Meditation Mixtape?

Share your favorite music and videos here.
Oddball

Meditation Mixtape?

Post by Oddball »

Hi folks,
I'm putting together a meditation mixtape for myself; does anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't have to be traditional meditation music (I've put a lot of video game music on there :lol: )
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: Meditation Mixtape?

Post by planewalker »

Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Pachelbel's canon in D major (my favourite arrangement being by Sir Neville Marriner of the Academy of St Martin In The Fields, the full orchestral depth is amazing - originally it was chamber music). It always brings to my mind the continuity of life - that life goes ever onward. Of being a small part of something very big.

My first exposure to it was in an old Australian mini-series called "Vietnam" about Australia's involvement in the Vietnam war.

Its repetition is what makes it good meditation music and the way it builds on and plays within the "canon". Music very easy to get lost in.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Thank you both for the classical suggestions! I find that I like Moonlight Sonata best on dark/cloudy days & Pachabel on sunny days. Weird how I associate weather with the songs. I’ve added Satie & Holst for extra classical goodness.

Non-classical example, but I STRONGLY recommend Jeremy Soule for meditation. He doesn’t quite do “circular” music. His music tend to gently wander & soar. I’d best happy to post the playlist here for critique, but i’m not sure if that’s allowed.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

As long as your only claiming that it's your work in finding the pieces of music and deciding what is best, in what order, with what environmental or emotional disposition at the start of the meditation session in question and/or I'm sure you get the idea. I'll be awaiting your play list with anticipation.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Hmm ... Game soundtracks / atmosphere music?

I have several old pc games which had attached audio files / mood music / ost that, with some picking and choosing, fine tuning, could translate well, perhaps with some looping on the shorter tracks - repetition is no bad thing in mediitation but a poorly spliced loop is fairly jarring.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

So, uh...the "little" mixtape ended up much longer than expected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNQLJ1 ... dvLZUdA2pT

Here's how I ended up sorting it:
1. Classical
2. Modern Ambience
3. Aerial/Forest
4. Water
5. Mix of Plains/Native American-inspired songs
6. Desert
7. Mix of Indian-inspired songs
8. Jungle
9. Mountain
10. Tundra
11. "Darker"/Underworld/Surreal
12. Ethereal

Many thanks to Corbin & Planewalker for their suggestions! I hadn't thought of Moonlight Sonata or Pachelbel's Canon. Ended up being a great way to start the playlist, in my opinion!

Please let me know if there are any songs I should add, or if I should take any out (too loud/distracting, for example)!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Also...there are annoying ads at the start of some videos. My apologies >_<

The Lakme Duet cuts off at the end, which is a shame, because it is my favorite version!
MissBliss

Post by MissBliss »

Oddball wrote:So, uh...the "little" mixtape ended up much longer than expected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNQLJ1 ... dvLZUdA2pT

Here's how I ended up sorting it:
1. Classical
2. Modern Ambience
3. Aerial/Forest
4. Water
5. Mix of Plains/Native American-inspired songs
6. Desert
7. Mix of Indian-inspired songs
8. Jungle
9. Mountain
10. Tundra
11. "Darker"/Underworld/Surreal
12. Ethereal

Many thanks to Corbin & Planewalker for their suggestions! I hadn't thought of Moonlight Sonata or Pachelbel's Canon. Ended up being a great way to start the playlist, in my opinion!

Please let me know if there are any songs I should add, or if I should take any out (too loud/distracting, for example)!
Wow, glad I've found this post. Thanks.
“Where words fail, music speaks.”
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I discovered "Canon in D" while listening to Coolio's "C U When U Get There". I kept rewinding and replaying the classical part over and over and finally played it for my dad and asked him what the classical sample was in the song. He told me it was Pachelbel's "Canon in D Major" and I spent the rest of my life downloading every unique and beautiful version of it I could find. I have 14 versions on my PC currently.

The Coolio song is featured in the video below. This isn't the music video. You can find that here, but it's not the best version of the song. They cut off Canon too quickly at the start.

Look what else I found while I was looking up a good Canon Rock to post here. Canon Rock is usually performed on electric guitar (arranged by JerryC, covered by multiple people. It's pretty awesome.) But I found a Canon Rock on acoustic. :shock: :D :shock:

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Here's one of many versions of JerryC's Canon Rock, in case you missed it.

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

And it's the perfect time of year for this one, as I have always been a fan of the Nutcracker Suite byTchaikovsky.
Waltz of the Flowers
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Music & Videos”