My adventures with Feng Shui and Magic

Share photos of your altars or other magical tools and pagan decor.
EveningWithAstaroth

My adventures with Feng Shui and Magic

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Hi.

I have not posted for quite some while, but have been around the site reading from time to time.

Recently I have been trying to utilize Feng Shui more around my space. I had done little things around the space at first, but I really have been trying to utilize it with Magic recently, as I have been reading about Eastern Cultures, spirituality and practice. Mostly Japanese Zen, which led me to read on Japanese magical practices.

Therefore as of late I have been trying to incorporate A touch of Feng Shui usage, as well as trying to Incorporate usage of the Chinese Five Elements, rather than the uses of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, many use already.

I have worked on more than a few different altars lately trying things out, and seeing what I can come up with. Some are designated for certain purposes and intents, while others are simply for ordinary work. Still there are others that are more for Feng shui enhancement itself. Some are not even entire altars, but attempts at Feng Shui enhancements that are incorporated into the whole of an already placed altar.

I only plan on sharing two images of a couple here today, though there are more, and perhaps at a later date share others.

So to it: This idea actually came to me from an image a member had shared in a thread here already. It is a simple candle with a wrap around necklace, and a small statue set up.

Mine of course is slightly different but still utilizes the candle and necklace idea.

In the center is a tea light candle (Fire) placed in the center of a clear glass decorative plate, the candle did not come out too visible in the photo but it is there, around the candle is placed a string of light pink rosary beads, surrounding both the candle and rosaries is a simple butterfly pendant choker necklace (one of my favorites), placed atop the rosary beads near the bottom of the candle are two angel pins (Metal)- one gold- the other a light pearl color- among the rosary in the center I've placed two stones (Earth) an amethyst, and clear quartz. To bottom left semi outside the circle is placed a square purple bead with twine, upper right near the cross within the circle I've placed a small brown bead. Upper left placed semi out of circle is a piece of beach collected drift wood (Wood) And finally- hope this is visible enough- around the edging of the plate around the circle I've sprinkled homemade Holy Water in droplets (Water).

The Five Chinese Elements are: Fire, Metal, Earth, Wood, Water.

They do not use Air as an Element.

And finally here the last photo for this evening is a small Ancestral Altar, dedicated to Ancestors, passed relatives, friends, etc.

This is set up on an Eastern wall, The East is the direction of the Element Wood. The color representing this Element is Green. I made this Altar without Feng Shui in mind and only added a small Feng Shui enhancement. I hung a knick knack wooden bench to a wall, I made a small pillow out of kerchief material I had featuring a rose, I placed two sea shells a top the pillow, a small incense burner in the middle of the bench and another larger sea shell off to the other side. I added a wall art photo of a rose and two keys above the bench, and attached a large key with keyring on the bottom rail of the bench. Placed to either side of the Ancestral Altar I hung up two tea-light scones and placed white tea lights atop those. The final touch here was the added Feng Shui Enhancement to represent the Element Wood. I added a small Green lavender sapling atop of the sea shells placed as simply and as out of the way of the incense burner as I possibly could manage.

So there are a couple of the altars I have been working on, hope you guys enjoy viewing them.

Any thoughts, comments, or ideas for enhancement are appreciated.

Thank you.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: My adventures with Feng Shui and Magic

Post by planewalker »

Beautiful work! There is a fifth element that goes with Air, Earth, Fire and Water. "Spirit" is the most basic of the elements. It can be both the foundation and roofing of our "house" of workings. We {singular and plural} who are using the Craft must first, last and always stay focused to guide our workings and make them effective in the way that is intended. Intent is the "child" of Spirit.
EveningWithAstaroth

Thank you.

Yes I know Spirit is the fifth Element in the western version of the five elements.

I have not been using those recently, but I have in the past. To be honest the western five elements don't resonate for me the same way the Chinese version does. I don't know why exactly it is, the Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Spirit, combination simply holds no interest for me as of late.

