My hawk running buddies

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
moonlass

My hawk running buddies

Post by moonlass »

Today you all get two stories for the price of one! Huzzah!

Story number 1:
A few years ago when I was at Purdue I used to run along a path that followed the river through the woods. It was my escape into nature. Unfortunately Indiana is kind of a weird state and the people of Lafayette weren’t always the most respectful of young women out for a run by themselves in the woods. So I got in the habit of carrying a large stick with me on river runs. Sometimes even just being weirder than the weirdos helps fend them off. One day as I was running along my stick had to fend off a different type of attacker: a hawk. It had come swooping out of the forest straight for my head. Maybe I looked like a tree with my big stick, long limbs, and above average height? I don’t know. But it took a few laps around me while I flailed and yelled at it to please not hurt me before it disappeared back into the woods and I sprinted the remaining two miles home.

Story number 2:
Today I was training with my running group and somehow I had gotten stuck running alone. It was hot and too damn humid (and by that I mean 100% humidity so it felt like I was breathing water) and I still had about a mile and a half left on our 5.5 mile run. I thought I was dying. Did I eat enough? Probably. Had I had enough water? Probably not but the air was full of it. Was I breathing harder than usual? Most definitely. I didn’t think I was going to make it. So I sent a few words to a few of my favorite gods and a few extra beings just to be thorough. About a minute later I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye and look over to see a hawk had landed on the ground next to me and was proceeding to try to awkwardly hop alongside me. I stopped and turned towards it to see if it needed help and also to tell it not to hurt me. It looked me in the eyes and I could see fear there but I’m sure it could also see the fear in my eyes as well. It then jumped into the air and soared off. Somehow then I was able to muster a tiny bit more energy to plow through the rest of that run. Part of it was definitely fueled by adrenaline the rest I’d like to believe was gifted to me by my new hawk friend.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: My hawk running buddies

Post by planewalker »

Hawks are my spirit guides. Maybe the fear in his eyes was for you and not because he feared you.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think planewalker may be right. Our spirit animals often appear not only to help us, but also to push beyond what we think we can do.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

One visit may be reasoned as chance, but two visits not so much. How very fortunate you are. My family is Black Bear. I have seen countless bears, tracked them, observed them up close, even scared them away from the house and camp, but I have yet to actually communicate with one on any real level. Squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, ravens, crows, magpies yes, but they are all slick talkers and were probably just making conversation in hopes for a handout...
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Looks like you have your spirit guide. Look up from time to time and you may see a hawk doing lazy pinion turns in the air above you.
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

planewalker wrote:Looks like you have your spirit guide. Look up from time to time and you may see a hawk doing lazy pinion turns in the air above you.
Also read all you can about the Hawks in your area, learn the species, eating habits, nesting behaviors, everything, then with your new knowledge seek them out. Maybe bring a little treat to offer...
moonlass

Post by moonlass »

What do spirit guides do for us? Why do they contact us? Why do we all have different spirit guides? I have always admired hawks so I could see why I would have a connection with them...
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

moonlass wrote:What do spirit guides do for us? Why do they contact us? Why do we all have different spirit guides? I have always admired hawks so I could see why I would have a connection with them...
You have a lot of good questions here. Spirit guides can act as teachers and protectors. They contact us because they believe that a relationship can be mutually beneficial. We all have different guides because we are individuals. The hawk is probably a good place for you to start exploring, since you have always admired them. The forum has other threads that discuss spirit guides. If you use the search function, you can find many references that might be helpful.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Animals and Pets”