Supplies

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
LC

Supplies

Post by LC »

I am wondering if there are any sites that you can suggest to get altar items and the others items I would need. I am on a tight budget. I know that there are loads of them but I was wondering if there are ones that you prefer because of using them before. The closest place for me to find what I need is 2 hours away, and I am not sure when I can get up there. I have a Hobby Lobby but it doesn't have anything that I need. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Supplies

Post by Firebird »

(YourfFavorite supply website)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27742
I like going to thrift stores, some of the very best treasures are there hidden in the nooks and crannies of these places. Not to mention the affordability of a second hand shop.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It can help to think of Craft supplies as ordinary items in everyday places...unless you like paying for fancy packaging & shipping :wink:. Cooking herbs & spices, olive & flavored oils are found in grocery stores & EOs at some pharmacies. Athames as knives & cauldrons can be found as sporting goods camping equipment. Local thrift shops & “dollar” stores can have much to offer.

I've done my online book shopping (used books cost 1/2 as much as new) & bought candles in bulk from amazon.com for 20 years. I've used Mountain Rose Herbs, 13-Moons, Isis Books & Azure Green over the years & all are still in business which speaks well. Just realize that these places must charge shipping & adjust your expectations. There's no rule saying we have to copy a Ceremonial Ritualist's grand altar style or that gear has to come from a witchy shop rather than a variety store.
LC

Post by LC »

Are athames suppose to be not sharp? Would it be okay if it is sharp? I also saw someone say you can have a altoids tin can be your altar, how does that work?
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is a real good thread http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24263.html
The altoid tin link is towards the end.

I feel the athame can be sharp or dull, it's up to you and safety factors. I have 3, blades, well 4 if I count my floral knife, my first is a scuba diving knife that used to be sharp, (it's dulled up over time and I do not sharpen it.) It's beautiful, cuts both ways has a serated section and a backwards ripper, the hilt is rubberized and has a meta loophole protruding from the bottom, which is where I have tied on ribbons of every color.

Also as part of my work toward becoming a Hps, I made my own blade with an old file and grinder. That was my second blade, Cut myself good on that one, and then decided to make it dulish. It's very personal and has herbs and other things wraped in leather on the hilt, I also etched vines on the blade and made a deerskin scabbard on which I embroidered the triple moon symbol on.

My third, the "dress" blade was forged on the full moon by a wonderful blacksmith from the Ren Faire. And it is very sharp. The wood is purple heart, and has special meaning for me. I know some people who have used their very ornate letter opener, so thankfully it is your choice.

Do be cautious with a sharp blade, I accidentally stabbed a Priest at his challenge and it hit his sternum, ouch. It was his blade, he wanted me to use it, a very sharp and long filet knife.

Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think it depends on how you will use it. In magic a blade is used to project & separate etheric energy & it doesn't need to be razor sharp to do that. Some paths use their blade for etheric work AND to do all the physical work a knife's meant to do. Some folk magic uses scissors instead. Snip snip.

The Altoids or similar small box can be used for a miniature altar-supply kit. It just holds a pack of incense-matches and tea light candle (or birthday candles.) A teeny bottle of water & another of oil, and fast-food salt packet fit as well. Decorate the can as a shrine with printed photos & Voila!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've known of a couple who used a screw driver & a garden trowel as their athames because they regularly use these tools in their work-a-day world & have a relationship with their tool. And people who aren't comfortable using a knife sometimes use a letter opener instead.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”