I have been utilizing to my best ability the Chinese five elements. I find while I am setting the altar top in this way, it holds more of my interest. It really is a strange feeling for me as for years I no longer practiced magic, and instead devoted study to native beliefs, and Shamanistic practices, beliefs.

So I have noticed it can feel very strange for me when working magic. There is much I had previously practiced that I left behind, and have not come back to.

Spells for an example. I actually don't cast spells if you could believe that. That is not exactly the type of magic I practice. I do not often use sigil, petition or other such things.

I do things much differently than what one who defines as Wiccan may.

I am not Wiccan, I call myself something else.

I have been more inclined to Shamanistic practice or belief, but as of late I have taken a high interest in Eastern culture, or like I had said, Japanese beliefs. Am currently simply learning.

Thank you for your response. When I have more time I may post a couple other photos of some of the altar work I have been doing.

Blessings.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

I look forward to it. May your path to understanding that "fits" you properly be smooth.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi.

Thank you Planewalker, although I have come to expect my particular path, to have its fair share of rocky travels.

Well, yesterday evening I went out for a good shop, I had in mind to try and find some altar tools that had been missing from my space, namely a Chalice. I found about 3 different cups I had interest in and ended up purchasing, as well as two bowls. Due to this and the fact I also found quite a bit more than expected including a new small petition container, I decided last night to start my big clean of the year, and ended up not only decorating my space I set aside for my main Altar, but moving a few more pieces of my Altar furniture and decided to designate one whole wall as a main work area or space.

I have a few photos here of some of my table spaces in so far.

This photo here is of the main Altar, namely the current seating for this area I am using. My seating for this area consists simply of a blue ottoman, decorated with a few stickers, and a throw pillow of beige, gold, brown, and red set to the side. I have only this small seating set up here as a place to sit in case I need to, as I mostly plan to work in this area while standing anyway. Currently this will suit my purposes, I will update it however if I find a better seating arrangement is necessary.

This is the current photo of the table space right next to the previous photo of my main Altar area. This table space is designated as more of an Eastern space, it is set up how a Japanese Buddhist Butsudan may look, of course without an extremely expensive genuine Japanese Butsudan, I instead have a glass door cabinet to serve a similar purpose stationed on a small dresser top. There on the dresser top to the front I have a small Christmas tree stand serving a purpose as the area in which I have my homemade Holy water placed. The rim is decorated with small sea shells and inside it is decorated with a couple small evergreen branch pieces and a four pine cones. This set up is the work area for which to write in my BOS, I have my tablet placed on the dresser top currently for any information I may wish to look up or into.

This space, perhaps is harder to see exactly, in the back of this table top I have a magazine rack dedicated as a small book storage area, with another red, brown, beige decorative pillow lining the back, this is where I keep books with some spiritual content I have read, and have to grab when the mood strikes. It also is the work area I have designated for herbal work, cutting, grinding, and work with herbs and other plants. I have this Altar top dedicated for this purpose as the main Altar filled with tools, and representations to be used in ritual work, for this reason I have dedicated a separate space for herb and plant work. This space also holds a small knick knack table bench with an offering plate upon it. This is an extra offering plate I plan to use for another purpose than my main ritual devotional plates. meaning I have the ones in my main altar space for my own deity offerings, but I have this plate on this space set aside for another purpose, though I have not yet figured out what purpose momentarily ( suggestions on this are welcome).

This is currently my main Altar space or table top. It is a large oval cabinet with a cupboard below and the large oval table top area. The cabinet despite convenient for supply storage does not currently suit this purpose, as I currently need the cabinet space. The table top however I have designated as the main Altar top. At a later date I will probably have another large table space for Altar purpose, once it is cleared of electronics to be put away. Featured on the Altar top here are two bowls one blue and one red. Within the blue and red bowl is each a red rose candle floating on water within the bowls. Around the roses are floating small red tea light candles in each bowl. In the bottom of the blue bowl is red gems, that are weighted and sink to the bottom, in the bottom of the red one too are gems, but these ones are blue. These bowls serve the function of God and Goddess candles, only I call them God and Goddess Bowls. Contrary to what others may think, the red rose candles I have set to never be lit, and rather use the small tea light candles to light and set to float on the water surface.

