Any YouTube videos for beginners?

Share and discuss pagan music, TV shows, movies, and websites. You may offer your occult/witchcraft-related services here.
LC

Any YouTube videos for beginners?

Post by LC »

I am looking for videos on YouTube that gives information for beginners. I have tried searching but I can't seem to find what I want. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
barker

Re: Any YouTube videos for beginners?

Post by barker »

I have seen a lot of new age vidoes on youtube. Just by doing a search for "spirituality."
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What is it that you are particularly seeking from beginner vids? Defining your search by the special topic can help, rather than by WC for beginners. Most beginning WC/Wicca videos are overviews.
If there's anything the EUTM network can help, just ask.
LC

Post by LC »

I am looking for more info on paths and traditions. I know of The British ones but I've heard about kitchen, electric, weather and etc

I am also looking for information on the deities and how you choose or called. I'm trying to see where I fit. I know I shouldn't push anything but I feel like I'm just out in the wind
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hey there, you had a bit of a duplicate post so I deleted the first one. Folks with less than 20 posts have to have approval in this area before their post appears. It is to prevent spam. Sorry bout that.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
LC

Post by LC »

Oops, I'm sorry! My internet did something weird at one point while I was posting yesterday and I thought it didn't send
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Double posting is a right of passage. :)

What are called "path" traditions, refers to sets of beliefs & god-forms from a culture like Faery, Celtic, Icelandic, Norse, Slavonic, Cornish, British, Egyptian, Strega, Classical Greek & Roman etc., which are sorted by cultural practices within a region. Eclectic is mixing cultural practices that appeal to you and not sticking to a specific set of beliefs or gods common to a path from specific culture.

But the personal witchcraft style of practice we are most comfortable using are the things like green witch, hedge witch, kitchen witch, cottage witch, hearth witch etc. There's no specific set of beliefs or cutlural gods associated with a style, but you borrow deities by their occupational associations, like patron saints. (it's like a decorating style. It's easy to tell the diference between a futuristic & a bohemian style, or between a cottage & a manor decor style, right?) You won't find much in videos because there isn't much to be said beyond a definition to tell the styles of practice apart, so videos would only give definitions in passing.

You can look things up individually by name like "kitchen witchcraft", and I know of at least one video that covers kitchen craft household tools, but really, if you cook that's a no-brainer. Spells would be related to style, using what is found in the surroundings Ie. kitchen witchcraft uses cookery, green witchcraft uses natural environment supplies. Hedge witchcraft has both an old-world "traditional" form referring to hedge-crossing as astral travel spell work and working with the spirits of the land, and a "popular" definition of herbalism, and crafting from the flora of village boundary hedges. So you can get driven crazy real easily.

So, in addition to videos, look in the printed form of the Internet. It is confusing because the word "tradition" is used to define both paths and styles. The Country Witch's Cottage blog, and Sarah Anne Lawless are 2 good sources.

Hope this helped. :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just my rambling here, About getting to know deity, or god-forms ... Originally the craft of the witch, from after the ice age, has shamanic roots. If we go back far enough there are common concepts between various regional cultures of a mother goddess (who gave birth to everything) and a horned god of the hunt, interchangeable with forest and agricultural deities. To really over simplify, because i don't know much: Mankind's religious belief might have started with those 2 concepts. Every tribe and regional group of people had names for their own gods...so pantheons evolved over 10,000 years. yadda yadda. Whatszis got to do with finding your deity?

Lots of how we relate to any idea of a god has to do with our culture, and with the symbols everybody in that culture recognizes without needing explanations. This defines how we think. To experience other culture's gods, we have to step outside the box of our definitions. That's the hardest part, because we have to learn to think like another culture.

That implies we have to learn what other cultures think their gods are, how they behave and what their symbols are. Research is necessary, sigh. Study the cultures that attract your interest. Most people can't choose a god because they only know their own culture's concepts and symbols, and take what they get, if they think about it all. And not all god-forms are nice guys, who care about mankind. Some of those old one's are pretty grim, of tooth and claw. Most gods have been depicted with more than one nature.

We have to take time with our self to recognize what we can accept. We don't have to select a pantheon to belong to the long history of witchcraft because most of history isn't like that. We can participate in the Wiccan faith and practice the beliefs of Witchcraft with only a willingness to learn, and allow the gods or spirits to unfold their identity over time. We ask. They respond.

How do we ask? By expressing or vocalizing the inner longing that pulls at our heart of hearts. Really, anything from inner, reflective prayer to the cry of our soul's agony for recognition from the Divine will suffice. Basically we're saying "tell me You know I'm here", followed by "who are You?"

Gods show themselves to us in symbols and synchronicity, coincidental lucky chances, dreams, and what stirs our hearts. Those are the clues we follow, that become a path.

Often times, they will have been in plain sight our entire lives, but we didn't know what it was. Superficial inquiries are usually ignored. When it matters to us, it will matter to Them. All-That- Exists is an image of the Gods. We have to open our minds to the random ways of Deity and just know It's everywhere, and everything, and try not to fuss about the details.

Now then, all that aside.

We can still work with a god-form we admire, at any time. The way to do this is to research the variety of forms. If we are having issues in our life that are the special forte of a particular deity, then we can appeal to that god-form with their symbols & the things they like, and let our imagination absorb their influence over a period of time, during meditation, just to resolve that issue. All we need is their influence within our subconscious. Working within a circle, the easiest way is just to meditate while surrounded by the god-form's symbols. Then afterwards, go about our daily lives, & let it be what it will be.

