Moonbath tonight

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Pallando

Moonbath tonight

Post by Pallando »

Could not decide if this belongs in this forum or "working with the Moon" forum. Move if needed.

I am conducting my first steps to building my tool set and preparing for initial rituals.

Though I began my path nearly a year ago, I have been in a quandary since day one (or dream one if you will). During this time I have gathered a MASSIVE assortment of wands, books, garments, containers, furniture, implements, candles, tools, crafting items, patterns, herbs, seeds, oils, incenses, components, etc... enough to COMPLETELY fill two bedrooms in my house as if they were storage units, and enough altar tools to create literally 25-30 altars. I am absolutely intimate with every single thrift shop, flea market, and antique store in my city, and I have made numerous purchases from Craig's list, ebay, and my personal favorite, offer up. I cant explain this process except to say, I know I was supposed to do this.

During this seek and find phase, I have conducted not one single ritual. In fact I have never cast a spell, or conducted a ritual. I have been waiting for clarity about MY understanding of processes and procedures.

My quandary of paralysis has stemmed from this inegma:
--How do I conduct rituals to bless and charge tools without the use of blessed tools for the rituals?
--In other words... which comes first, the ritual tools or the tool rituals?

Clarity seeped in on Halloween night... surprise that, huh?

Tonight I am moon bathing my main altar. It is a hand carved desk that I bought on offer up. At 26" X 44", It is a little small for a full work desk or computer desk, but it seems the perfect size for a fully working altar. (I will not be posting a picture of it now... maybe when it is fully operational) Tonight I COMPLETELY disassembled it (around 50 pieces of wood and hardware) and carefully laid it all out in the back yard under the full moon. Every single piece is both in direct contact with the earth, and exposed to the full moon. Early tomorrow morning, at sunrise, I will put it all back together, and place it in an empty room that I have freshly painted and smudged, meditated in and sung some meaningful-to-me songs in.

And so will exist a consecrated place to begin consecrating and building my craft tools. The argument could be on your mind that I should have cast a circle, laid wards, sealed with protections.... but I just don't see my craft that way... I see my craft as one of connection to the world, the moon, and the sun, not bubbled and shielded and isolation from it. So... wide open, connected consecrations for me.

Now I will have a place to both practice, and create. I will use this altar as both my ritual space and my crafting table. First up will probably be hand crafting my book of shadows from scratch.... it seems like my Books of Shadows and various other Grimoires will be ABSOLUTELY fundamental to my personal craft. In anticipation of the process of crafting them, I have gathered an unbelievable array of components and materials to make them, and a really cool assortment of podiums, pillars and book stands to hold them both for storage and for rituals.

So, here's to the full moons and all the beautiful femininity that they remind me of.

Peace
Pallando the Blue
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Moonbath tonight

Post by SpiritTalker »

Oye, I can relate. I went thru a phase of parphanelia collecting. I think of all my accumulation as always "fixin' to commence to begin to get started" & supporting the magical "habit". I seemed to be always seeking that perfectly shaped cauldron. And then I was reminded that there's only 1 Moon, and it gets the job done :P

--How do I conduct rituals to bless and charge tools without the use of blessed tools for the rituals?
This was the theme of G.Gardner's novel, "High Magic's Aid", In which a would be magician hires a witch, and collects his tools for consecration and activation. Chicken or egg. IMO we use the force of our own spiritual connection to the Earth to bless and charge. Our body is the "first tool".

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”