Land is of issue. Public parks and open spaces discourage rock assembly. But once I geta chunk of dirt, yea.....
Spirit, how cool!
Have you guys ever hear of foamhenge? It's the one in Virginia. A friend of mine went to see one set up in Washington state a few years back. Here some others, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehe ... erivatives
I would like to make a sun tracker too. Two poles set up many feet apart, then you mark the suns shadow one time a day for a year, in the end you should have an infinity symbol.
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Btw, Pallando...have you ever been out to Chaco canyon? I hadn't heard of the Chimney rock, well...not that one anyway.
Chaco is on my bucket list, was so close in 2015, but didn't get out there. :(
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_C ... rical_Park
Bb
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

How about using a large planter and legos? Legos was the first thing that popped into my head. Probably courtesy of Lego obsessed grandkids.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

SnowCat wrote:How about using a large planter and legos? Legos was the first thing that popped into my head. Probably courtesy of Lego obsessed grandkids.

Snow

Ohhhhh... that is a really interesting idea, Snow.

I will give this some VERY deep thought. Maybe legos, maybe not... but you tickled my brain, FOR SURE.

thanks.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

firebirdflys wrote:Btw, Pallando...have you ever been out to Chaco canyon? I hadn't heard of the Chimney rock, well...not that one anyway.
Chaco is on my bucket list, was so close in 2015, but didn't get out there. :(
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_C ... rical_Park
Bb

Yes I have been to Chaco Canyon, as well as Mesa Verde. AAMOF, there are actually dozens of cliff dwellings all over that part of the country, but the overwhelming number of them are on reservation land and closed to the public. It is assumed that Chaco Canyon was the governing city, and the home of the royalty for all of the other settlements, and that Chimney rock was their Vatican or mecca.... housing only the 'priests' and 'astronomers' ... the medicine men, or keepers of secret knowledge.

In my never to be assumed as humble opinion... no visit to that ancient culture is complete without hitting Chimney Rock as well. The big tour was cheap and the guide was awesome.

To grasp the significance of the place understand this; the line of site from the center of the 'sacrificial alter' on the left edge of the pic to the gap between the 'chimneys' aligns perfectly with the northern most setting on the moon on its 18.3 year journey, before it starts 'traveling' back in a southerly direction. One 'celebration' per generation... think maden - mother - crone. ;)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

This is cool. My significant other and I want to make one too! There is a lot of open space where we live, all throughout the region (and oak groves everywhere too, a favored ritual site for Druids). We could get creative with how we mark out the spots (witches are good at hiding things in plain sight, or at least they should be :wink:).

Once it's set up, I would like to do little rituals throughout the year at the spots where our personal life events take place, like birthdays, anniversaries of personal things like accomplishments, or the significant births and deaths around us, etc., take pictures of what the environment looks like during those moments. This should be a very moving and rich long term spiritual project. Maybe it will become a permanent part of our lives.

I also think a project like this helps us share something that was important to our ancestors (all around the world, not just Druids), so I feel this deep sense of "human continuity" in relation to it, as well. Our ancestors worldwide lived agricultural-based lives, heavily relied on the sun's movements for their very survival, though we now enjoy the luxury of (somewhat) taking that for granted.

I've always wanted to more closely study the movements of the sun, and this is a perfect hands-on format to do so (I'm more of a kinesthetic learner). Thank you for sharing this wonderful project with us, Pallando. Look forward to hearing about your experiences with it, as well.

I agree, 'bird, we need to get out to Chaco. We're out here in the West, it's just a car drive away, we have no excuse. :wink:

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kassandra wrote:get out to Chaco. We're out here in the West, it's just a car drive away, we have no excuse.
seriously! :surprisedwitch:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

I arranged flag stones in my back yard to delineate a 12 foot magick circle. There is a sense of serenity inside the circle and it attracts the neighborhood kitties. Would like to add standing stones but not practical here in Florida would cost a small fortune.

Those builders of Stonehenge prior to the Druids must have had a powerful motivation or had access to unknown technology to defy gravity. My theory is that it might have been an effigy representing a star ship in hopes of attracting the visitors return. It does resemble the internal layout of Bob Lazar's "sport model" UFO he back engineered at Area 51.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

The defying of gravity is absolutely not necessary. Only the practical application of human imagination is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pZ7uR6v8c

And I am personally aware of two proven uses for the henge;

1) it is a nearly perfect planetary observatory, though not so much for solar or lunar.
2) it is a resonating machine, meaning that the stones are positioned so that producing various notes from exactly the right spot will naturally amplify them exponentially via the standing wave technique. A series of major and minor chords can be produced. Undoubtedly used by priests to awe the crowd ;)
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Oh ... trust me... Ive been studying.
Siona

Post by Siona »

I have considered maybe making markers for when the sun and moon "rise" and "set" on my altar, in a little clearing in the woods. Might be interesting. I have also seen some doing something similar by making marks on a staff somehow... not sure how to explain that, but always meant to look more into how that was done and why.
Pallando wrote:The defying of gravity is absolutely not necessary. Only the practical application of human imagination is required.
"His passion is moving heavy items." Cracks me up, lol. :lol: Reminds me of the Egyptian pyramids, though. Aliens and other such things tend to get credit, but people have shown you can move huge stones with wooden "rollers" and water to make things easier. Which, ya know, is depicted by the ancient Egyptians themselves, but archeologists looked at them pouring water and thought it was simply for ritual purposes.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx-KrvuiafE
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!
I also picked up a piece of raw Bluestone, from which part of the stones at Stonehenge are hewn. Assuming it sings to me when it arrives, it will likely become my ***Earth Element Representative Stone*** at the Earth point of my circles.

Return to “Druids and Druidry”