As well as the bowls there are three glasses within the photo, one is a devotional ale cup, one is the chalice, and the other is an extra. There are also two heart shaped containers on top, one blue and one red. These serve as tiny incense and tea light storage boxes. The newly purchased petition box is on the Altar top as well, but not visible in this photo.

And this last photo, as I now grow a touch tired of writing and wish soon to break and rest, is an area on the top of the main Altar top where I have set a knick knack corner caddy for the express purpose of designating areas for storage, and a designated small table space in the middle of the caddy for a specific intent. The middle table top of the caddy shown here with the small blue and red candles, and the blue and red love bird is an area I have for manifestation intent, and gratitude. There is the base of an old (now broken) glass candle lantern holder, with a small red candle holder now set on the top. In this area while in gratitude for things manifested, a small simple white tea light candle is lit and placed within the red holder.

So that is the most recent work I have been doing, trying to get the Altars all straightened out. I seem to notice a bit of trouble with Clutter on the Main Altar area, but at least now I have finally got some tools there that serve a purpose there. I had been wanting to find a decent Chalice, and cups. Lately I have run across holiday themed glasses I had not too much interest in, things like easter and halloween, then I realized I should perhaps try the glassware area itself, and I found the blue glasses, and the bowls. I had originally been looking for two cups a red and blue one, but instead found the red and blue bowls. Unfortunately they had no red glasses as I had in mind. However I do love the bowls, and I am not un-fond of the bluish glassware either.

Apologies for the big post. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Blessings.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Don't be sorry. You have some beautiful spaces. You'll be designing for others if you keep this up.
EveningWithAstaroth

A few areas in my altar space have changed recently, or they are coming together a bit now, as they were originally intended. Still a lot of work to do in some specific areas, while other areas are coming along very well.

Sharing a few updated photos.

This photo is of a salt lamp, added to the main altar top- planning to turn the lamp on for ambiance during rituals. It has taken unfortunately the space of the mini fire pit (Or my fire bowl- designed for burning loose herbs), momentarily I have the mini fire pit set to a side storage table until I can find a more permanent spot.

This is a photo of a devotional area to the Japanese Kami Taira no Masakado. I recently added a couple Butterfly napkin rings, and a couple red butterfly decorations. I also changed out the incense censor to a smaller one feeling my old round white one was a bit bulky or too large.

Last this is a photo of a blue mask added to the top section or stair of my butsudan cabinet. Next to the mask I have also added a small Buddha figurine, but have not been able to get a good quality image of both the figurine and the blue mask just yet. Hoping to be able to get a better quality image of the butsudan soon.
EveningWithAstaroth

Today I went out to the beach in search of shells, sea glass, and small stones.

Whilst there I found a piece of driftwood, and figured a small sea-witchery altar should be in the making, and come in use.

I have a photo here of the small sea-witchery altar I put together, I figured I'd share.

A driftwood branch with bits of sea glass, shells, and small stones. There is a small pottery piece to the front with a couple very very small natural polished stones, yet I may want to do something different with this area. Suggestions there are welcome. I am not sure what but would like to aim for something different in the area. The pottery piece with the small stones itself I don't mind. Perhaps I can do something else with the stones around it? Also there, is a clam shell to the far right with a cone of sandalwood incense and loose dried Lilac herb, and to the far left a touch of greenery with the small branch and leaves of the Lilac twig the herb came from.

Any different ideas and suggestions are welcome... of course.