I checked on YouTube for "how to find your patron goddess" and found a lot of videos. Take your pick.
Again, hope that helps.
LC

Post by LC »

Thank you both! Some of what I have read speak like you have/should have certain named deity to work with. I was terrified that some how I wasn't doing anything right and the Goddess and God wouldn't hear me. I think that fear comes when I practiced Christianity. I could not find peace, calm, or felt love. All I thought, worried, and heard about was going to hell. I have found my path and I am finding peace at last.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Spirit Talker, you always explain things so eloquently. Thank you for that :D
The symbol part I feel is real important, because the human brain was originally hard wired to realize and respond to symbols. Last night we worked with a Goddess we hadn't addressed before. Right away the Priestess who was contacting this deity was shown several symbols that made sense to us. Even though we were only vaguely sure of what this Goddess was about. It felt good and right and in the end the deity wished that we would call on her more. Living and learning! Our Coven group has been in exsistance in some from or another since 1984, don't know why no one ever thought to address this Goddess :?
So I guess my point is that there is time!
Bb, Firebird
Ps, I feel for your anixety regarding hell, it was the primary way the Christian church used fear to control the flock.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Just came by to say "I Love Your Avatar" and decided to stay for the discussion. I'm the simpleton or hopefully simple-ist of the group. Luckily the brand of Christianity slide easily off my soul. I've been told its a rather old one by entities I've no reason to disbelieve. I guess after your inoculated your safe. I'm an Adept of the Light. I see the darkness, the Light and the reality we move through. I have gone from life to death and was allowed back {Although they didn't give me the fricken T-Shirt} after I was pronounced, Shocked the he!! out of the doctor's and told me what I experienced was real. The Christians had some good ideas back in the day. Then they de-criminalized the religion at the Council of Milan c.350 CE and started to play politics with it and there it went down the tubes. You can still hear the slurpping sound all the way from Rome. You can hear it louder in Rome. I've still got a fancy paper that tells me all my acts to the year 1975 AD {no CE for Mother church}are forgiven. I signed the form with religion filled in as Pagan. I paid my money and got my dispensation. I figured every Pagan should own some of the church. It puts it in the proper perspective.
As far as dying. In the forum I would not come out positively for death. I will say though I am firmly anti-suicide {Learn all you can here kids it comes in handy} that I am in no way afraid to die and I will be happy when next I see my Lady Death, gentlest of entities. She has her part to play and will be the guide on my path as she has been before. It will be woefully short but joyously happy.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just wanted to add that we're under no obligation to make witchcraft our religion, although for many it is. And Wicca Is a religion, so is sort of a no brainer. We dont have to want religious experiences, but they're available if wanted. Looking Deity in the eye can be terrifying because nothing else leaves us so naked & vulnerable. Deity won't settle for half-way measures, but does serve grace in small doses so our brains don't fry. Thankyouverymuch. There are small things we can do to help the Wild Hunt along. You might not get a name but you will get an understanding & be able to relate to a Presence that's outside yourself. That can startle a person, but after all, it is who you are seeking...the Deity.

Beyond the basic grounding & centering, we can use chakra opening meditations to open our hailing frequencies to Deity. We can do aura cleansing. We can do small devotional rituals that open pathways. For example: lighting a candle & incense as an offering "Dear Deity, I don't know Your name, but this is for You" uses Fire and Air, which are the Masculine elements. Additionally, setting a stone in a bowl and pouring some water over it with the same "Dear Deity, I don't know Your name, but this is for You" uses The Feminine elements of Earth & Water. We can go whole hog and cast a circle just to surround the lighting and pouring offerings with powerful associations. We can ask for their input as Lady and Lord. Eventually, if we pay attention, we will get the goods...a symbol or reference to reveal the nature & ID of the Force we are addressing.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Spirit knows where of she speaks and as always does it with eloquence and humanity and humility. She forgets to mention that she's on a first name basis with some rather interesting entities from different "places". We've recognized the "Imprint" you carry from some we know in common. Be calm and stay within yourself. That doesn't mean you can't learn. Ask and the knowledge is there. At your core hold respect for all things. You don't have to like something or someentity. but if you lose respect for the people, entities and things around you,then you run the ultimate risk. When you forget to respect all around you, you will forget to respect yourself. You will lose yourself. It can be very hard to find your way back.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Such a tease.

I've long wondered how come the gods don't just sidle up and say, "hi. I'm Sid. glad to meet'ch'ya"? Then it kind of dawned on me, that they converse with our soul-level, in the language of the soul, and are probably chatting a blue streak but our conscious, every-day mind isn't tuned in to the channel.

Back in my social work internship days, I worked weekends in a group home run by a financier associated with a Pentecostal church. One of my jobs was taking the residents to church, and so I had some exposure to the religious practice of speaking in tongues. You really need an interpreter to benefit, and their church had some of both speakers & interpreters. This is also practiced in the Catholic church, so later on in life I had a second dose, and still a third exposure when i was in the convent as one of the sisters was a speaker in tongues and we had some chats. The experiences were not unlike those found in spiritualist churches and private circle gatherings and trance channeling of my experience. Calling down the Moon, channeling the Goddess thru the Priestess, would seem related. These diverse experiences all show Deity's willingness to be present in our midst, through our very selves, as well as our own desires for communing. Hmm. Makes you think.

With all this chattering going on, the pressure to pick-a-pantheon might very well seem over whelming to new comers. And frustrating too. What's the soul's language for crying out loud? Like FBF said, symbols speak volumes. What are the cave paintings of our souls? When we recognize them, we can converse.
Mikayla11

Post by Mikayla11 »

This conversation has answered a lot of my own questions, I'm so glad to be a part of this group, thank you all.

Return to “Websites, Media and Services”