Wand Cores...

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
T'a Nuk

Wand Cores...

Post by T'a Nuk »

So in my eternal quest for knowledge and wisdom, I have discovered something rather interesting. My latest passion is wand craft, so therefore I have been devouring any wand lore I can dig up. It is very popular these days among wand makers, (in no small part to the Harry Potter films), to have wands with a magical 'core'. Of course the films suggest such wonderful goodies as 'dragon heart string' and 'phoenix feathers', (as do some crafters), and despite the unreality of such materials, there is actually a bit of merit to the cored wand.

In almost every magick tradition is the fetish, the small item of sacred power and importance that lends itself to spellcasting, talismans, amulets, etc. Often they are stones or crystals, bones, herbs, feathers or flowers, you can see a pattern emerging here. Pretty much anything you would put in a personal medicine pouch could go into a wand.

My first cored wand contained a selennite rod in the haft, since then I have used copper, and soil from Salem. I got a request from a friend to craft a wand with a core of fur and a claw from her favorite cat. Why not! It's an energy focus, it has significance, and it will probably be the best wand she owns because of it! Consider from this point; a lock of hair from a loved one, soil or sand from a special place, dried petals from a sacred or magical herb or flower, even a tightly rolled scroll with a sigil or prayer. The possibilities are amazing!

So at the risk of sounding trendy or hard sell, I can see a new age of highly personal and unique wands with a power focus beyond what just nature provides....
Tyrande

Re: Wand Cores...

Post by Tyrande »

I think the idea of these wands is really interesting. I've too been finding myself more interested in wands lately, though I haven't set out on finding one just yet. Just out of pure curiosity, what is the purpose of filling the core with something/one who has passed on? Is it simply a reminder of their energy or something greater?
Apologies for my naivety.
Blessed be
Tyrande
♡ ♡ ♡ Protect the Ocean, Protect the Land ♡ ♡ ♡
❃ Plant a tree ❃
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

I would be inclined to believe it is mostly psychological. If you consider the fact that Native Americans often carry a small personal medicine pouch that contains these very kinds of items for the purpose of protecting and enhancing personal power, then it isn't really much of a stretch to consider the wand in a similar fashion. As a wand is simply an adjunct to our magic in the sense that it is a tool to help us focus our intentions and creative energy, if adding lets say, ashes of a loved one helps to put you in a beneficial emotional or mental state to conduct your ritual, then by all means use every resource at your disposal. If nothing else, it's a pretty special way to remember a loved one, or a pet or even a journey taken.

Also, when you are ready to take a wand, I hope you consider my talents at your service.
Tyrande

Post by Tyrande »

T'a Nuk wrote:I would be inclined to believe it is mostly psychological. If you consider the fact that Native Americans often carry a small personal medicine pouch that contains these very kinds of items for the purpose of protecting and enhancing personal power, then it isn't really much of a stretch to consider the wand in a similar fashion. As a wand is simply an adjunct to our magic in the sense that it is a tool to help us focus our intentions and creative energy, if adding lets say, ashes of a loved one helps to put you in a beneficial emotional or mental state to conduct your ritual, then by all means use every resource at your disposal. If nothing else, it's a pretty special way to remember a loved one, or a pet or even a journey taken.

Also, when you are ready to take a wand, I hope you consider my talents at your service.
I like your logical stance on this, it's comforting. I'll be sure to send you a PM if I find myself in it's purpose, thank you!
Blessed be
Tyrande
♡ ♡ ♡ Protect the Ocean, Protect the Land ♡ ♡ ♡
❃ Plant a tree ❃

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”