Blessings.
GhostRider
Banned Member

Post by GhostRider »

I think it looks great, but if you want suggestions maybe a small container of sea-water. If you get real fancy you could put a mirror in the water and get a reflecting pool effect.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I absolutely adore that oval cabinet in itself as a sumptuous piece of furniture :)
EveningWithAstaroth

SpiritTalker wrote:I absolutely adore that oval cabinet in itself as a sumptuous piece of furniture :)
Thank you. My mother had bought it for me, years after I purchased an old roll top desk for 200 dollars. My father lost the desk when he lost our storage locker. Never got to set it up and use it. It was too difficult for him to move. Gorgeous desk... :cry:

I have again organized the altar top on it, and as well have cleared out the cabinet and can now use the inside cabinet of it for storage of altar items, incense, extra candles etc.

I've a few photos here of some of the altars which have been re-arranged, as I have moved back to the previous room. This room has a big clothes closet with a closet organizer, and I really need the closet space. Good to be back in the old room, but still have a long way to go to get everything- including the closet organized.

This is a small ancestral altar with storage in the small cabinet. Finished decorating it some more today with a Summer red flower from the garden, which has just bloomed.

This is the top of the oval cabinet now re-decorated. The altar candles on the top of the kami shrine are lit tonight for the first time, in celebration of getting it a bit more organized.

These are some newly purchased items for the altar top. My old God bowls have been replaced with the smaller star shaped blue and red candle holder, and the rose candles placed into these. Also on the altar top is a newly purchased clear glass offering dish, and a blue based and an orange based couple of ice cream cups. These are used for food during ritual and the plate more for devotion. I've had ice cream, salsa, and mixed drink all in one of the ice cream cups. While they are ice cream cups they are multi-purpose- great for dips as well it seems.

This is a photo of some natural decorations placed on the main altar- daisies I went out and harvested today, and my vase with some old dead wood branches I harvested from the area during early spring.

I love the red roots on the vase. I was called to it when I found it at a local store and purchased one.

That is what I have been up to. I counted my altars the other day and realized I have about 7 or 8 different altar spaces in the room designated for different purposes.

I've also re-decorated the sea witchery altar and added a bit to it, I decided to move it entirely and give it it's own space. I do not have photos of the area at the time, but may have some later.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

As always, your work is beautiful. Can hardly wait to see what's next.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Cute and beautiful objects but I would de-clutter and simplify. The Gods are not impressed with material things. Your altar is sacred space, a wee bit distant from materialism and a portal between worlds. Keep it simple and focused as our way of life should be. However if all this is beneficial for you pay no mind to my comment continue to enjoy as is best for you. Blessings
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi.

Thank you Shekinah, for your thoughts. I do re-arrange the altar every now and then. I have put away some things I had previously had on it I was not using, and have re-decorated it for a different purpose. I currently have it set up as a manifestation altar so a lot of what is currently on it serves as symbolism for that which I'd like to manifest.

A current photo look like this:

Only in the middle of the altar I do have placed a mid-summer flower arrangement I have just finished with some garden flowers I cut from my garden:

So this arrangement sits in the middle as a devotion. I do a lot of devotion offerings to deity within my craft so I always leave just enough room for that on this main altar- main altar. I have a clearer, differing altar for working purposes currently.

Thank you for the advice. I tend to find most of the time however, the way I keep and have things set up serves me just fine. I practice witchcraft, I find it easier to practice if my altar is not barren. I am also unconventional however, a lot on my altar are actually used as tools, just not the standard Wicca tools. I'm not Wiccan anyway, merely Pagan, so I find my set up tends to work for me as needed, until I re-arrange- which I usually do with a different intent at heart.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think I "get" what you're doing, EWA. To my way of thinking, it's like using the altar itself as an energy conductor. We tap into our neural pathways & these links power the intention. It's a very Intuitive, wholistic process.

I've done this sometimes but the most altars I've had going at one time was 3; & 2 were devotional with the 3rd being a long term spell for my spiritual readjustment from an experience I'd had but wasn't processing well. All 3 altars aided integration...blah-blah-blah.

Love the lilies! Their colors balance & blend peacefully into their vase. The touch of blue wraps it up like an exclamation point.

Return to “Altar Pictures”